Love Ke70's Hks 1g 2 Door Ke70

love ke70

Members dont see this ad
As I said man, When Pete decides not to come into work I get pulled away from fabrication and have to do servicing & mechanical, He nearly had the last 2 weeks off.

i wasnt having a go at you...I'm just sick of hearing an excuse everytime i call, rather than a progress report. I'm sure if you had a car in a shop for a year with no progress you wouldnt be the most understanding person either...i don't give a shit if its because his apprentice is a shit employee or not, i know it makes it hard when he takes days off without even calling, at the end of the day, it comes down to how hes running the business. he can obviously get away with it, which is why things never get done when they should.

or thats how it looks to me...

OWANF, cams cage, and then just argue with ANDRA, probably easier to do it that way, as i am planning on trying to make it into a fast circuit car...which should be a fun challenge...

although that said, 1JZ rolla on toymods, with a 1JZ ae71 panno, weighed his car and F/R was about 52/48. so it may not be that far off balance with the right setup it may just work...especially considering the pannos are lighter than the sedans

i considered it, hard to find someone willing to do the whole job.

especially at a good price.

i had a guy that would do the body work for me a couple of months ago, he does some seriously nice restos, and it would have cost me more, but i know the job would have been 100% perfect, but he couldnt fit me in for another 3 months, if the progress stalls much more i will think seriously about it, i just wanna get body and cage done before NCOP comes in, then its not much work dropping motor in and then it should be smooth sailing...

"should" haha

i wasnt having a go at you...I'm just sick of hearing an excuse everytime i call, rather than a progress report. I'm sure if you had a car in a shop for a year with no progress you wouldnt be the most understanding person either...i don't give a shit if its because his apprentice is a shit employee or not, i know it makes it hard when he takes days off without even calling, at the end of the day, it comes down to how hes running the business. he can obviously get away with it, which is why things never get done when they should.

or thats how it looks to me...

OWANF, cams cage, and then just argue with ANDRA, probably easier to do it that way, as i am planning on trying to make it into a fast circuit car...which should be a fun challenge...

although that said, 1JZ rolla on toymods, with a 1JZ ae71 panno, weighed his car and F/R was about 52/48. so it may not be that far off balance with the right setup it may just work...especially considering the pannos are lighter than the sedans

Yeah man I completely understand where your coming from, I had a talk to Mick tonight as you aren't the only person with a car there that has been waiting a while, I'm going to start working back and doing saturdays to catch up on everything.

yeah, we'll see what happens, i messaged mick friday arvo, said if he wanted to do a saturday and try finish one side off, i was happy to go in and help out, hold things, help align, just try be of use, rather than him having to pay 2 people to be there to do it, but he was off to the dentist and didnt wanna work saturday.

ill talk to him later in the week again and see how things are going, i will make a trip up once u get the section in and door aligned, and check it all out, I'm gonna be fussy with body lines and door gaps :P

Edited by love ke70

• 4 months later...

no progress to speak of, but this thread is in need of an update.

the other day my brand new set of chrome bumpers arrived from the Netherlands. $450 Au including shipping, so i was pretty chuffed with that :) came with indicators but no end caps.

we got this far with the conversion

05092009061-1.jpg

and as i want to fit the 2 door glass, the C pillar was going to need to be modified as it comes back further than the 4 door pillar, and neither me or the mechanic was keen to chop the pillar up.

and the next issue we realised, was the factory 2 door glass is a pop-out style window, and the seal sits on a metal bead like the rear window does, and the hinges pull it tight against it.

so we were going to have to add a strip for the seal all the way around then muck around getting the hinges right etc etc.

so i started contacting americans about getting that section cut out and shipped to me.

one fellow even went so far as to actually cut a car up for me, sent me the pics, and then i never heard from him again.

so basically since september every day i have been checking american forums for cars and trying to organise getting parts.

at the moment i have a bloke selling a shell for 200 bucks, waiting to see pics of that, but hopefully i will be shipping the whole thing over and we will unstitch it infront of the B pillar and take the whole side off, back to around the taillights, so there are no panel welds down the sides, and everything will be where its meant to be, so should work out rather nicely.

if you need anything brought from the states i can fit things inside the car and ship them here...

so thats where we are up to at the moment :(

On the engineering front, i need to contact my engineer as we have changed the way we were doing it quite a bit.

when i contacted QLD transport they wanted me to do it through a pair of codes, can't remember them now, but they were the codes for converting a sedan to a convertible or cabriolet, and has a single paragraph about 4 door to 2 door conversion, so they said i had to use those codes.

My engineer had a pink fit when i told him this, as so much of the testing was not applicable, and he said if he had done that without their suggestion they would prosecute him for improper practices. and yes it would have been the full beaming and torsional test.

so we spent a couple of weeks chasing the big wigs of modifications, and finally got the permission for him to be a signatory engineer on the car, and not use the blue plate rulings. which made me rather happy :y: his name is Earl Gilchrist if you need an engineer to do your car.

his reasoning was that as it was a 4 door, and we moving the B pillar by less than 250mm and using factory parts, and then welding in the rear doors, it was obviously going to end up stiffer than it started, so no need to do the beaming and torsional tests.

the chassis between the two are the same, so i shouldnt have an issue with the way I'm planning on doing this conversion :(

hope that helps :)

cheers, andy

Edited by love ke70

• 5 months later...

yes and no.

i now own a 2 door

and I'm importing the car whole...

probably gonna register that, not sure.

its quad headlight, 2 door for 700 US.

forms are in at customs, so I'm waiting on approval to import, then i just need to pay for shipping and we are in action.

praying the dollar comes back up, hit 85 wednesday, back to 82 now :)

I'm gonna buy about 4 grands worth of tools for work and put them in the car, shipping company will secure and write an inventory for them all, and i may bring some tyres and whatever else, to make the shipping worth while.

then once the car is here i will decide on either using that and doing the steering conversion, or leaving it LHD hehe, or cutting it up and using the shell i was going to originally.

little steps....

• 2 weeks later...

i don't have alot of good ones, and its nothing like it will look when its done this time around, but this is how it was, with the gas setup on it.

RIMG0001.jpg

DSCN0329.jpg

then we went to the single turbo, which made life a bit easier

DSCN0361.jpg

hopefully hear from customs this week :P