202 Into A Corona Xt130

KETURBO25

Ive looked everywhere on the net to see wether or not its possible to

pull a rubbish starfire out of a xt130 Corona and drop in a holden 6 (202)

and ive found no answers.

I found this to be surprising considering the engine mounts and most

everything else looks the same, the only thing that ive heard needs to

happen is the radiator needs a thermo mounted on the front rather then

the back (engine side).

Ive got both a VH Commodore and a xt130 Corona so all the parts are

easily sourced for a conversion.

Please let me know if you've heard of this being done cause I'm sure it can

happen, i just wanna know if the 202 motor and box will fit in without

having to change cross members or not.

*PLEASE NOTE*

I'm quite aware that this is Rolla Club, not corona club, not holden club.

I'm merely asking if you have any knowledge of this conversion. :jamie:

Pete. :yes:

Members dont see this ad

Couldnt see it being that hard to do ,as i wrecked one recently the only thing is check where the engine mounts on the poo motor are compared to the 6 cyclinder

version.

Meaning i can't remember if they choped off (hacksawed)the front two cyclinders ,or rear two,or one either end. :jamie:

Every think else should be fairly straight foward.

You no why they where blue don't you :y: balance central :yes:

Lol dude, i can't wait to get ride of the starfire. :yes:

Ive riden motorised push bikes that would cain it in take off!

I'm not only doing it for the extra power, I'm doing it cause

theyre more reliable. :y:

Seriously, the starfire motor is by far the biggest peice of

shit to have ever been built ever!!!!! :jamie:

An old female "friend" (god bless her dog of a heart) was going to do the conversion till she wrapped the car around a power pole lol

From what i know the starfire is either a 186 or 202 but either way it started its life as a 6 and had the front two cylinders cut off (or was it the back) and that means you can pretty well much use every hot up bit the 6 uses.

From what the "friend" found out but never got a chance to see is that the 202 will drop straight in without mods.

My guess is that the gearbox would be the same one used between the motors - so that'll mean same bolt holes for the bellhousing.

See if you can measure from the back of the motor to where the engine mounts are and do the same on the other motor. Wouldn't be surprised if its the same

I think the chassis is designed for 4 cylinders so youd be better off building a hot starfire from a handling point of view. Ive heard first hand accounts of them being absolute animals once properly prepared. Talk to swift race engines in Brisbane, he builds lots of hot Holden sixes for race cars up here. That technology transfers straight over to the starfire. Might open your eyes to what the starfire could do.

Well to be honest i thought i would get slammed for putting this post in Rolla Club,

But once again the members have proven to be extremly helpful. :yes:

I always laugh when i see noobs coming on this site to ask questions that

have all been asked before and have no money, and the reaction from

some senior members is priceless. lol :jamie:

I'm still surprised that no one else has really considered doing this especially

when it sounds so easy, like i said, i have all the parts to do the job properly

so I'm gonna go ahead and do it, i got the VH for $300 and the Corona for $100

so its not gonna break the bank, plus i can do it myself so it should be free.

Thanks again guys. :y:

As I said to Pete yesterday, From looking at both the starfire and the 202 in my ute, the front two cylinders have been sliced off.

Meaning the bellhousing face to engine mounts will be the same distance. The distance from the engine mounts to the front of the block is the only thing that changes.

Bolt up a Blue VK series EFI manifold, extractors and a mild cam, should be plenty enjoyable.

Agreed,186 would be ideal for the fact it will rev a bit easier due to the shorter stroke.

Sure, you loose 0.3L by goin the 186. But you saw how a 202 has enough torque to have fun in a one tonner. 186 would definatly have enough to have some decent fun in a rona.

But if its there, doo it.

The 1892cc starfire engine is derived from the 173ci or 2.8 litre straight six holden motor. The 202 was not used for a strafire due do noise, vibration and harshness issues. Though the capacity would have been increased to 2.2 or 2.3 litres.. Still it would be interesting seeing a Corona with a holden 6 in it though!

There used to be a 'rona in Melbourne that used to race at Calder running a gas recearch fed, turboed etc 202 in it... ran 10's for many years and looked stock as a rock..

Not sure how she would handle with the big 6 up front past the wheels but I can't see it being to bad. Would be a great cruiser/bruiser for minimal coin.

JP