Sign in to follow this  
irokin

Ft-86: Price Up, Boxer Out? Midlife Crisis Machine?

Toyota_FT_86_Concept_9.jpg

From: http://www.themotorreport.com.au/50214/toy...orts-car-report

It seems reality has kicked in at Toyota, with its upcoming FT-86 entry-level sports car expected to wear a Japanese launch price closer to AU$25,000 rather than its initial target of around AU$21,500 (US$20,000).

According to Britain's Autocar, the increased cost is reportedly due to a push for a cleaner and more fuel-efficient engine, with Toyota's engineers undecided on whether Subaru's boxer engine is the right block for the job.

Although Toyota boss Akio Toyoda has in the past credited the approval of the FT-86 to the enthusiast-driven revival of the old AE86 Corolla as a popular and affordable 'sports car', the FT-86 is now expected to be marketed more towards older buyers.

More here: http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/248971/

And a render of a white Ft-86 on 7tune: http://www.7tune.com/ft-86-price-and-range-out-of-control/

So some mixed news there. I for one would welcome the removal of the boxer, even if it costs more. However the demographic change raises some questions about what will be changed from the prototype to production though it could just mean removing all the wanky Playstation garbage that isn't actually appealing to young buyers. I guess we just have to wait and see.

Members dont see this ad

I'll pay 30k if it means I can haz inline 4 screamer or even a 3GR V6 torque monster... Just toss that boxer garbage away!

agreed. I'd love to see it packing a grunty, revvy NA 4 banger.

25k is a cheap cheap car still. Better than a commuter corolla FWD.

Yea don't forget though that price is just a direct conversion from Yen so you're still going to be looking at $40-45k in Australia.

Yea don't forget though that price is just a direct conversion from Yen so you're still going to be looking at $40-45k in Australia.

Oh damn. :(

Still, if it was going to cost $40,000AU, the $5,000 on top is what you can probably afford if you were buying a car that expensive anyway

(especially since it isn't supposed to be a practical car and the buyer is forking out for a car to have fun in).

It shall be excellent! Can't wait to get my hands on one... :D in the future :laff:

i love boxer engines there awesome but there subaru's. I'm sure toyota could make another awesome engine.

if they need to bring cost down they could always use a k motor lol

oh you may like it or hate it

what about another rotary !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by chappo12

Dude, this kills me, i was lookin forward to making this the first new car i would ever buy... god damn, stupid toyota fun ruiners. just cos the prius is driving its owners into walls and the like, they now need to make some serious money and get back the "reliable affordable safe fun" tag, when really all i wanted was reliable affordable fun... god damn it

Edited by MicMac

Just looking at this and it occurs to me, the headlights must be really bright and generate tons of heat, it's the only reason i can think of to have air ducts under them...... :)

why wouldn't toyota put a 3sge beams or something in this?

Any one else feel that the FT-86 has a striking resemblance to the Lexus LF-A?

A little bit... as you would expect being designed by the same company at roughly the same time (the LFA concept started a fair few year before the FT86 from what I understand).

why wouldn't toyota put a 3sge beams or something in this?

Because the BEAMS is no longer Euro emissions compliant, methinks. Same with the 2ZZ

Sign in to follow this