Painting Car In Acrylic

KESR20

Hey I'm just doing a DIY paint job on a corolla ke36, and was wondering if anyone would know much bout it.. I'm planning on using super cheap auto acrylic white with there etch and primer surfacer or filler over the top of the etch,

What i was wondering is do i need too use paint thinners too thin out the paint from the tin?

and how much am i supposed to thin it out if need be :y: cheers

also if its ok to use a low pressure automotive spray gun:) cheers fellas

Members dont see this ad

Hey mate... on my car I used super cheaps auto bog and primer , works tits! And with the white arcrylic you will have to see if its pre thined out or not... I used thinners in my prima and didn't need it for the paint as it was already thined out.. You will need to thin out your prima and possibly your paint. I did it 1 part paint to 3 part thinners... you will have to have the paint like milk thin to spray... its best to use a gravity fed spary gun so you can spray your roof.. I used a pretty high pressure gun not to sure of the psi reading but it did the job... good luck dude wouldn't mind seeing a pic of the finished product :y:

Hey mate... on my car I used super cheaps auto bog and primer , works tits! And with the white arcrylic you will have to see if its pre thined out or not... I used thinners in my prima and didn't need it for the paint as it was already thined out.. You will need to thin out your prima and possibly your paint. I did it 1 part paint to 3 part thinners... you will have to have the paint like milk thin to spray... its best to use a gravity fed spary gun so you can spray your roof.. I used a pretty high pressure gun not to sure of the psi reading but it did the job... good luck dude wouldn't mind seeing a pic of the finished product :y:

Awwwwsome , i just wasnt sure, even tho i work at supercheap like once every 2 weeks i always see it and I'm always wonding if u can use it which primer did you use? theres so many , and i don't no what i need exactly?

does the spray go in order like this?

bog it up

etch?

pirmer filler?

acrylic white?

then clear?

i do know that the paint has not been thinned from factory, so do i mix 2 parts thinners 1 part paint? and with that mix in mind will it stick too the car without any like type of formula u need to mix with the paint with a glue or sumthing.. sorry if i sound dumb. but i just want too be sure!

and I'm not big on painting books.. for the 50 it will cost me i can get the first 2 tins of paint or a spray gun :P thanks anyways i did have it in mind tho

You thin your paint to a certain consistancy....not to a ratio. Ratios may get it in the ball park, but getting the right mix will perfect it.

I have never used Supercheap paint, nor would i ever. You get what you pay with Paints.

Reading a book and doing some googling may help save you money infact. When you put the first pot of paint onto your car and it runs like crazy.....its going to cost you wet and dry paper, more paint, more thinnners plus your time.

You will need 15-20psi in pressure, but you will need a steady supply. A compressor running out of puff midway through a panel is never fun.

I've written a few how to's on painting already and i'm not going to do it again. But find a spare panel and practice first. Get your pressure and spray pattern right.

This is my car that I sprayed a few months back in Automotive Acrylic. Just so you know what finish you can achieve if you spend some money on 'decent' paint and thinners.

post-336-1260941551_thumb.jpg

post-336-1260941563_thumb.jpg

Edited by kangaroosa

bog should not be used over paint, it must be bare metal.

2 exceptions:

There are bogs specifically designed for use over paint, but you need to be certain you are using such a product first.

There are also etch primers specifically designed to be used under bog, but not in acrylic.

yes i used the grey primer surfacer.. and when you bog it up don't play with it too much... once its dry sand the f@$k out of it and if you need more on there , put more on there. and dude take your time with the prep work. because it determines the outcome of the paint... make sure you paint the car in out of the wind and dust

wet down the ground around your makeshift booth before you start - it'll keep the dust and shiz from flying around.

+1 for what oh what nissan said!!!

NEVER use bog over paint unless it is specifically for that purpose - I learned that the hard way! :locked:

I find a couple of books that help me are Gregory's Spray Painting and Gregory's Car Body Repairs - can't remember where I got them from - more than likely supercheap or repco.

Also - I find you can get tins of paints from local paint shops that are the around the same price and better than SCA paints.

Get a book it'll save you in the long run!!!

Edited by corolla_nut