My 93' Corolla From New Zealand

Kiwi-Corolla

I spent a couple of hours sound deadening both front doors yesterday. I bought four sheets of the stuff the other day and did the outer skin (door handle side) with just one sheet each side. Planning on putting some inside the actual door panels themselves and possibly on the inner skin of the door too.

Pulled the window regulators and glass out which made the job a lot easier. Amazing how much of a difference it has made, not just in music quality but the whole feel of the door. Feels much nicer to open and close now and should help drown out some of the road noise when driving.

IMG_3675-resized1.jpg

IMG_3676-resized.jpg

And I just spent another 3-hours today sound deadening the inner skin and the door panel/card on each side. Also installed some new component speakers. Went from 6.5" 4-way speakers with 75w RMS each to 6.5" component speakers with 60w RMS each.

The old speakers sounded good but since I have 6.5" 90w RMS 3-way speakers in the rear deck and factory tweeters up front there was far too much treble, so the component speakers fixed that nicely. Kept the factory tweeters so I didn't have to make up a special mounting bracket for the new ones. Everything is being driven off my 444w 4-channel amplifier under my front passenger's seat.

Here's a comparison video between the front and rear doors I took once I finished:

And a whole bunch of photos I took during the process:

IMG_3710-resized.jpg

IMG_3712-resized.jpg

IMG_3706-resized.jpg

IMG_3708-resized.jpg

IMG_3721-resized.jpg

IMG_3724-resized.jpg

IMG_3726-resized.jpg

IMG_3716-resized.jpg

IMG_3717-resized.jpg

IMG_3718-resized.jpg

IMG_3719-resized.jpg

IMG_3720-resized.jpg

IMG_3728-resized.jpg

Members dont see this ad

My latest purchase - A brand new set of BC Gold coilovers. Ended up getting them for a really good price so grabbed them today. They have 30-way damper adjustability so my spine shouldn't shatter to pieces on long trips :D

IMG_3859-resized.jpg

IMG_3856-resized.jpg

IMG_3858-resized.jpg

IMG_3860-resized.jpg

IMG_3851-resized.jpg

IMG_3862-resized.jpg

I installed them today. I've set the damper knobs to 5 clicks from fully soft on the fronts and 10 clicks from fully soft on the rear. The ride height has been adjusted to 300mm from the center of each wheel to the fender lip, which has the subframe sitting at bang on 100mm off the ground, the minimum height allowed by law here in New Zealand.

I must say that I'm VERY impressed with the ride quality of the BC's. When I first went for a test drive I honestly couldn't tell that I had installed coilovers as the ride comfort was virtually the same as my old spring/strut combo, however when going around corners you could definitely notice the difference in the handling performance as it stuck to the road as if it were on rails. I've booked my car in for a full wheel alignment tomorrow so once the toe is reset and everything else aligned I'm sure it'll handle even better. All in all I'm extremely happy with these coilovers so far and I look forward to putting them through their paces over the coming years.

Here's some pics I took after installing them, and a photo of a sticker that I bought on the way home from my test drive to finish the day nicely :)

IMG_3909-resized1.jpg

IMG_3867-resized.jpg

IMG_3926-resized.jpg

IMG_3928-resized.jpg

IMG_3930-resized1.jpg

This is the best looking FWD Corolla I've ever seen. And the sound deadening is super cool, where did you get it/what company makes it/is it expensive?

Thanks for the compliment! :). I got the sound deadening over here. There was no brand on it but it's really good quality stuff. I'm sure you'll be able to find someone over there who stocks a similar product. Ask around at car audio shops as I'm sure they'll have some contacts :). The stuff I got was only $25 NZD a sheet.

Edited by Kiwi-Corolla

Can't believe i havent seen this around yet, i know a few of the spots youve taken photos.

Looking good as always

Thanks man. Whereabouts are you from? I'm always out and about around Auckland, mainly out south though. You're bound to see me one of these days :happy:

Yup, one of the better modded late model rolla I've seen too.

Hiro and yourself seem to have these things looking great.

One question I do have is. Do you run filters on those trumpets?

Cheers!! :D. Nope, no filters on the trumpets ;). Will sound crazy to some people but suits me fine :cool:

Here's my latest mod - FGK 4-2-1 stainless steel extractors. Designed and built in Japan by Fujitsubo Giken Kogyo and are one of the best sets of extractors you can buy for the 4A-GE. Had them fitted today and I'm already noticing a power increase. It replaces the very restrictive factory squished pipe that goes over the front subframe, so there's no more flat spot in the rev range when accelerating at full throttle. The needle seems to sky rocket even faster to redline and doesn't feel so sluggish down low.

Also fitted an OEM 24mm front swaybar, although haven't had a chance to test out the new handling characteristics yet as I had the old factory extractors etc in the boot on the way home so I didn't want everything sliding around and causing damage.

IMG_3970-resized.jpg

IMG_3986-resized.jpg

IMG_3971-resized.jpg

IMG_3998-resized.jpg

My latest mod that I decided to install today - 266mm rear disc brakes! I converted from the old drum brakes to these nice shiny discs from a JDM AE101 Levin GT Apex (same discs/calipers used on the JDM AE101 Corolla GT sedan, FX-GT hatchback and BZ Touring wagon models). The discs and pads are brand new so I had a bit of fun earlier bedding them in earlier :). Took me half the day to install them as I had to run the new handbrake cables and painstakingly remove the long bolt that goes through the lateral arms but I got there in the end. Here's some photos of the finished job:

16162211_large.jpg

16162212_large.jpg

16162213_large.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...