Gjm85'S Ke20 Build

GJM85

Members dont see this ad

Another productive day.

I ran the front quarters down to MSR Kustoms. They haven't started the 20 yet.... :D Then when I got home I called the tow guy and organised to get the 55 donor down from Caboolture. Low & behold he was flat today, so he headed up to get it.

In the mean time, brother Keiron, who might I add is not a toyota fan hepled me with the 5k. We pulled it down to a block in 2&1/2 hrs. So a few discoveries toay, the '3k' I pulled out of the 20 originally is actually a 4k with all the 3k gear on it & the 5k does not have solid lifters. So from the information I gathered, correct me if i'm wrong but, if I use 202 red motor lifters and datsun 1200 pushrods with the 4k adjustable rocker gear I should get away with it. I'm not entirely sure if a cam and machined head will upset that mix????

Finally as we were packing up the donor arrived and we had a few minutes to give it a quick look over before the missus called stamping her feet. It's obiously been used in a homegrown motorkhana but it's still pretty good. Not running due to a missing negative terminal. It's going to be difficult to take it to pieces. It'll be like a heart donation out of a live patient....

Here's some progress pics.

Cheers.

PS. It gets hard to keep track of mulitple photo uploads.... the rocker gear photo with the red ignition leads is actually of brother JP's 4k when I was comparing rocker assembly.

post-8643-1282031326_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1282031344_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1282031362_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1282031754_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1282031775_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1282031808_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1282031873_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1282031904_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1282031926_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1282031944_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1282031965_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1282031987_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1282032103_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1282032124_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1282033576_thumb.jpg

Edited by GJM85

Hey man, progress is getting there =] and congrats on the supercharger

what were your reasons behind choosing a super charger over a blowthrough turbo setup... Just that we seem to have similar wants for our 5k ke20's and I have no idea on cars :D i just look and like haha

If you would prefer to inbox details feel free :D

Hey man, progress is getting there =] and congrats on the supercharger

what were your reasons behind choosing a super charger over a blowthrough turbo setup... Just that we seem to have similar wants for our 5k ke20's and I have no idea on cars :D i just look and like haha

If you would prefer to inbox details feel free :D

There was a lot of weighing up to be done. I originally wanted to run twin webbers but i want a bit more power again. The natural option, turbo or charger came up and this is where the decision was made. There is a lot more involved in turboing. 1) It must be a blow through set up or your risking a lot. 2)It cost a whole lot more in parts. ie. turbo, intercooler, plumbing & modifications etc....

Yes the possibility for a lot more power in the top end is there, but who really needs it on the street? You can't use it to its potential with out losing your license.

So the blower was my choice for a number of reasons. 1) its an easy swap from NA to charger with substantial gain of power. 2)The charger as has a clutch and can be turned on and off. 3)More low end power. 4)Far more cost efffective and easy to set up.

The list could go on.... but the real reason is I can remove the blower, if I want and still have a fair degree of power.

Edited by GJM85

Is your 5k getting fully built? Or are you just doing the solid lifter conversion and porting the head?

well I did an assessment today on the block and lower end gear. The pistons are good, i'd estimate they have done no more than 20,000km and they are ACL's. So as it stands the bottom end will go back together with a full bearing kit and a set of quality rings. From ou measurements the bore stands at 80.55mm and the pistons are clean other than the carbon build up on top, so no it won't be a full rebuild.

I priced thhe rebuild kit today and it's around 570$. To get the head reconned with a port and polish i'm looking at $200-$500 for recon and $106/hr for the port job, so I'm probably just going to get it milled 10thou", buy some di-grinder bits, port it myself and put and VRS kit through it.

I picked the 5k up from Southport Autorecyclers and it's come with new leads, oil filter, plugs and plug sleeves. THe dizzy looks clean and the cam and lifters have no wear. The waterpump and all bearings look clean as, so I'd say it's been rebuilt recently. There isn't even any corrosion in the water jackets.

The ke55, I bought as a doner has made me all confused and discruntled.

So far, everyone who has seen it has told me i'ts too good to part. I have too admit. It's totally grannyspec and orginal. It just needs some panel work but other than that she's sweet. It even kicks over first turn. Runs smoothly, quiet and with no smoke until it starts valve bouncing.... oh sweet JESUS!!!!! I feel like a murderer. I'm gonna need a couple of days think this over....

Did the block today, so here's some picks....

post-8643-1282112326_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1282112442_thumb.jpg

mmm its only a ke55 sedan no one wants them, and if you don't take the shit you need then you will be trudging for months to find what you want, motor looks good on the otherhand, don't try a port job yourself as you don't know what sort of flow (not the cash flow) your gonna want, if you don't wanna pay the money, then don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mmm its only a ke55 sedan no one wants them, and if you don't take the shit you need then you will be trudging for months to find what you want, motor looks good on the otherhand, don't try a port job yourself as you don't know what sort of flow (not the cash flow) your gonna want, if you don't wanna pay the money, then don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well I gave my old 92 a pretty good port job.... so... we'll see closer to the head date. Either way.....the flow I want will be...MASSIVE!!!!

Went down to Beenleigh Bearings today. They made some phone calls and confirmed with me that I can use 202 red motor lifters with the standard pushrods and 4k rocker gear. So they on order along with the full rebuild kit included ACL pistons and molly rings. Woot Woot. Should be able to pick up the lot on Friday arvo.

Too start off this post i'd like to give a big thanks to Rockinrolla..... Good advice = Money saved.

Running with a 4k head and rocker assembly now using the 5k valve springs. Lower compression for an engine that would of ended up with a 20,000,000:1 compression ratio....

Again, another disorientating day. The intake manifold I pulled off the 4k from the 20 is a 3kb manifold. Which got me all tingly inside. I pulled the 5k head down and found the #4 intake valve is bent and all the exaust valves are in pretty bad shape... I had the head and manifold in the car ready too go to the shop tomorrow. Now i'm goin with the 4k head so tomorrow i'll pull one down....

I got a call from MSR Kustoms about the ke20. They've done the arse end neat and straight with a new valence panel and started on the sides. They blew back around the weather channels and they just.... fell off.... :D They've asked me too come in tomorrow and assess the situation. I'm upset now because it's becoming easier and easier too ditch the ke20 and run with the ke55 I got for donor parts..... :D ;) ;) I have reached a critical and pivotal point in the build process.... the 20 has already touched my soul.

Here the pix....

post-8643-1282214469_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1282214491_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1282214523_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1282214552_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1282214647_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1282214664_thumb.jpg

Edited by GJM85