Gjm85'S Ke20 Build

GJM85

Didn't you guesstimate the pushrods to be about 30mm too long?, If thats the case take like 20mm or so off them then see how that goes, not by actually starting and running the motor, by only hand turning the motor over with the rocker cover off that should give you a rough idea on how long or short they need to be :blinks: i hope that helps

Members dont see this ad

Once I get the cam back I can drop in the followers, sit the head on top with the rocker gear assembley set at centre adjustment. From there I should be able to get a perty close pushrod length by using the shorter pushrod and measuring the excess distance. It shouldn't matter if I'm a f@$kteenth out because the rocker gear is adjustabl.e :blinks:

Got the sump off the 4k today. Wire wheeled it back and painted it. I still have a few coats to go. I also dropped the pistons in and tensioned up the big ends only to fond about a mm worth of play with new bearings... uh oh! The crank bigend measures in at 41.42mm. It's obviously had a crank grind, so we measured the crank out of the donor 4k. It stands at 42.42mm. The result is.... where swapping the cranks... should save me buying a set of oversized bearings :jamie:

Edited by GJM85

The problem with that is man, is the 4k's stroke length and shit the same as the 5k cause you will run into drama's with it if it's not close man, i realise it shouldn't matter with the 5k pistons and rods it'll keep it close but will it be the same?

Picked up the cam today and started pulling apart the spare 4k for the crankshaft. Sunday being father's day and being a father the ball and chain should at least allow mme to spend some time getting the engine back together. I've been looking around for some induction all week. People just aren't satisfied with making a buck these days. They all want to make two.

It looks like i'm going to set up a pair of twin 40mm solex's that have been sitting around in dad's garage for a few years to begin with. Until, the SC12, I can work out what to do with it and where to do get it done. f@$king ebay conmen. :hmm:

Spoke to MSR yesterday. They've completed the left side of the weather channnel and just need to finish the around the B pillar. Completely remade the weather channels. So they say it'll probably be another 2 weeks before they finish the right side then another week or two on the front end.... I know these things take time but f@$k.... I'm paying a premium....

Rust is never an easy thing to kill gav, it takes a fair bit of work to undo what has happened :lolcry: , but by the sounds of what your old boy was saying tonight it seems like there doing a great job, i can't wait to see the car painted and running bud, it should scoot better than it did when you picked it up aye :lolcry:

Much progress on the motor today. Thanks to my Dad for much useful engine buildings tips.I picked up the cam from Tighe's on Friday. Hot of the mill. Literally. I don't think he was impressed with how impatient I am. Tough titties.

A few changes. Using the 4k fuel pump because its larger volume. 4k alternator and water pump. The water pump I pulled of the spare 4k was clean as on the inside so we decided it won't hurt to use it as with the fuel pump.

Went to Dad's today and pulled the 5k back out. We got the spare 4k crank in, pistons, cam and twin timing gear. Then we did the rear main seal, electric dizzy, timing cover, shimmed oil pump, 4k sump and 5k harmonic balancer. We then moved on to the gearbox mounts, oil regulator, 4k fuel pump, 4k water pump and finally the 4k alternator mounts.... :lolcry:

The head is sitting on and we were ready to do execute the exact math to determine the pushrod length when I realised I left the new lifters at home. That in turn put an end to my ever productive day. HOORAY!

....and the pics.

PS: I don't think i'll be using the 3kb manifold I just had milled out (viewable in last image) so I am considering putting it up for sale. Also say "hello" to Rozza. He's the hairy VB drinking dude who sat there the whole day watching us work.

post-8643-1283677802_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1283677848_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1283677872_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1283677887_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1283677924_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1283677952_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1283678014_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1283678030_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1283678056_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1283678109_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1283678517_thumb.jpg

Edited by GJM85