Making Your Own Air/fuel Meter

altezzaclub

OK, I'm looking at making an incar mixture guage for tuning with the twin SUs- I want to be able to optimise the needle shape without spending a fortune at the local dyno shop having him read the mixtures for me every time.

So I assume I can build a Jaycar LED display for $20, which hooks up to an oxygen sensor and flashes different coloured LEDs depending on the A/F ratio.

Now, can I hit the wreckers and buy a pair of oxygen sensors from two cars down there??

..and will narrow-band do it or do I need to go to wideband?

It will be the sort of thing that gets used for a month until I'm happy with the carbs and then thrown under the stairs, so if anyone wants to borrow it after that it would be OK.

has anyone built one??

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trev's on the money, narrow bands are only really good under fixed throttle position, as they take a couple of seconds to react to exhaust gases the reading is useless under acceleration. Wideband sensors take a fraction of a second to tell you what the mix is doing, definitely worth while IMO. Jaycar do a wideband kit too, just need to make sure it can datalog.

OK, I'm looking at making an incar mixture guage for tuning with the twin SUs- I want to be able to optimise the needle shape without spending a fortune at the local dyno shop having him read the mixtures for me every time.

So I assume I can build a Jaycar LED display for $20, which hooks up to an oxygen sensor and flashes different coloured LEDs depending on the A/F ratio.

Now, can I hit the wreckers and buy a pair of oxygen sensors from two cars down there??

..and will narrow-band do it or do I need to go to wideband?

It will be the sort of thing that gets used for a month until I'm happy with the carbs and then thrown under the stairs, so if anyone wants to borrow it after that it would be OK.

has anyone built one??

i would say this is the one you are thinking of i got one on a monday built it hooked it up to a car on tuesday and on wednesday went and got one of this

post-10770-1278831037.jpg .... post-10770-1278831084.jpg

you will never look back when you use a wideband mate it is just more money but it well worth it. the narrow band only worked around 14.7 on light cruz

and the wideband was reading from 10.1-18.1 , as it's name say's you have a wider band to look at. the aem one cost me $350 so not as dear as some.

Currently using one from TechEdge which hooks up to the laptop and allows data logging, Fairly cheap, other options are the innovate which I don't know if you can log with the meter as I never tried as it was hooked up to the dyno or read live on onroad testing.

The one that rb20_rolla has posted uses UEGO lambda which you can use on the techedge and on the innovate.

Edited by Trev

RB20, tell me about the Jaycar unit-

Did it work OK? What sensor did you use with it? Did it need anything else apart from wideband 4wire?? probe and that Jaycar module?

Was the AEM unit worth twice the price??

the jay car one is narrow band one i have not used a jaycar wideband one as for the narrow band one it's no good for tuning.

i am very happy with the aem one but i brought it for the price at the time and have had it on a car that was tune with a motec one and we put the aem

one on and it read the same as the motec one so i was happy, my mate's motec one was $1500.

i was looking at a plx setup but happy with the aem, once i worked out how to log it and get it running through my laptop it work's fine and have used it on

a few carby v8 and have got some good result's, it does a/r and lambda and has a analog out put and a 0-5 volt out put and can be calibrated and a auto meter

looking gauge but it is one of the cheaper one's around trev put a link on hear for techedge and they look like they have more functions so have a read.

the jay car one is going in the bin that's what i think of it but if you are trying to cheap just a sensor is anywhere up to $100 or so for a good one.

i have hear good things about the innovate one as a stand alone setup but never used one i like the aem one but it's the only one i have used.

Edited by rb20 rolla

Thanks rb20, that makes sense!

Ok- found a few things out as today was wet and foggy so Google was a good option!

Jaycar kits need the display $60, and the controller $80 and the Bosch sensor from a VY Commonwhore $80... and probably a few cables.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?I...mp;SUBCATID=347

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5486

post-7544-1278845767_thumb.jpg

Edited by altezzaclub

Innovate and AEM are similar gauges with the controllers built in and the sensors hard-wired to them. Both $300- $330

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Air-Fuel-Meter-Inno...=item23054b26ff

http://www.meek.com.au/index.php?act=viewP...p;productId=301

I should of put the innovate link up.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm2.php

This one is not a gauge, It is a hand held unit that also works as an OBD-II scanner, We got ours as it had obd and could hook up to the dyno and display realtime, The innovate is a package in one, The techedge on the other hand only has a 3rd party system on the PC or you can buy optional gauge, we set it up with TEWBLOG but now run it with nissan consult.

Techedge make the 2Y as their base model now, $265

http://wbo2.com/2y/default.htm

So, seeing I was hoping to do something for under $100, has anyone got one of these they'd like to lend me for a few weeks!! Slab of beers your way of course!! :(

You will find that most of that will be the price of the sensor itself, Lambda's that my old boss used to buy were 300 each...