Sr20 Conversion To Ke55 Plus Rebuild Plus Pimpage

JDM55

Members dont see this ad
how was the camber? it would surprise me on this subject but I could be wrong

Checked my notes to make sure, used the cressida brake hose and didn,t have to move the bracket that was for the commodore caliper when i fitted them, ke55 top hat, datsun 1600 1 in lower spring, shave a couple of threads of the top of ball joint threads but didnt touch the split pin hole or nut, took a bees dick out of 1 of the bottom bolt holes in the steering arm with a die grinder, i paid $20 each for the struts and i picked the ones with new inserts, the benifit of these are thicker shock tube and heavier shock shaft, heavier stub to take falcon sized bearings and an instant brake upgrade, camber is as per original and it all looks original

• 2 weeks later...

thanks guys getting a bit off topic here , so back to my car......

well finding things a bit hard latley ,cash is very much non exsistant making progress very slow, :P

hoping for a few perk jobs to keep me going ,but I'm not out yet!

done a few bits and pieces here and there but probably the most important was the other night ,

managed to dumby up the piping and slap a radiator in and hook up my computer and my test wiring board,

and a few other things ( yes i know it looks very dodgy it was! but its not staying like that)

and powered up the board turned it over a few times with the cas disconnected to build oil pressure,

once that was done pluged the cass back in and........

pressed the starter button 2 seconds later she fired to life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) was very pleased

with myself ,and a huge relief on all the effort so far,

basicly it was driving me mental to know if the motor would even go so i had to get it started at least just for piece

of mind haha ,now thats out of the way i can realy get serious about stuff and move forward hopefully cash permiting

Edited by JDM55

well done, it's amazing how a simple thing gets you back into it with vengance

haha thanks mate and your so right , i was getting abit over it to be honest didnt realy

think i was making much progress but just starting it has cleared my mind and heaps of new ideas

have started flooding in I'm back!!

• 2 months later...

well i thought id post a few things up tonight, even tho I'm still keen as mustard I'm finding the progress as sloooowwww as

rowing a boat backwards into a storm on the way to china!! but a few little things even tho i had a huge day today on the car ,

so heres where I'm at:

fiiting a drive shaft loop ,kinda sust it out so thought id paint it up ..

090720105107small.jpg

090720105110small.jpg

while i was at it i painted my drive shaft that i had made up to fitt ....

090720105115small.jpg

also painted the bolts and plate for the driveshaft loop just to seal it from rusting,...

090720105119small.jpg

and all the parts for the drive shaft loop....

100720105131small.jpg

and picked up my surge tank that i made and had welded up by a radiator shop,special thanks to marty k ,i stole your idea :P

100720105133small.jpg

100720105135small.jpg

and i decided to seam weld the diff hangers,was a mission!!! had to pull everything out the ass and grind off all the stone guard around the joins and get on my back and weld the hell out of it, turned out ok should be alot stronger now,probably didnt even have to do that but if you know how these engineers are these days......

100720105140small.jpg

100720105147small.jpg

100720105151small.jpg

while i was under there deicided to fit the surge tank in there too with some small bolt bracket things.....

100720105153small.jpg

after al the welding ,gave the baremetal a quick seal off with some stone guard stuff then mounted the tank in place

100720105156small.jpg

then fitted the leaf springs back in and the diff back in place ,while i was reassembling the diff set up i changed the u bolts to a more heavy duty thicker bolt ,and larger nuts ,

100720105161small.jpg

100720105163small.jpg

diff back in

100720105166small.jpg

with the drive shaft loop assembled with new bolts it was time to get the thing in there but first had to get the steel plates fitted ...

100720105178small.jpg

then on to the floor decided to seal up these holes help stop any water sitting in there .....

100720105172small.jpg

like soooo

100720105180small.jpg

100720105195small.jpg

bolts sticking out with sealer all round the holes ...

100720105188small.jpg

and finally after a bit of stuffing round all bolted in and tightened, the sealer actualy squessed out around the nuts so at least i put enuff in there haha

100720105194small.jpg

then bolted the new driveshaft back in place ...

100720105197small.jpg

100720105199small.jpg

100720105203small.jpg

and thats about it a huge days effort for a few little things haha, aww one other thing while i was under there i just got

a muffler ,its a xforce varex,these have a remote controled valve in them that you can close by pressing the button on

the remote, its spose to quiten the exhuast down a fair bit,guy at the exhaust shop i spoke to spoke quite highly of them

so thought id give it a go,probably only going to run this one muffler and a cat convertor, but will see how loud it gets i guess

hoping this muffler will help me pass epa test when it comes time for that ,not realy a big fan of the cannon style mufflers ,but this thing is starting to grow on me ,its bloody huge tho!! not going to have the straight tip,probably weld on a dump tip something different,

one thing i notice about these is the quality of there construction all stainless polished and the welds are very neat,this one is a

3" straight thru, you can get oval ones which i was going to get but there sizes are pretty big and would have been a realy tight fit,this is all ready a fair tight fit,but should be able to make it fit in ,just had it on a jack to get a ruff idea of a position that i mite have it in ,again its huge!!! hahaha :bash:

100720105215small.jpg

100720105211small.jpg

100720105220small.jpg

Edited by JDM55

well none to happy at the moment

been working on my car for about 12 months now, everyweekend, after work at nights most nights,

and its looking like it was all for nothing ;-(

having an absolute nightmare getting an engineer to aprove the work that i have done so far,

not the fact that ive done dodgey work no the reason lyes in the rediculous vic roads legal system,

and the fact that all engineers are open to there own interpution of the law,

the first one i used for some of it basicaly would change his mind and not tell me the correct way to

do things thus i would be repeating my work over and over just to satisfiy him, and the fact that he was

unreliable in showing up,and the fact that he could hardly speak decent english ,and making things very clear to

me in what i was spose to be doing resulted in me giving him the ass,

how ever now that i have spoken with nearly all the vass approved engineers in victoria, I'm having extreme trouble

in finding some one who is satisfied with what ive done so far

and most of what ive done has been aproved by the first engineer, but now others don't agree with what hes told me to do,

very very very frustrated and stressed out of my mind right now,

another engineer tells me i have to remove all my nolathane bushes and replace with rubber???

also my drive shaft loop that i posted up about not so long ago isnt good enuff,

engine x memeber has to be redone gear box xmember isnt good enuff, it goes on and on

as far as I'm concerned i have made every effort to do the best quality work i can do and often over kill to make sure that everything

is up to scratch and then some, and that for the most part i was under instruction from a dam engineer any way, but due to the fact that any engineer has the right to read the rule and pretty much make up what they want you to do , its looking like my car wont be getting finished

i have another apointment for next week but after speaking in great detail with the guy don't hold much confidence in that inspection either,

there for:

i could be selling up what i have , engine looms ecu gear box diff seats struts brakes electrical stuff everything basicly thousands of dollars of parts that will be useless to me if i can't get an engineer to give me a f!^#% break

the other thing is i can't afford to keep geting tow companys to take my car here and there and then pay inspection fees time and time again ,

realy realy shattered had big ideas for this car , a car ive owned for over 5 years now, and its pretty much going to be crushed if i can't do something with it, can't return it to orignal due to the heavy mods that have been done ,so prety much a nightmare

any one be interested in a sr20det engine? or anything else for that matter i have it all , give me a message if theres something in particular you would like, i will post up a massive post with parts and pics and prices if all turns sour next neek ,which it isnt sounding very good at all from what the guy was saying ,

ive done everything i can to stay with inthe law and do the right thing by everyone ,definatley can't just fiinsh it and drive it ,not here ,maybe in another state id get away with that but not vic, all you vic guys will be able to relate, the laws are completely out of control here and theres nothing we can do about it ,gone are the days when you could slide the dude a few hundys and be on your way,

some one has to do sumthing about it!!!??? wheres the potitions ,wheres the complaints , i know i can't swear to much on this site but if i could every 2nd word coming from my finger tips would be f ing vic roads and there crap :)

sounds like a sh#t fight mate not good at all the only help i can give is to ring this guy http://www.vehicleengineering.com.au/ they say on there

web site they now do victoria this is the same guy that done my car and it look dodgy compared to yours but that said i have rang him to ask about

more stuff i want to engineer and he has been a bit hard to get hold of and get info out of so i hope this may help thank's..

sounds like a sh#t fight mate not good at all the only help i can give is to ring this guy http://www.vehicleengineering.com.au/ they say on there

web site they now do victoria this is the same guy that done my car and it look dodgy compared to yours but that said i have rang him to ask about

more stuff i want to engineer and he has been a bit hard to get hold of and get info out of so i hope this may help thank's..

hmm vic aye? maybe they have been added to the vass list down here, not sure how id get the car up there tho haha little far to push the dam thing, thanks tho mate ill certianly call him and see what he says cheers for that

Hey mate sounds depressing, a bit of a hurdle.

how ever now that i have spoken with nearly all the vass approved engineers in victoria,

The above comment could be your problem?

Are you using the vic government website to get hold of your engineers?

In queensland there is the same list on the website, but there are soooo many engineers around, and the ones listed on the website are the ones who are impossible to deal with (stereotypically).

I found out now that i have so many engineers locally, from the extremely difficult, to the way too relaxed,

i choose to use a guy that is in between both of these, because i want my car safe, but don't want to have to deal with stupidities.

I hope I'm right for your sakes, and i know I'm not from vic, but i had the same problem to start with, until i found this out....

Hey mate sounds depressing, a bit of a hurdle.

The above comment could be your problem?

Are you using the vic government website to get hold of your engineers?

In queensland there is the same list on the website, but there are soooo many engineers around, and the ones listed on the website are the ones who are impossible to deal with (stereotypically).

I found out now that i have so many engineers locally, from the extremely difficult, to the way too relaxed,

i choose to use a guy that is in between both of these, because i want my car safe, but don't want to have to deal with stupidities.

I hope I'm right for your sakes, and i know I'm not from vic, but i had the same problem to start with, until i found this out....

yep thats the same here mate, we have vic roads down here and only the aproved engineers from there vass list are able to give a engine conversion pass, and yes your right its exactly the same here the stereotypical ones are the hardest to deal with ,

there are also alot of engineers around here but I'm pretty much stuck with the ones that are on the list :)

went into work to day to have a look at the car, i couldnt even bring myself to do anything on it knowing i could be wasting my time till i get some one to check it :D

he might come to vic to do it as i am in sydney and he is in the act and came up to sydney to do it, i think he does a run up hear every week or two

could go down to vic as well but you will have to ask him thank's..

i sent this guy an email explaining my situation , he said that ihe would be happy to have alook at it and take it from there,

but i would have to shipp my car up there ,which probably doesnt sound like a big deal but when you pay 500 plus to get it up there,then 500 to get it back and what ever the inspection fee would be , it ends up being very costly :)

i mite ask him if i could fly him down here to have a look, then take it from there, would have no problem taking it up there once its driveable but at this stage it aint even moving so makes it very hard,

think my brain my explode trying to sus this one out,

I wonder if you could get it done in NSW then just keep it on NSW rego

aparently not mate , as any car bought out of state has to be re tested down here to pass a road worthy ,and to get rego,

something else about the whole engineers process that you guys mite not know ,but vic rules are even if you pass everything

you only get 30 days to pay for your rego,then its not engineeered any more and the police can make you go for another engineering report if they so choose, mental stuff

i just wanta drive my car legal!!!!!!! jesus not asking for the world here am i