Ae82 Steering Problems, Solved

Johno

+1 for wheel alignment.

on ae82's, the castor is introduced/reduced by spinning the spring tops 180 degrees. so the tops will be sitting hard up on either the front or the back of the strut tower. for starters id make sure they're at the same point both sides, although depending on a number of factors, they may need to be switched around to suit.. only by getting an alignment will you know.

now on the stub axles, where they bolt up to the lower part of the strut, theres a little eccentric on the top bolt. did you mark these and line them back up? thats where the camber is altered.

the way you described it sounds very similar to how my car was running on GOR-09. i chewed out a brand new set of falkens down to canvas in 3 weeks.. so think about doing it sooner than later!

Members dont see this ad
+1 for wheel alignment.

on ae82's, the castor is introduced/reduced by spinning the spring tops 180 degrees. so the tops will be sitting hard up on either the front or the back of the strut tower. for starters id make sure they're at the same point both sides, although depending on a number of factors, they may need to be switched around to suit.. only by getting an alignment will you know.

now on the stub axles, where they bolt up to the lower part of the strut, theres a little eccentric on the top bolt. did you mark these and line them back up? thats where the camber is altered.

the way you described it sounds very similar to how my car was running on GOR-09. i chewed out a brand new set of falkens down to canvas in 3 weeks.. so think about doing it sooner than later!

Yeah, its all out a bit i think. I did it all up to what i thought looked ok on jack stands but i didnt check it all once it was all back together and on the ground driving. I'll get a pro do do it all. Might even do it today and start work late.

G'day :blinks:

I have a few problems with my ae82 sedan with the steering.

I chucked a 4age in my car and now i have really bad torque steer, I don't have power steering but i can sorta manage to control the torque steer but I have another problem...

When ever I go over a dip in the road or a small bump the steering seems to have a life of its own and wants to either go left or right. What was really scary was the other night, it was a really wet dark road and pissing down rain (first time i drove in the rain with the sedan). As I'm driving along, every time i hit a small puddle the car wanted to turn. It took all my effort just to keep the car in a straight line. At one time it was so bad I had the steering wheel turned to 10o'clock when the car was going straight.

Funny thing is i never have this problem in the dry. The steering is not loose and drives fine until I eather hit a dip in the road or drive in the wet so what could be wrong with my car? :(

I have a AE92 and it does the same thing but only after i put on some 17' low pro tires. + my power steering pump is about to go i think. but it is annoying everytime i hit a bump i gotta be grabbing the wheel so it dosnt jump around.

14mm toe-out ?!? Would of had some pretty mad turn-in response. Thats just crazy.

Whats the settings at now ?

From memory mine was on the front - 0 toe and 1-2 deg extra camber.

Back end was about 2mm total toe-out and standard (stock) camber.

Was going to make up some castor plates for the front end but never got around to it.

On an AE82 1 - 1.5mm toe in each side works good.

When I did the conversion on the seca and put the manual rack in it the toe out was shocking, in the wet was like 24/7 wheelspin and in the dry I hit the white sideline on the left and it walked around, I drove it like that for 2 days and did a DIY wheel alignment at home which I always have done.

• 3 months later...

hey mate

I'm the kid in the red 4age u met a few weeks ago

anyways dad and i have sort of been having the same problem with our car, when driving in the dry or wet it pulls off to the left and when hit a dip or bump it can go either way, we have had wheel alligned twice and a camber kit fitted, after the second wheel allignment it didnt pull to the left as bad but got more shakey through the dips. not too sure what the problem is but glad to see its not just us having this problem...

• 2 weeks later...