4age Bigport Or Smallport

Here's the deal. I eventually want to put a 4age into my KE30. At present I'm just doing my research and keeping my eyes open for a bargain if one comes along. I want to do this once properly and be done with it. I'm not into burnouts/drift, I just want my car to have a bit of balls when needed, not die going up hills and be reliable enough to drive interstate doing 110km down the freeway without the thing reving its tits out. If it went as good as my stock ae101, Id be pretty stoked. I'm not interested in any other motor conversion, I'm pretty much set on the 4age.

questions - would I see much difference in power between a bigport and a smallport in a ke30. I understand one is 'suppose' to be 88kw and the other 100kw. Obviously it would depend on Kms done, compression etc. Has anyone had both motors in there car to give me solid advise? Will a bigport be fine for my needs? Id run extractors, Id keep it efi but other than that Id probably leave the engine internals stock (unless the motor was tired and needed freshening up). Would go with a T50 and a stock rolla jap diff.

I tried to do a search but I couldn't find a thread containing the relevant info.

Members dont see this ad

register on twincam.info and you will find everything your after. there is heaps of info and i will guarantee you'll find what your after even an engine if you don't already have.

bigport and smallport is really up to you everyone has there own opinions on the 2 but i would think a smallport would be better for what your after.

You'll probably get loads of conflicting advice but I would say just go bigport as its less stuffing around. Simply because they came in rwd format and so you don't have to worry about modding manifolds to adapt or water pumps or anything.

They're both good fun and plenty reliable although the smallport is a better design and has quite a bulletproof bottom end. Though the late aus and jap bigports had the same 7 rib bottom end also. They're just a little harder to come by.

A lot of either of these engines could probably use a freshening up due to high kms.

So yeah if you can be bothered adapting it then the smallport is the better engine generally and will be slightly faster, but if you can't then a bigport should satisfy you fine.

Edited by 200Boy

I found out that the JDM and ADM bigports fitted with MAP sensor and T-VIS are 95kw stock, 88kw was for the USA version. Both engines would be alot better than the 3 or 4k but I have to agree, the bigport would be easier as the manifold is already facing the front for you.

EDIT: Check out this thread.. its the fisrt one i could think of at the top of my head. A ke30 with a bigport 4age http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=36993

Edited by Johno

http://www.billzilla.org/4agmods.htm#115hp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_A_engine

The first-generation 4A-GE which was introduced in 1983 replaced the 2T-G in most applications. This engine was identifiable via silver cam covers with the lettering on the upper cover painted black and blue, as well as the presence of three reinforcement ribs on the back side of the block. It was extremely light and strong for a production engine using an all-iron block, and produced 112 hp (84 kW) at 6600 rpm and 131 N·m (97 lb·ft) of torque at 4800 rpm in the American market. The use of an air flow meter (MAF) sensor, which restricted air flow slightly but produced cleaner emissions that conformed to the U.S. regulations, limited the power to 112 hp (84 kW) whereas the Japanese model—which used a manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor—produced 130 hp (97 kW).

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_The-4AGE-Gu...33/article.html

The engine management employs a MAP load input, a distributor and multi-point EFI. Power output of the first generation 4A-GE is 96kW at 6600 rpm and 149Nm at 5200 rpm – very respectable in the early ‘80s.

Its just what i read, the second version of 4age (1987 -91) was 86kw and had a AFM insead of Map >|

Edited by Johno

Its just what i read, the second version of 4age (1987 -91) was 86kw and had a AFM insead of Map :wub:

fairly sure no bigport 4ages were afm in aus. There's a lot of dispute about the true power figures for these engines so its probably not worth arguing over.

AW11 bigports were AFM methinks. And anywhere you see 96kw mentioned for a bigport, it is for the bluetop MAP bigport in the JDM AE86. Australian bigports were 86kw for the 3-rib bluetop, 88kw for the red/blacktop 7-rib, and both were MAP (the only AFM 4AGs in Australia were the AW11 bigport, the bigport 4AGZE, and the silvertop 20v, although the last two are imports anyway)

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

AW11 bigports were AFM methinks. And anywhere you see 96kw mentioned for a bigport, it is for the bluetop MAP bigport in the JDM AE86. Australian bigports were 86kw for the 3-rib bluetop, 88kw for the red/blacktop 7-rib, and both were MAP (the only AFM 4AGs in Australia were the AW11 bigport, the bigport 4AGZE, and the silvertop 20v, although the last two are imports anyway)

^^ yeah that's right. forgot about the adub. Anyway its a bit off topic :wub:

Edited by 200Boy

Ok, rightio :wub:

Yeah, back on topic.. bigport would be easier to install in a ke30

They're really only easier to install if you can get the RWD AE86 parts (intake/TB, water pump etc), otherwise if you're trying to custom convert a FWD engine to RWD then it is just as hard bigport or smallport.

Doesnt an ADM 4A-GE with jdm ecu make the 96kw aswell?

Doesnt an ADM 4A-GE with jdm ecu make the 96kw aswell?

If you give it the right fuel, and have everything else right, then technically it should. Then again, a 4AGE making the same amount of power now as it did stock would be a minor miracle, even the best 16V is going to be close to 20 years old now, and the bigports even older.