Whats The Attraction Of White Walls?

curly

f@$k whitewalls. There is only one tyre worth having on any car: Bridgestone Eager. Pity they don't make them any more. :wink: Something about chunky 50 or 60 profile tyres with raised white lettering definitely does it for me. Sure they were useless at providing good grip, but damn they smoke up well. :)

I'll see your Eagers and raise you a Kelly Charger HR ;)

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Crowd: Yes! We are all individuals!

I want to be an individual like everybody else.

Personally I really don't give a shit what the car looks like from the outside. You can't see the outside of the car when you are driving it anyway. Stuff spending a fortune on rims or other visual crap. I'd rather put my cash towards stuff that actually improves the performance, driving dynamics and safety of the car.

Yes ke10's are worth SFA when you compare them to other more notable cars of the era. Try buying a overrated mazda R100 for under 40 grand these days. overrated Datsun 1200 coupes and 1600's would be worth a shitload more than the 6 grand or so a overrated ke10 would command.

Why do people like big fu*k off chromies that clearly do not fit a car correctly?

Like everyone has said a personal preference. Ive had walls on every car ive owned in the past 6 years or so and i was doing it before it was popular again, more than likely ill keep doing it too! Perhaps not correct period style in some cases but who cares?

It if looks good do it.

Troy

my 2cents

what did corolla of the year have?????????????????

64 EH holden not a white wall to be seen, falcon 65 on xp xr xt xw xy xa not a painted tyre EVER, xy gtho's came with goodyear aquajets with a thin red line but no whitewalls, This gets us up to 1971. it's all up to personel choise but i think that a lot of young guys think that this is the way it was but it wasnt, just think when the first corolla was released the XR GT falcon won bathurst, not a whitewall to be seen, 1970 was XY GTHO, XU1 toranas right up to Moffats 1978 gs falcon and no white walls. i'm the first to say we should be individual. my wag most people wont like but check out any of gavlastics posts and you will always get the Take the springs out, venetions and white walls thing. all on immaculate examples of the breed. These should be put away and treasured not butchered, chop and cut up the rusty ones but leave the good ones alone, they will make you money in the long run, we all have different views but on this i'm right

64 EH holden not a white wall to be seen, falcon 65 on xp xr xt xw xy xa not a painted tyre EVER, xy gtho's came with goodyear aquajets with a thin red line but no whitewalls, This gets us up to 1971. it's all up to personel choise but i think that a lot of young guys think that this is the way it was but it wasnt, just think when the first corolla was released the XR GT falcon won bathurst, not a whitewall to be seen, 1970 was XY GTHO, XU1 toranas right up to Moffats 1978 gs falcon and no white walls. i'm the first to say we should be individual. my wag most people wont like but check out any of gavlastics posts and you will always get the Take the springs out, venetions and white walls thing. all on immaculate examples of the breed. These should be put away and treasured not butchered, chop and cut up the rusty ones but leave the good ones alone, they will make you money in the long run, we all have different views but on this i'm right

Not true on making money. Were talking Toyota's here, their not exactly considered to be classic just yet, along with that point most people would prefer to drive something they think looks better than to preserve the 'originality' of something. Yes grandpa style has been done but it still looks good, and yes it does give of view of being original even though in most cases its not.

Also keep in mind whitewalls were factory options back in the day, and being that they were quite unpopular her in Australia it means very few cars were rocking them when they came out.

I sold my KE20 for 10 times what i paid for it with wide 13" rims and whitewalls, not exactly original there...

KE1x brochures had it on all models...

Some KE20's (Deluxe) & KE25's (Deluxe model) had it

Early KE35's (Deluxe Models) did according to the brochure...

But it was gone by the late KE35's.

The 1977 models in the us had them. Thats Wagon and sedan.

Same with the utes, Corona's (Sedans, Hardtops and Wagons)

So whitewalls were much alive in the late 1970's.

This topic cracks me up.

Like Troy I have been doing Whitewalls and Flappers for 6 or more years. it has become VERY popular in Adelaide. Why? Because we have the greatest whitewaller in the country! Big Ups to Derel :)

I don't mind seeing them on 50's, 60's, 70's cars and to be honest I'm down with them on an 80's, 90's or 2000's cars also. Hell I had them on a 2003 Mazda. If I got a 1923 Chev with wooden wheels I would probably paint whitewalls on them too, just to $h!t people. I have experimented with double whites and different widths of single whites. I have never done redwalls because they don't stand out as much as the whites. You can get blue, green, yellow and heaps of other colours too.

Really it's as simple as this...... if you don't like it, don't get them. If you don't like them on other peoples cars.... who cares. For me it's not about being period correct.......... I just like it. I like Kit Kat's too. That doesn't mean someone else will. Maybe I will start painting my whole tyres yellow on all my cars and see if that can upset people.

I'll see your Eagers and raise you a Kelly Charger HR :)

Kelly Charger HR's Are and AWESOME tyre. I bought my ute with them on there and did 30,000km plus whatever the old owner did on them.

Hankook Dynamic RA03's are what I'm running now, great tyre. also come with the raised white lettering, although i got that put on the inside.