Time To Buff Up - Advice Please

Okay guys, we are 3 months out from summer. It's time to get back into some free weights again.

What I want is some tips from guys that know what they are doing rather than spare room dumbbell cowboys.

I don't want to join a gym because firstly it is time consuming by the time you get home, change, go to the gym blah blah blah. Plus I feel ridiculous at a gym. Plus it costs lots of money that could otherwise be spent on Beam.... I mean, my Rolla. :bash:

So, at my disposal I have:

- Dumbbells with plenty of different weights to attach

- A Straight Bar

- A not so straight bar (dunno what they are called but they have the little triangle sections about shoulder width apart. Looks like this ___/\____/\___ )

- Bench press

- Chin-up bar

Now I am a pretty busy guy so time is at a premium, but I am willing to work hard in limited time sessions. Half hour a day perhaps.

What I want is just to tone up the top half..... not worried about the bottom half..... surely a bit of running will take care of that so not interested in weights for legs etc. Just want to focus on shoulders, arms, chest and stomach I guess.

So what are the best things to be doing? Is it best to do heavier weights with less reps to gain greater results? I'm not looking for stamina which is what you get from less weights and more reps. I'm just looking for faster visible results.

What actual exercises are best for what I am looking for?

What about protein drinks? Are these actually helpful? I have tried Musashi Bulk, but can't say I really put in the effort with the weights so didn't really see a benefit.

Just to clarify...... I'm not trying to perform a miracle by getting bigger by not doing anything.... am willing to work hard, but have time constraints so I want the best return on the amount of time I am able to invest.

I am certainly no expert on any of this so I'd like some advice from anyone that knows what they are talking about. As I mentioned...... summer is only 3 months away. :)

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

- A not so straight bar (dunno what they are called but they have the little triangle sections about shoulder width apart. Looks like this ___/\____/\___ )

curl bar :bash:

other than that i can't really help you out :)

+1 for being in the lack of time boat atm :y:

Hey dude... good to see someone wanting to get buff around here.

If you have not done much weights work for a while, I'd be suggesting to do some core strength exercising first.

If you wanna concentrate on your chest, 3 to 4 sets of diamond pushups (or close grip pushups, as they are sometimes called), and same applies to normal pushups. You can do incline pushups, with your feet elevated, but hands on the floor (this does the top part of your pecs; which isn't an easy part to build). If yo can find yourself an area to do dips... do 3 sets to failure. if there isn't an area to do dips... do bench dips... 3 sets to failure. Your tris won't forgive you for them now, but they'll thank you for it later.

For your back, do wide grip chin up. This will do SO much for your core strength and give you the ever-so-desired "V" shape. These are NOT easy and I found when I started doing these, I was only punching out maybe 3 sets of 2 (struggling on the last set). I done them every 2nd-3rd day and within weeks, I was doing 3 sets of 10 unassisted and my back BLEW right up.

Crunches, leg raisers and bicycle crunches do your abs (also cardio and diet)

For your legs, squats, calf raises and lunges is PLENTY!

With the weights... you've got your Zed-Bar (the not so straight one you were talking about). If you want blown up bi's, do what we call 24s! Grab the z-bar and go a light weight. Because you are going to do 4 sets of 24 reps with a difference. The first 8 reps, start from your arms down and curl the bar up to being level with your belt and back down again. On the 8th rep, curl the bar to level with your belt and curl up all the way to your chest and back down to the level of your belt... then then the last 8 reps.... all the way down and all the way up. THIS WILL set your biceps on fire! I gained about 3 inches in 2 months doing this. Also, concentrated curls with your dumbbells are good.

For your triceps, grab the zed bar again and get to your benching area. Do skullcrushers and close grip bench presses.

Chest... grab your flat bar and do 3-4 sets for flat bench, inclined bench and declined bench presses. Simple enough. You can do flies in the same manner as yourbench presses.

Shoulders... you can do military presses with the flat bar (standing up and lift from off your chest and above your head), or you can do upright rows with the Zed-bar (standing exercises, bar in both hands and close grip the bar on this angle / \ and lift up to your chin,keeping the bar close to your body, and back down again). Another one for your shoulders are dumbbell raises. You can do these front on for your front delts, side on for your middle delts and you can sit on a bench, lean forward with your legs closed in front of you. With the weights underneath your legs, grab the dumbbells and raises your arms... concentrate on squeezing your rear shoulders and upper traps though. Also.. dumbbell or straightbar shrugs... that'll work on your traps and help remove the look of actually having a neck and looking like Goldberg from WWE! hahaha

If you want me to clear up what I've written so far... ask away and I'll explain things a bit better. These were half the exercises I done and unfortunately, I injured my right tricep going too hard and i have only just started back again at the gym. In the meantime... i lost my size from the 4 months I worked out and I was 86kg and muscle. I'm looking for 90kg and muscle for my height.

And supplements... I take Muscletech gear. NitroTech is the protein poweder and Celltech is a creatine formula. If you want quick recovery, get yourself some L-Glutamine... that stuff rocks! But of ALL things..... stretch before and after... even when you don't work out... just stretch as this defines your muscles and makes them more pliable too.

Hope this gives you a kick start :bash: Enjoy...

oh yeah.. and if you want to be ripped... low weight and high reps. (10-15 per set)

to bulk up and increase your strength.... high weight and low reps. (6-8 per set)

You sir..... are an absolute champion !!!! Thanks heaps for taking the time to write that all up. I am sure I will have more questions for you, but first I need to digest all that.

Thanks again bro. :bash:

My pleasure, mate. You've just motivated me to get back into things again! I slackened off these last 3 months.

I love working on shoulders! My favorite workout. Very intense and so many variations, it's ridiculous. I could've kept reeling off all these other exercises, but see how you go with all these.

And another thing.... nothing more than 45 minutes in the gym. Anything more and your body goes into a catabolic state and starts to source your muscles for protein required. Not good. Have something an hour before you work out (to eat) and have a shake straigt after work out. Lots of fruit.... and drink warm water during the day. Like, kettle water cooled down a little. It's a natural flush and very good for the body. put a splash of lemon through it and it's very good for your metabolism too.

i could write an essay to explain all this, but really don't have the time atm.

Couple of quick points:

don't bother with the protein powder your better off focusing more on getting your diet in check.

no so straight bar is called an ezy curl bar

LEGS ARE IMPORTANT!!!! it is essential to train them just as much as the rest of your body, it also promotes growth for your upper body.

You hav forgotten completely about your back, it is a major muscle group and very important

If ive got time later ill knock up a quick 2 day split workout you can do, that way you can do that two days then the next day go for a run or something then repeat

If ive got time later ill knock up a quick 2 day split workout you can do, that way you can do that two days then the next day go for a run or something then repeat

That'd be great if you get a chance. The more knowledge I can gain from you guys the better. Legs? Seriously? Damn you! :P

push heavey weights. don't do the little isolation exercises to accentuate a small part of the muscle group. work the big muscles.

get huge first, cos with more muscle comes higher metabolism = easier to burn fat.

eat 5 meals a day, don't do cardio.

edit: also

nothing more than 45 minutes in the gym. Anything more and your body goes into a catabolic state and starts to source your muscles for protein required
.... very true......not much time there, so make it intense!!! the more rest time you have, the more sets youll have to do. Edited by Calam05