Ke70 Track Car

lildavo

Members dont see this ad

Made it Wakefield, had an absolute ball - ran a 1.31 - not to bad for a busted ass old 4k corolla lol

Extremely happy with the suspension, had a few brake issue before the event, with one piston seizing up and locking one wheel up just as I pulled into Goulburn and most the trip down there only one side was braking - I think this was due to reminisce of 30 year old brake fluid in the corona caliper, after some heavy braking though the issue disappeared and ran fine on the track all day.

I was told that because I was running the corona brakes with the old ke70 booster I would not have any pedal feel - this is not true, pedal feel is fine with the standard booster for anyone doing the conversion, how ever I don't know how it would hold up running the Hilux caliper.

For anyone running standard ke70 suspension and wanting a relatively cheap upgrade I highly recommend the xt130 gear, its so much better.

It gives you more neg camber, bigger brakes and a larger range of shocks to choose from - miles better than anything you can do with ke70 gear.

Car handled beautifully on Sunday, felt like I could take corners quicker than alot of cars on the track - just didn't have the power to back it up.

Definitely need to save for an engine conversion now, car will be so fun with more than the 2kws of power the 4k provides.

Hmmm... need a better job so I can make more dollars to put into the car...

Anyhow heres a couple of pics of the weekend with my mates and their rx7s

post-7928-0-17971100-1309236406_thumb.jpg

post-7928-0-02706000-1309236440_thumb.jpg

post-7928-0-12334800-1309236510_thumb.jpg

Will post some more up of the car on the actual track, these are just ones I took - waiting on mate to upload some more.

• 1 month later...

Bought a little something yesterday off a fella from toymods.

post-7928-0-57681300-1312433323_thumb.jpg

Going to attempt to weld it onto the standard rails and get a 5pt harness to go with it, seems really silly to have a fixed back bucket seat with a lap-sash belt ;)

Anyone got a harness in their car?? what harness is it? how did you mount it? what angle are your shoulder belts at?

I'll be stripping all the interior out in the next week to make way for a cage when I can afford it, so if anyone needs any interior bits, just send me a pm, otherwise it'll end up at the tip.

With cages also...I was thinking of giving bonds roll bars in Mulgrave hill a go, anyone dealt with them? how much did it cost?

Good work mate

I have a welded full cage, to the rear wheel wells, then have a bar that goes across to stiffen up the rear,

and have backets that the harness loops into, if that makes sense

I had made and welded brackets to mount my race seats in, i just have OBX racing items,

agree the XT130 items are a dream, coilovers with the pug/hilux combo

my car has never set foot on a track, so can't confirm how it all works, too busy

Edited by NISROLA

I've got a Monza harness in mine. For the moment I've only used the stock belt locations. It's a three point so it goes to the two lap belt bolt holes, as well as to one of the bolt holes where a rear belt buckle would have bolted in.

It's passed scrutiny once at a khana so far! There's probably more angle on the belt than I would like, but as khana speeds are so low it doesn't matter. As you'd be doing higher speeds I'd be thinking about 4 points and maybe getting a harness bar of some sort fabbed at the very least. Or wait until you get a cage...

Nisrola, your setup looks awesome, did you modify the standard rails or just make some up from scratch for your seat? or is the seat welded into a fixed position?

My plan was to weld two plates across the standard rails and drill holes in the plates where the bolt holes would match up to the seat then just bolt it in.

Snot, I'd be scared running the belt at to much of an angle, I've read it can actually compress your spine in an accident or even snap the seat and at the same time snap your spinal cord.

Rob 5000, would that be because they lack that external oil drain from the head to the sump?

Ive been seriously thinking about the SR20de option...seems like a better option for track work

and probably more cost effective.

Getting turned off 4age for a few reasons- people seem to be asking alot for anything related to doing a 4age conversion, i see $200+ for pedal boxes $350+ for t50s, $150+ for ae71 crossmembers, and $600+ for a motor that'll probably need a rebuild anyhow. then all the little things you need, like all the parts to setup the water system and fuel system and chances are I'll have to pay for it to get wired up cause from what Ive heard they're a bit of a nightmare to wire up and after all that the power isn't all that impressive anyhow.

Ive just got to compare prices and convenience

Custom mounts to suite sr20 vs ae71 crossmember + 4a mounts

t50 gearbox vs rb20/30 gearbox with sr20 bellhousing (or run the silvia box with the shifter in an odd position)

ae71 tailshaft vs custom tailshaft

sr20de power, price and reliability vs 4age power, price and reliability

There is alot of hidden costs in both conversions though.

Either way I can't see myself having either in the car for atleast another 6months to a year unless I get some mad cash flow happening somehow :P

Nisrola, your setup looks awesome, did you modify the standard rails or just make some up from scratch for your seat? or is the seat welded into a fixed position?

My plan was to weld two plates across the standard rails and drill holes in the plates where the bolt holes would match up to the seat then just bolt it in.

Just made plates to space the seat brackets, they do move back and forward still, for short people that is, haha

What you have described seems about right,

Id like to say go the SR20 i mean for ease of parts, power and reliability, i have the trust winged sump and oil cooler hangin on mine so always good to have that extra peice of mind, and with an oil filter relocation kit, makes ease of servicing under the bananna manifold

here is a pic from sunday to give you an idea of the sump and oil cooler, just try and imagine it without an intercooler, haha

Edited by NISROLA

Seats all in now, welded onto standard rails thanks to my Dad who is a clever man with steel. heres some pics that also show how its mounted...

post-7928-0-86206300-1312686756_thumb.jpg

post-7928-0-99171600-1312686774_thumb.jpg

post-7928-0-92674000-1312686780_thumb.jpg

post-7928-0-71851400-1312686790_thumb.jpg

I need to get a shorter boss kit or something though, I'm only a short man, so I have to have the seat fairly forward to reach the pedals :P and my arms end up squashed between the wheel, not to mention the indicator switch is unreachable without taking my hand off the wheel. Anyone know of any short boss kits or wheels I could use?

• 1 month later...

bought something exciting yesterday...

post-7928-0-88725400-1316767262_thumb.jpg

now just need to get the following...

-ae71 crossmember and engine mounts

-t50 gearbox/gearbox mounts, pedal box, M/C and lines + tailshaft

-Cut and shut Intake manifold

-RWD exhaust

-RWD alternator/alternator bracket

-Cooling system pipes, etc

I'm a bit unsure about wiring a small port up. I want to use the original loom but I've heard the wiring is far to short and I'm not to confident chopping the loom up. I've also read it's easier to just make a new loom up from scratch.

the ae92sx still drives and has rego, I drove it home from where I bought it. runs really good, did a compression test before I bought it, has good compression on all 4 pots. too bad the chassis is bent lol.

Also got my ass kicked by the misses for buying this before paying the gas bill :o

Should be stripping my interior out and removing all the sound deadening as soon as we put another 12 months rego on our daily, cause we've been using the corolla as the daily cause our other car has no rego atm.

post-7928-0-83016600-1316768210_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

hi yes there is the external return and i'm pretty sure other internal changes as well. I'd try and fit the entire loom as is and would not go down the path of making your own I think you would be opening yourself up to a soul destroying list of problems.