Selling A Defected Car

Hey guys this has probably been asked a million times but i couldn't find a thread or anything so decided to make a new one,

i know u see defected cars for sale all the time is it legal to sell a car on defect or what's the go? any info would be much appreciated.

Regards Mike

Members dont see this ad
Hey guys this has probably been asked a million times but i couldn't find a thread or anything so decided to make a new one,

i know u see defected cars for sale all the time is it legal to sell a car on defect or what's the go? any info would be much appreciated.

Regards Mike

I'm not an authority on this, but from what I've heard you can sell a defected car without any problems, but it will get to have RWC done before you can register it (as you would with any car) and I think the defects will travel with the car. You'd have to make sure that you are advertising that it doesn't have a RWC (and is "defected"), if you are buying a car that doesn't have a RWC you have to remember that it'll sometimes take more money than you think to get it raodworthy. If you don't have a RWC you can't sell it with registration, you are basically just selling the physical car and the other person can't transferr the rego, so basically the rego should be cancelled before sale (but you can always do a dodgy if you are buying/selling and make it the responsibility of the buyer to get the RWC for registration, but that's not the way it's supposed to work).

From what i've been told from my few incidents with defects, as far as SA goes. I'm 90% that you are unable to sell the car if it is defected. Unless you sell it to a wreckers.

Things may have changed but I'm pretty sure thats what the officer said last time :P

Cheers for the info guys, looks like I'm just going to have to try and get it off defect. :P Its been plate swaped I'm fairly shure, but the rego papers(being pre 85 model) dosent have an vin number only engine number and it is different to the number on my actual engine. what do u think regency will have to say about that? do u think i can just act dumb and say that i had no idea that it's had a new engine put in it an they can inspect the so called engine conversion???

Go into service SA and fill out a change of details form.

Will get reamed for a non matching engine number.

Better yet, give regency a call and ask how you go about changing details prior getting the defect off. Just say you've swapped the engine and need to change the number.

That way you get the right info straight from the source.

Edited by SLO-030

You can sell a car on defect.

It just means the person can't change the registration into their name until the defect is cleared. This really doesn't matter since the car won't be able to be driven until the defect is cleared.

You do not have to be there when the car goes through regency. Any person can take a car through for inspection and clearing of a defect.

If you spend a bit of time on other forums where cars are more frequently defected you get to know this stuff :P

If that car has been plate swapped already then forget it!! :bash:

In QLD as far as i'm aware if a car has been defected while registered in person a's name, and it is sold un registered to person b, the defect is on longer relivant to the new owner, i've sold cars with defects on them to people, UN REGISTERED of course, but they never had a drama getting a roady or rego in the same car

South Australia is unique in the way their transport operates. somethings happen that do not anywhere else in the country, and other things do.

You can't compare Queensland to S.A. (Insert smartarse comment here.)

the defect is on longer relivant to the new owner

So its more like defecting the owner? :P

It just means the person can't change the registration into their name until the defect is cleared.

That was said earlier on in the thread. You can still "sell" it, but cannot transfer the legal ownership of a vehicle whilst on defect.

Edited by SLO-030

It just means the person can't change the registration into their name until the defect is cleared. This really doesn't matter since the car won't be able to be driven until the defect is cleared.

You do not have to be there when the car goes through regency. Any person can take a car through for inspection and clearing of a defect.

If you spend a bit of time on other forums where cars are more frequently defected you get to know this stuff :P

If that car has been plate swapped already then forget it!! :bash:

Okay cheers luke thats what i wanted to know :(. as was said up above if i ring service SA and fill out a sheet saying its had a new engine put in it and then go to regency do you reacon it would be okay?

because being a pre 1985 model car it dosent have to display the vin number on the rego papers and it dosent have the vin number on my rego papers i only have an engine number, so as the engine is obviousley not going to match up with the one stated on the rego papers but if i ring up service SA and fill out the forms for an engine swap then as far as i know they wont ever be able to tell if its been plate swaped because they wont find the vin number anywhere on the rego papers only the engine number will be different and it will be stated then on the papers that i have put a new engine in it what u think ( sorry for such a long rant)

Regards Mike