Australian Delivered 1jz-gte

RedKE30

Hey everyone,

Wondering if anyone can help me out, sorta need this info tonight. I need to know if a twin turbo 1JZ-GTE was ever factory fitted to an Australian delivered vehicle, and I need conclusive proof. I believe it was fitted to the Soarer 2.5GT (Jzz30?), but I need some kind of evidence to support this.

My brother is trying to get his 1JZ Cressida engineered, and the engineer has told him that the engine needs to have been factory fitted to an Australian delivered vehicle, otherwise it cannot be engineered. This has to do with emissions.

Can anyone help confirm my theory? Remember, I need evidence to present to the engineer, but feel free to at least confirm my theory, or tell me if 1J's were fitted to something else in Australia.

Thanks for reading,

Sian

Members dont see this ad
Hey everyone,

Wondering if anyone can help me out, sorta need this info tonight. I need to know if a twin turbo 1JZ-GTE was ever factory fitted to an Australian delivered vehicle, and I need conclusive proof. I believe it was fitted to the Soarer 2.5GT (Jzz30?), but I need some kind of evidence to support this.

My brother is trying to get his 1JZ Cressida engineered, and the engineer has told him that the engine needs to have been factory fitted to an Australian delivered vehicle, otherwise it cannot be engineered. This has to do with emissions.

Can anyone help confirm my theory? Remember, I need evidence to present to the engineer, but feel free to at least confirm my theory, or tell me if 1J's were fitted to something else in Australia.

Thanks for reading,

Sian

Look into lexus vehicles, not too sure about the 1jzgte, but the 2jzgte was in some I think.

Happy hunting.

Oh, member Xany has a 1jzgte supra but it is an import, member Teddy has an M series supra that was Australian delivered.

Not 100% sure there was a 1jzgte vehicle in Australia, but someone else will know more...

Thank you sir.

EDIT: For anyone who is interested, my brother posted the same thread on Toymods.

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.p...160#post1126160

Got a fairly conclusive answer there. Off to the engineers tomorrow to argue the case!

Edited by RedKE30

The reason your engineer would have brought it up is because if the motor was never fitted to local cars, it's not met the ADR's for emissions.

Looking at the last post there, they've obviously drawn conclusion for grey imported cars that the motor meets emissions and therefore can be considered compliant.

When I engineered my bluebird (in Vic), if the build date of the car was '87 onwards, it would have got difficult (not impossible) because the ADR for emissions became more stringent and as the CA18DET wasn't a local delivered option, it would have needed emissions testing. My guess is that's the same boat you're in.

The reason your engineer would have brought it up is because if the motor was never fitted to local cars, it's not met the ADR's for emissions.

Looking at the last post there, they've obviously drawn conclusion for grey imported cars that the motor meets emissions and therefore can be considered compliant.

When I engineered my bluebird (in Vic), if the build date of the car was '87 onwards, it would have got difficult (not impossible) because the ADR for emissions became more stringent and as the CA18DET wasn't a local delivered option, it would have needed emissions testing. My guess is that's the same boat you're in.

Yeh, apparently the engineer believes that if it wasn't fitted to a local car, it cannot be engineered. But it's been done many times before so I don't understand why its such a problem.

What's a grey imported car?

A car that's brought in from overseas that is painted grey, which is a shade in the range between white and black.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously though, the 'grey' part of the title refers to the fact that the car is secondhand, so a grey imported car is one that has been bought new and used by the first owner in one country (usually Japan), then bought by a company or person that has imported it into Australia.

Hey mate, hope i'm not to late responding to this. I have the same conversion done to my cressida. I rang up vicroads a while back and was told (they looked into this) that if all the mounts etc are factory and all the emission gear is still there and everything else has been upgraded to spec (brakes, diff etc) then you don't need it engineered. Just need a letter from a toyota dealer stating that the JXZ81 is a factory car in japan, go into vicroads and they'll check everything over and change the engine number over. This reminds me to do that also as i keep forgetting to do it. :hmm: