Teddy's Crash Course Tutorial

Teddy

“Teddy's Crash Course Tutorial on how to make your boot modern!”

Hello Everyone!

In this tutorial, I will show you how to make your boot look brand new - on a budget.

First up, this will work on any older model car - if you put effort into making it, The Results won't disappoint you.

For starters, here are all the tools you need...

Tools

- Sharp knife with extra blades

- Tape measure

- Race tape

- Scissors

- Tweezers

- Old Pain Brushes

- Old Tooth Brush

- Good old Metho

- Chalk - WHITE

- Old Cups

- Face Mask

- Black & Red Permanente markers

- As Many Crocodile Clips as you can get / Pegs

- 4 Heavy Books, all available scissor jacks. (4 / 5 is plenty) – just as weights for holding down carpet.

- Industrial strength gloves

- Old Cloths

- About 2 x 2M of old FLAT card board.

- pen and notebook for measurements

- Newspaper

I will be going over how to do the 4 main sections of your boot. The base, the back (behind the rear seats) and the 2 side sections which cover and prevent things

Falling into the lower quartiles of the car (ahh.. its so annoying)

If you want to do any more such as a section to cover up under the speakers, under the boot lid it self, behind the tail lights etc, just use the same principals as described in this tutorial.

There are 5 Parts to this tutorial.

How to Measure - Part 1

Shopping Time - Part 2

Trace 'N' Cut - Part 3

Carpeting time - Part 4

Glue Time - Part 5

At the bottom of part 5, there are some progression shots, take a look.

Members dont see this ad

How to Measure - Part 1

If you were lucky enough to get an old piece of lino / vinal which goes into your boot as a base as standard (sits above the tire), then you can use this as the template for the bottom. Basically the same procedure applies for each panel. I will explain how to do it for the base (assuming i didn't have the pre-template) because it is the harder / more trickery one to do.

http://www.rollaclub.com/gallery/public_up...20Tutorial2.JPG

Start off by measuring from just behind the 2 struts in the boot - side to side. (just behind the the wheel arch, and behind the rear seat) (the red line at the back in the picture)

Write down the measurement.

Do the same for the front red line - from the FURTHEREST left point behind the tail light to the FURTHEREST right point behind the tail light.

Again, write down the measurement.

Now, measure from behind the back seat to the wall which the tail lights sit in - the back panel. Measure it in 3 places like shown in the photo. The reason this is done because you don't

wanta make it too small / large in 1 area or vice versa.

One you have measured all of these areas and written them down, go and get the cardboard.

Basically Start in the top left and put the measurements in that you know of as accurately as you can on a 1:1 scale - this will be your cardboard template.

Once you have put in all the measurements, you will end up with a piece of cardboard with lots of accurate points on it.

Now, Lets play join the dots!

If you have done everything correctly, you will end up with a trapezoid - smaller at the top (behind the seats) and larger at the back (behind the tail lights)

Cut out this drawing on the cardboard and put it in ure boot - Yes. it WILL NOT FIT, Now, this is where its like craft school. Basically you have to slowly and

Persistently cut off small amounts of cardboard at a time until it fits the around the Whole section properly. This process has to be done all around for EVERY piece.

(Example time! - if there is a curved section, and you have cut the cardboard to go straight, you need to cut the cardboard so it fits Around it - get the drift?)

(note 1 of the easy ways of doing this is to use ure marker pen to mark how much you want to take off and then take the Hole piece of cardboard out and

cut off what u have specified / don't need - this procedure was done ad least 50 times for mine all up - its not a fast process, but when its done, you get a professionally Snug tight fit - and if you don't believe me - come look at mine!)

After you have done this for many hours and have gotten it correct, its time to do the other pieces. :D

Again, its the same process - measure out to get the further-est 4 points, then put the cardboard template in the boot and cut / hack away to get a professional fit.

If you make a mistake and cut too much away, simply get some more cardboard and race tape it back on the side then re-cut it so its correct every time.

After many More hours of this, you should end up with (at minimum - for this tutorial anyway) a base bit, 2 side panels and a rear section all as templates on cardboard.

Once this has been complete, I recommended if you haven't done so already is to put ALL the pieces in to the boot so that you know they all fit in nicely together

Shopping Time - Part 2

Now that you have your 4 cardboard templates, its time to go pay Clark Rubber a visit!

The materials necessary for this are as follows...

(Use the sizes specified in here to work out how much you will need of each)

(So there is less traveling all over town for various materials, everything here can be purchased at Clark Rubber)

- Cor-flute -

This is like Very strong industrial strength plastic cardboard. It comes in sizes of 1200mm x 900mm.

- Carpet -

The carpet i used is called Auto Bond. It comes in Black and a Dark Grey. Its 2000mm wide and comes on really big roles.

You can use other carpets / vinals to suit your tastes though. Clark Rubber again has all this stuff - in bulk.

- Car grip -

This is like supa sticky strong supa glue ! (such a mouth full :D) This comes in about 500ML up to about 5L Cans.

- Velcro -

So that the carpet in your boot is not permanent - in case you have to take it out to clean etc - Velcro is the way to go.

It's strong, Easy to use and can be put on any surface with ease. For my Ke70 Boot, I got 2M of Velcro.

Basically you choose how much you want - some of you may not want Velcro, Velcro is just how i did it.

Once you have all the stuff u purchased from Clark Rubber, time to move on to the next section - Trace and Cut!

Trace 'N' Cut - Part 3

**The reason i have said do it on cardboard, then on corflute, is because cardboard is a little easier to work with than corflute**

Now, Go gather the corflute plastic sheets and line them all up - (say you have 3, line all 3 up - longest edges touching, so you have 1 BIG corflute sheet.)

Get the 4 (or more) templates you have made out of cardboard, and place them on the corflute sheets. Re arrange them so that you use the space of the corflute

as efficiently as possible - re arrange them over and over until you get the best design / layout.

Once you have figured out which is the best placement for each piece of corflute, Get ‘ye' good ‘ol' race tape, and cut some strips and stick them over to over -

So you can stick the back of the cardboard onto the corflute, so when u are cutting, movement is limited.

Put enough tape on the bottom of each piece of corflute so that they don't move, now start to cut VERY carefully around the edges of the cardboard so that when its done correctly, you have

a cardboard template with now exactly the same design on the corflute underneath – The corflute will be the base of the final product.

Do this for all pieces, making sure you are very careful when you are cutting to be accurate - if its not accurate, it will not fit, hence you will have to start to play some more

craft and start to chop and chunk ure way around to get it to fit again - very tedious, considering sometimes the coflute can be a pain to cut in orquid positions.

Now, Collect and keep up all the waist corflute and keep it safe - very handy still.

Don't Take the cardboard off the bottom of the corflute just yet - there's a good reason for it.

Turn all 4 (or more) pieces over so you can now see the corflute, with the cardboard backing facing the ground. When I said before to put all the corflute together

( “Now, Go gather the corflute plastic sheets and line them all up - (say you have 3, line all 3 up - longest edges touching, so you have 1 BIG corflute sheet.”)

i didnt say tape them together because it can get VERY annoying if you have to stand it up, move it etc. One everything is turned over, get the race tape and

tape together the parts which were placed together at the start - Do it for both sides.(basically if you have put a template over the join of 2 corflute sheets, just use some race tape to secure both pieces together)

Now you can take the cardboard backing off completely - if done correctly, you will have 4 (or more) corflute templates which have had the joins race taped all the way

around. Keep the cardboard templates - you wouldn't want to throw away hours of work now would you?! :D :D! -

Go put all the new corflute templates in the boot, to make

Sure that they fit. Let's say you decided to add a bit to the edge of 1 just to make it look that bit better - no biggie - just get some spare corflute and race tape it

on to the side of the already made template and shape it to fix snuggly.

Don't worry if you end up having a template with little sections all over it joined just by race tape / gaff tape / duck tape – the carpet will glue over it and secure it.

Well done so far - if u have actually bothered to read this far And / Or actually attempt this task!

Carpeting time - Part 4

Now, This is the fun bit where it starts to come together!

Grab your carpet / lino - what ever you have chosen as the base finish for the project and lay it down with the UNDERSIDE sticking up. (E.g. face the carpet down)

Lay all the corflute down on it, again using the best possible lay out - but this time it is ABSOLUELTY CRITICAL that you leave ad least 100mm around every edge of the corflute

- This is so you have something to glue on to! -

Once this is done, get the white chalk and draw (remeber leaving 10cm as the border MIN) around each of the 4(or more) corflute bords.

Once you have done this on all 4 corflute templates / previously made sheets, Get the Stanly blade and start to cut out each bit, making sure you stick approximately to the chalk line.

Now, you should have your 4 separate pieces of corflute, each now with an over sized piece of carpet to go with it. – Remember, you have to have the 100mm border around – if you don't, well, it can still be done, but remember the more area to grip, the more strength – the longer it lasts.

This is where it gets tricky.. Here's the diagram first up, ill explain it below...

http://www.rollaclub.com/gallery/?path=./p...20to.JPG&idx=65

Here's one i pre-paired earlier :D

**Note before you put the carpet on, Take the corflute and put it back into the boot (yes, you get use to doing this over and over!) and get your texter pen and

write on the corflute once its IN THE BOOT - "IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU HAVE PUT THE CARPET ON THE RONG SIDE" - this will make sure that when you

Put the carpet in, you don't put it on the wrong side. wrong side = Alot of punching wall and stomping feet.**

Basically, the diagram on the left shows you the corflute with the over sized carpet underneath it

And the diagram on the right shows you when the carpet has been cut and stuck down onto the corflute.

Its really quite a simple process - Look over this diagram over and over until you get what it means - the red lines on the left are where u cut, and the darker areas are cut out & removed.

The right image is what it looks like when u fold the carpet over to the other side, making sure it fits correctly.

These 2 diagrams are proberbly the best way i can descrive how do do it - Hopefully you get what I'm saying - a good way to get use to doing this is to practis on some scrap carpet and

corflute. DO it over and over until its mastered - its fiddley, but looks professional when its done right.

I'm now assuming you know what I am on about, and how to do it. Do this for real now on all 4 pieces - placing the corflute on top of the carpet (unless you haven't moved the carpet since the last step, forget this bit) and using the same procedure

to cut and fit the carpet to the corflute. Take the bottom left section of the drawing on the right. Its got carpet written on it.

The easyest way of doing this is to do a small section – like the one in the picture, then using bull clips / pegs - peg it to the corflec - this will mold it slightly, and when u have done this ALLthe way around for the peice u are working on - it

will of slightly molded it self into the edge you have put it on. - Very handy!

So, Ill re-cap in english what i has have said in steps so you can make sure its done right.

1. Carpet Facing down - Corflute on top. Make sure you have the correct carpet peice to the corflute peice.

2. Start to cut the carpet inwards so it can be folded correctly (for example where the red lines are on picture 1

3. Fold the carpet over to other side and secure it by using clamps / pegs etc

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 over and over until this has been done all the way around on the 1 piece.

5. Get another corflute template and replete steps 2-4 until that piece has been done.

6. Do step 5 until all 4 pieces of the new boot panel have been completed.

If done correctly, you should have 4 (or more) pieces of corflute with carpet now professionally put on, with the carpet folded and clamped on all the way around.

I left it at this stage - clamped and all - for 24 hours so when i took the clamps off, the carpet stayed down without needing any assistance - but you don't have to wait 24 hours -

Here are some progression shots from mine....

http://www.rollaclub.com/gallery/?path=./m..._0031.JPG&idx=0

http://www.rollaclub.com/gallery/?path=./m..._0032.jpg&idx=1

http://www.rollaclub.com/gallery/?path=./m...0048.jpg&idx=17

Glue Time - Part 5

Some one help me, look how much i have written so far - i really don't get out enough... !

Anyway!

I'm assuming that you have waited the 24 Hours - If you haven't - no hassle, just the carpet will be a little wilder to control.

Take 1 of your pieces of corflute with the carpet on STILL ON IT (I'm hoping that you have not removed it yet, or taken it off for some reason!), Ill say it again for good luck - Don't remove any of the clips yet.

Find you're Car Grip Can, Metho in a cup, Paint brush & tooth brush, face mask, gloves, newspaper & all 4 peices.

Find your old table and put down the newspaper - why? well, lets just say car grip is more gooey than bubble gum, and more sticky than toffee.

The materials i have just listed - use ure common sense to work out what u use each for - my hands are too sore to type what u use each for !

Now, this procedure is easy enough in theory, but it's a little sticky.

The best advice is to read this over, try it on a scrap piece - simply to get use to the car grip texture - then to attempt it on the real thing.

After you have setup your area, its time to begin.

First, remove some pegs so that 1 of the flaps of carpet is some what loose. Use the paint brush and apply some car grip under the carpet and on the corflute. Press it down hard and re-apply the pegs / clamps to the same position you had them in before (keeps the mold going)

This procedure has to be done ALL the way around EVERY piece in THIS order – if not, it will dry wrong and – lets just say you will have to go back to.. step 1 or 2?!

Now that you have done this for all 4 pieces in that order, It takes about ½ hour on a good sunny day to dry.

http://www.rollaclub.com/gallery/?path=./m..._0033.jpg&idx=2

After they are all dry, take off your pegs / clamps – you now have professionally molded car boot sections – and was it really that hard?

This can be done in any section of the car I guess, but it suits the boot the best, because it's a boot.

So, If all has gone well - you have now successfully finished Teddy's crash course tutorial on how to re-vamp your boot !!

Hope it makes sense.

Any questions, ask away.

Cheers,

Teddy

(2986 words later :D)

Here are some more progression Shots....

http://www.rollaclub.com/gallery/?path=./m...0046.jpg&idx=15

http://www.rollaclub.com/gallery/?path=./m...0047.jpg&idx=16

http://www.rollaclub.com/gallery/?path=./m...0048.jpg&idx=17

http://www.rollaclub.com/gallery/?path=./m...0049.jpg&idx=18

http://www.rollaclub.com/gallery/?path=./m...0050.jpg&idx=19

I also descided to ditch the crappy material around the speakers

http://www.rollaclub.com/gallery/?path=./m...0052.jpg&idx=21

to this

http://www.rollaclub.com/gallery/?path=./m...0053.jpg&idx=22

Guess how i did it? Excatly the same as above, but i had a template :D

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i'm re-doing my boot, following ur helpfull tutorial ;) cheers for that hard work u did.

mine is having a trapdoor for the spare wheel , and a space set aside for bolting my 12" subwoofer down.

ooh, and fire extinguisher, etc.

the worst thing in the world is running out of kwikgrip at midnight.. :D

i have a 3MM thick rubber sheet on the back of my corflute, for a bit of sound deadening and some extra cushoning, will post a few progress pics if i get my cam back from my sister grrr...

yay! my boot is now twice as heavy, 3 times as nice, and 40 times more bling.

just gotta hook up those 2 12" blue neons to a switch, and fix her up with some black paint over the rear struts etc, and ta da!

will post pics soon, cos i got my cam back tonight

• 8 months later...

Nice Tutorial Teddy :(

Professionals who do custom car interiors tend to use cardboard to make templates for panels like this. They sit it where the panel is going to go and cut/glue more on until its perfect. This idea is very versatile!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...