The Girl's Ke70

altezzaclub

Members dont see this ad

You are right! It's probably an AE90 as my Aunt bought it brand-new in NZ, so it would have been an Australian model. It defininately wasn't 4WD!

I'm sure they are vastly outnumbered by the AE91s bought in second-hand from Japan, but they look so similar I'd never tell them apart.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just want to store this data..

http://www.rollaclub...423#entry534423

can bolt an ae86/te71 T series 6.7" in a ke70 for instance for upgrade. tho bigger diff head needs shorter driveshaft etc

http://www.ke70.com/...x.php?t325.html

There are four different models of toyota that are readly avalble that came with a t-series

corona rt104 1974-1982

corona rt132 1978-1982

celica ra40 1978-1981

celica ra60 (same as ra40 diff,however it has sway bar mounts)1982-1985

te71 disk diff measured 1400mm.

-Automatic aus-spec MA61's came with 4.1 LSD (F293)

Read the Axle Code from the vehicle indentification plate. http://forums.toymod...?t=msg&th=33561

first digit: ring gear diameter

A 138mm

B 145mm

C 6.25"

D 6.62"

E 7.1"

Second, third digits: gear ratio

Fourth digit: no of pinions, ltd slip-yes/no

Code pinions ls

2 2 no

3 2 yes

4 4 no

5 4 yes

Model Axle Type Diff Details

Celica RA25 Solid Axle (coils) F313: 7.5", 3.90:1, 2 pinions, Clutch LSD

Stud Pattern Width Brakes

4x114.3 1365mm Drum

save this too-

""my flat mate had a 4k bored out 2 1486cc using 1600 mazda turbo pistons,

5k head gasket, valve grind, and f13 cam. went prity good in a road car.

not 2 sure what was dun 2 the head in regards 2 compretion ratio but i no

its about 9.8;1 ""

http://www.club-k.co...d.php?tid=14162

""previous owner took the 64k 4K engine out of his Starlet, bored it out to

5K, put in new pistons, and used it for about 10K, then he ditched it for a

4AGE. ""

http://www.club-k.co...d.php?tid=15972

-------------------------------------------------

""my bro bored a 4k out to 5k (80.5) so it can be done. BUT you need the right block its a commercial block with siameze bores""""i had a 4k that was bored out to a 5k, completlely balanced, shot peened rods, 11.5:1 compression, lightened flywheel, ported head, 304 deg cam and a 32/36 webber as well as 2 1/2inc exhaust and extractors. it made 56 rwkw's and it revved to 8 (as far i felt safe to rev it)"" joeschmo_57 user_popup.png

http://www.rollaclub...4k/page__st__30

Engine specs:

Twin solex carbs

double valve springs

ported head

extractors

Bored out to fit 5k pistons

Deburred block

knife edged crank

electronic ignition

http://www.ae86drivi...rens-KE70-wagon

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

""na didnt have any block problems at all just had to use a 5k headgasket with it. thats all a 5k is, a bored out 4k really....

no problems and u really notice the extra torque. compared to a stock 4k it putts along quite nicely and my mate refered to mine as " it goes like a 4age ""

---------------------------------

The 9000rpm 4AGE head 4K-

""Block

Sonic tested

Bores repositioned and overbored by 6mm""

-----------------------------------

Couple of Club-K have worked

http://www.club-k.co...d.php?tid=22491

More good ideas-

Watts linkage Mitch 12

ABS

http://www.rollaclub...__1#entry533093

http://www.rollaclub...ge__hl__holden+

Points- Andy 43

For the points get the XU1 points GB752 they have a stronger spring pressure, and hence bounce less
Edited by altezzaclub
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just re-read your entire thread... (took a while, only one eye atm :lol:)

When you play with cars you don't muck around do you? :no2: Just wanted to say that you obviously know your stuff, love the ingenuity & that I enjoy reading your findings :) Shame I don't have a KE70 anymore, you don't have any desire to experiment with 4AGE's do you? :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

No, they were made from some wiring I had lying around the garage.

I hadn't thought of that- although there is no high voltage source anywhere near them as the spark plugs are on the other side of the engine.

As an aside... I've been complaining in my head about a dammed tappet that I can hear ticking and I've checked them several times... Then today I noticed that it didn't occur when I started driving with the choke out, and suddenly appeared when I pushed the choke in...

If I pull the cable out only 2 or 3mm it changed the noise, so I assume the cable is bringing some engine vibration in through the firewall, and the dash panel where the choke mounts is acting as a resonator, like a guitar. Its a twin cable I bought for the SUs and it replaced the stock one. Weird things happen...

No, they were made from some wiring I had lying around the garage.

I hadn't thought of that- although there is no high voltage source anywhere near them as the spark plugs are on the other side of the engine.

Thanks man.

Bought 4x8m lengths of wire to make up a loom for the o2 display i put together yesterday. Happy to hear it wasnt a waste of money.

Will be making a tailpipe clamp so i can use it on other cars.

The kit I bought is actually the wideband one, so the controller will be coming soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

OK, a few guys have been asking about basic mods and costs, so this is what I paid-

Second-hand SU carbs and manifold, and extractors $600. Extractors were almost new, and you could get a down-draught Weber much much cheaper.

Airbox made $100. Mod your stock aircleaner or one slightly larger to fit your Weber.

Linkages, odd gaskets, ram tubes, needles, vacuum stuff, screws and bolts, twin choke cables, air filter, fuel pressure regulator, $450

Head skimmed, valves cut $165

Exhaust wrap, new exhaust system $400

Cam & followers ground via mail $195

Bearings, gasket set, crank cleaned $285

Tuning $145 (not impressed, did all the rest myself!)

So you can see the small things add up, over $400, but if you didn't touch the bottom end you could do it with a Weber downdraught for under $1500.

• 3 months later...

Wheel nuts! Don't talk to me about wheel nuts!! The ones I need don't exist!

When I bought the Datsun over from NZ in bits I had saved 4 Datsun factory rally mags from the dozen I had. Then I sold things like the rally suspension to a guy building a Southern Cross Rally replica 180B, and he swapped the works mags for a set of ROH. Having never got the Datsun on the road here I hadn't driven on them, but figured they would gear the KE70 up on the trip to Cairns.

13" KE70 wheels have a radius of 265mm, the 14" ROHs have 285, so that's 7.5% decrease in revs, compared to a 4.6% difference in changing diffs from the auto 4.3 we have to a manual 4.1. Its 260rpm at 100kph... say 3610 down to 3350rpm, suddenly closer to 3000 than 4000 for cruising 10hours a day! So in my endless search for the ideal wheel nut I headed down to Cowra this morning. 'Down' is the word, Orange is at 850M altitude and Cowra is at 300M, although there are many ups and downs. The tyre change killed the sparkle it has around town, it takes more to get it moving, and it has knocked it back to stock when hitting a hill! As soon as 3000rpm is reached its down to 4th instantly. Cruising is fine though, I think I'll still end up sitting on 3500revs, but just go faster.

When we bought the car I was quite happy with burling along at 90kph... now I expect ti to do 100kph everywhere!

post-7544-0-52584800-1332477458_thumb.jpg

I also grabbed a par of stock rear springs to try and soften the ride for the trip, and although they are one coil higher and lift the car an inch, the ride is very much the same. So in that photo above the nose is an inch lower and the tail is stock height. The other thing from the wrecker was a Commodore bonnet insulation sheet, which now sits above the mighty 4K! I think its a tiny bit quieter, I can hear the wind noise around the driver's window more!

post-7544-0-55643200-1332478029_thumb.jpg

Like the mags, I've got two sets at the moment slowly working their way to getting mounted on the khana car. They just need a tidy and some paint! What rear springs did you have before? I grabbed some stockies on the weekend as I want to soften the rear as well, but I'm not sure if it's actually going to work, they're a heavier gauge coil then I expected.

Those lowered springs came out of the donor brown car, so I don't know if they are cut stockies or something else. The wire diameter is 12.2mm on both the short & stock springs, the shorts are one coil lower, (7.3 coils against 8.3coils) but they are also a fracton larger in spring diameter, 132mm stock, 134.7 short springs. Maybe that's within the factory tolerance & they are just stockies with a coil cut off.

Measure the stud holes in your ROH mags and let me know. Mine are 17.2mm, impossible to find nuts for, and everything else in the world has 18.4mm holes & nuts... I'd drill the suckers but the drill bit is $55 to buy & I'd hate to get them off center!