Sandblasting

hey guys, am looking into getting my car sandblasted, so i can begin the fun job of painting it. could anyone tell me where in launie would be a good place to go and how much can i expect to spend? theres only 1 listing in the phone book for sandblasting out st leonards - anyone had any dealings with them? would most spray painters/panel beating places sandblast? any help muchly appreciated :wub:

cheers,

Alana :D

Members dont see this ad
hey guys, am looking into getting my car sandblasted, so i can begin the fun job of painting it. could anyone tell me where in launie would be a good place to go and how much can i expect to spend? theres only 1 listing in the phone book for sandblasting out st leonards - anyone had any dealings with them? would most spray painters/panel beating places sandblast? any help muchly appreciated :wub:

cheers,

Alana :D

Its good to sandblast less cosmetic areas, but for panels you will need to spray with a gentler medium.

I bought a sandbalster to do my car. I think the exercise cost me $350 with accessories, sand, and soda. That includes buying a sandblaster.

You will not have any change from a grand I think if you pay a shop to do a whole car.

hey ive had a few of my other cars soda soda blasted which is the latest craze, there are a few panel beater shops that do sand blast but no many i wouldn't think. also most places will then after they have sandblasted or soda blasted they then lay down a coat of primer to protect the bare metal.

Obviously go talk to them before you take them just to see how the want to to bring the car in as some place prefer just the shell nothing else where as others will allow a rolling shell

Instead of sandblasting have it either bead blasted (its softer than the sand, and will leave less dimples, although there still will be a lot of dimples making you do more primer work) Alternatively you can also do soda blasting as cinky said, from what ive heard you can get a whole car done for about $1200 and it can even go over the chrome mouldings and not damage them (but you would be taking these out for a good job)

Once its all done make sure they etch prime it so it doesnt start to surface rust

sandblast = garnit, which looks like and feels like sand, works well for most stuff, cheaper, but not for delicate work,

for thicker, stronger, more reinforced, or less cosmetic sections, ie inside or engine bay...

sodablast = baking soda, for more delicate stuff, for thinner, unsupported, flat, cosmetic sections, ie outer panels etc,

bit more expensive.

i have a home unit, with garnet, its not bad for small stuff but would take ages for a whole car...

the pro units would take about 4 to 6 hrs to do a whole car if you stripped it to suit,

garnit = $600

sodablast = $800 at a guess

WARNING:

SPEND A FEW HOURS GAFFA TAPING / COVERING WITH CLOTH / PLUGGING ALL THE SECTIONS YOU DON'T WANT THE MEDIUM

TO STRIP OR GET INTO OR GET BLOWN INTO BY THE AIRGUN AFTERWARDS. YOU WONT GET THE MEDUIM OUT AFTERWARDS AND

YOU CAN'T GET IN TO THE AREA TO RECOAT IT FOR PROTECTION.

also get them to ETCH PRIME it in a good brand of primer, don't know if you would want to wipe it down with prepsol

ie wax / grease remover first but its an option i guess..

Edited by styler

I had my ke30 sodablasted its definately worth the extra. Apparently they can sit for a few days without being primered as the soda leaves a residue. Saying that i would still primer it asap. It works really well but the cleanup afterwards isnt to much fun.

thanks for the quick replys guys. thats definatley given me some stuff to keep in mind. shall go round the places in launie, getting prices n reconmendations. but from what you've said sounds like it will definately hurt my wallet. hmmm 21st is coming up wonder if can convince parents that it would be a great b'day present :wub:

I honestly would not consider leaving it bare and exposed to the elements for ANY period of time, I've heard all these wacky mumbo jumbo claims and If I'd spent 1000 bucks on stripping the sucker bare, I'd have it in a shed, with a bloody dehumidifier on 24 hours a day, in the middle of summer!

Is there not a specific time frame until it starts rusting with soda blasting? Does it leave a sode residue protecting the metal.

the only rust you will get is surface rust but if you don't get in it straight away it turns bad quickly.

i got done a mazda RX3 full stripped down shell

a Mazda 808 (4 door rx3)

and the rear half of a vk commodore and it cost me $2500 and thats with the primer

but that was a package deal that i did with him as he wanted to use the vk as i demo for a promo event that he did but i assume it wasn't much of a price difference