Gjm85'S Ke20 Build

GJM85

I'd like to log the progress of my KE20 as it makes its way from a rough old original to a neat streeter.

Purchased the vehicle on the 1/8/2010 for $1500. I saw it driving home from the wreckers after buying new seats for my daily. I've been told i'm the third owner. Originally owned by some old biddy, then a younger dude, whom I bought it off. Thanks Tyson and thanks to my brother for not buying it out from under me.

The car itself is a 1972 KE20 SE coupe. All original apart from paintand 4k upgrade, but still has 3k components. It drives well apart from the reversed rear leaf springs.... it's low.

It's riding on Firestones with 70% tread. The spare is near new.

Now what do I want to do with it? Spend money.

I'd like a quick little streeter that turns heads but not police cars. So here's the plan.

• bodily restoration
  • hot 5k
  • twin sidedrafts
  • K50 trans
  • KE55 diff[no lock]
  • KE55 rear drum upgrade
  • KE70 rotors and calipers
  • good rear shocks & lowered leafs
  • upgrade front suspension
  • alloy wheels
  • rejuvinated interior and dash.
  • mild stereo

Here's the pics. Any help or gear that people are prepared to contribute for reimbursment would be much appreciated, afterall i'm new to this.

post-8643-1280629687_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1280629873_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1280630070_thumb.jpg

Edited by GJM85

Members dont see this ad

Too all those interested,

After having a deep and meaningful conversation with a very wise man, myself, i've decided change the plan and outcome overall.

I say no to 4age and yes to hot 5k.

The pros are- far less work, far more originality. Far less cost for, far more value.

The cons are- far less early to midteen runs, far more mid to late teen runs.... that's all I can really think of.

So people, I am now chasing a 5k and a 5 speed gearbox to suit and a bigger diff center. Also upgrades in suspension and brakes. If you have anything or know of anything that can hit me up. I'll appreciate it. I'll update the original post accordingly.

Finally i'm interested in keeping the standard ke20 stud pattern but upgrading the rear drums and front from drum to discs. What can I do?

Too all those interested,

After having a deep and meaningful conversation with a very wise man, myself, i've decided change the plan and outcome overall.

I say no to 4age and yes to hot 5k.

The pros are- far less work, far more originality. Far less cost for, far more value.

The cons are- far less early to midteen runs, far more mid to late teen runs.... that's all I can really think of.

So people, I am now chasing a 5k and a 5 speed gearbox to suit and a bigger diff center. Also upgrades in suspension and brakes. If you have anything or know of anything that can hit me up. I'll appreciate it. I'll update the original post accordingly.

Finally i'm interested in keeping the standard ke20 stud pattern but upgrading the rear drums and front from drum to discs. What can I do?

hey gave mate i would keep the idea of the ke70 struts for the front of the car as it will already be disc and will have a wider range of wheels to use eg pcd of ke70 is 114.3 and i think the ke20s are like 4x110 i could be wrong

hey gave mate i would keep the idea of the ke70 struts for the front of the car as it will already be disc and will have a wider range of wheels to use eg pcd of ke70 is 114.3 and i think the ke20s are like 4x110 i could be wrong

Hey i'm feeling lost and confused now. Just read the K motor knowledge thread. As much as it blows the k motors up, it beats them down just as hard.

Not sure what i'm doing now. Might just get the thing apart, assess the damage, then work out what i'm doing. There seems to be a lot of work involved in doing the conversion to the 4a and information is shit up the wall like a cornered cat.

Edited by GJM85