Silverra23's Silver 1976 Ra23 Celica

silverra23

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since I updated this here.. so its a few updates in one again!

Took her to TCCAV's dyno day and that stressed me out...

Here is my dyno sheet ...massively lean. So much so I was stressing about getting it fixed so i could take it to Sydney on the folllowing weekend for Toyotafest.

Dyno%252520Sheet%25252020110925.JPG

Shhheeeeitttttt!

However by the middle of the week my panic had subsided.. haven't quite got to some of the little things I wanted to do before Toyotafest since I have been worrying about getting the mixtures right, but I had the lean issue sorted.

We put a bung in the exhaust and have been running an o2 sensor for the last day or so and playing with jetting. Lean-ness was an issue but perhaps not as bad as they dyno suggested.

I have ended up with 145 mains, 160 airs and it now pulls hard right through the rev range to 7000rpm, which is a nice change and kinda fun. AFR is abotu 14 while it is doing this, so could probably go a little richer still according to my old school carby guru, but I am going to leave it alone now for the trip to Sydney.

Phewwwww... that is the sound of my sigh of relief!

and...

Update after the Melbourne - Toyotafest - South Coast NSW - Lakes Entrance - Melbourne road trip!

Car performed very well across the whole week of my road trip.

Temperature gauge was not as stable as I would have liked. Not entirely sure why it creeps up on the way up long hills on the freeway, but it quickly comes back down so I don't think its too significant. I managed to break the terminal off the coolant temp sender while I was fiddling, and couldn't for the life of me find one in a parts shop in Sydney on the long weekend. I did find one in a tiny parts shop in Ulladulla.. who would have thought!

Some photos of the journey:

Here it is with Matt's KE30 at our meet point for our drive up

IMG_1767.JPG

I got lots of good feedback at Toyotafest, here it is with Roscos RA65 on display under the TCCAV banner

IMG_0077.JPG

At Ulladulla having possibly the best fish and chips ever

IMAG0243.jpg

Here it is at an old favourite of mine from my childhood.. Lake Conjola

IMG_1851.JPG

Great view from the Merimbula Pub

IMAG0246.jpg

Eden Fishing Boats

IMG_2037.JPG

By Mallacootta we had collected a fair bit of road grime!

IMG_2056.JPG

And this is home again

IMG_2103.JPG

So things I learned on the trip..

1. don't mess with old sensors as it will just bite you on the bum

2. The "Grand Pacific Drive" isn't that grand in places.. seriously... does a drive through northern suburbs and industrials estates of Wollongong count as "Grand"?!

3. A suspension set up that works well on Victorian roads doesn't work so well on NSW roads.. lots more crashing through potholes and being jolted about.. doesn't happen on the Vic roads.

That's about it.. other than I no longer have any synchro on third gear.. I am debating whether I grab another second hand gearbox, or whip this one out and rebuild. I am thinking option b.. but option a sounds easier!

I also reckon she needs some camber.. I don't want to go to the extremes of putting cusco solid camber tops in.. so am thinking some k-mac ones.. but would love to hear people's thoughts on them first. Any one used them?

Gearbox shouldnt be to hard to rebuild :cool: just need some parts and the manual, What box is it???? Might have the manual in the shed lol

The camber issues could be fixed by extending the lower arms or something??? Might give it more or ive hurd of pedders bending the stub axle to give ya camber???

Hope i help a bit :happy:

See ya

Jimi

Well back in the days, we used to put MX30 Cressida arms in TA22's (from distant memory) which gave about 2 or so degrees. But once they're in they're in. Not sure if TA22 and RA23 are the same, however TA23 and RA2x are.

Having said that though, how many people actually flick their camber back and forth with adjustable tops to suit say track work vs road. I reckon once they are in, most people just leave them alone.

Mouth is watering thinking about those fish and chips......

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Its been a long time since I posted anything on Mr Celica.

Not a lot has changed. She needs the gearbox replaced... I have a line on a P51 for it, I just need to stump up the cash and collect it.

I also have been contemplating putting coil overs and camber tops into it, as I want it a bit lower, particularly in the front, and it needs some camber to get the front tyres tucking into the guards. Any lower without camber and it would start to hook the front guard lip.

What I have done is bought one of Caam's boot trim installations. I put that in today. Here is how it looks:

IMAG0446.jpg

IMAG0445.jpg

IMAG0444.jpg

She gets her first run in a few months next Sunday when we go to Classic Japan. It will be awesome :)

• 9 months later...

So its ages since I posted in here!

The Celica is now rolling on shockworks dampers front and rear, and their adjustable front spring package. We stuck with the King Spring rear, as the AE86 spring is much smaller diameter than the Celica one, so we couldn't use their adjustable platform rear. They spent quite a bit of time customising things to make it all fit in - my theory that the AE86 was pretty similar was a fair way off the mark!

Never the less its remarkable how much they have transformed the car. I have had to relearn its handling characteristics. Its limits are generally beyond where I will punt it on any given cruisey weekend. So very much worth the expense.

Its also allowed the front to come down just a touch in ride height and looks better. Its still not dumped into the weeds, but I want it to be practical still.

Here is a shot from All Toyota Winterfest a month or so back

IMG_2602.JPG

Today in a spare few minutes I decided to experiment with the silver paint pen and see what side wall writing would do for the look. I like it so need to finish the rest of it now. Shame it will come off so easily.

fe96f7f61c2a11e39da122000a9e28e0_7.jpg

d12a02681c2a11e3a9a222000aa81a0e_7.jpg

Still need to replace the gearbox, but a clutch adjustment has made it much nicer to drive. And it still needs to go on the dyno too. With a new bub arrived a few weeks back, it might be a little while before some of these things happen!