Matts Swb Pajero

Progress has slowed a bit, been working on the rola a fair bit cos its in the shed out of the rain, its blows in pretty bad where the pajero is.

Engine is back in for good, auto is bolted up again as well.

Extractors from the hsv didnt clear the chassis rails by about 5mm, so i have cut and shut them to fit, tacked them with the mig, and got the old man to finish weld them.

battery tray has been moved to the opposite side of the engine bay to allow room for the air box, the mounts are welded on and ready to bolt in once extractors are in.

Have decided to use the pajero factory airbox but swap it to the other side, is all mounted now and looks the goods, the commodore one didnt fit, a fair bit too large.

Power steering is sorted, have cut and shut the pressure hose. Also removed the cooling loop from the power steering and ran it through a small cooler instead. It was a factory engine cooler for the pajero engine, but is mounted right beside the steering, so was just too convenient especially when i had already damaged the factory cooling loop.

Computer Wiring is 70% done, enough done to start it, but need to sort out a few other things, auto park neutral lock out, and a few other minor ones.

Body loom is half done, earthing is all done, alternator plugs in, still have to cut and shut a few big power cables.

Radiator is mounted on the bottom so far, its a vs v8 alloy ebay special, the vx one was too wide, but the earlier shape one knocks 100mmm off the width so its perfect. I Am rubber mounting it to avoid fatigue in the alloy.

Going to enzed tomorrow to get air con hoses made, also getting some hose for heater pipes and fuel lines while I'm there.

Plenty of stuff still to go, but getting through it, got my tax back so that will get me a set of 33s i recon.

No pictures atm, might take some tomoz.

Edited by oh what a nissan feeling!

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a pain with that diff being wrong... Loving how quickly this is coming together, looks like one of the more fiddly conversions I've seen done. Keep up the great work, will cruise up the sunny coast and borrow that wideband sometime if the rain decided to give up for a while.

No worries at all man, you might be able to get some time in between the storms. :bash:

Picked up new diff out of a 97 model on monday, 8" this time. :yes:

so began fitting the front locker but got lazy and decided to go inside and crank the aircon up.

Also have a new rear diff on its way from victoria, its a larger one out of a '99 model,

bolts straight in and comes with a factory rear air locker. so driveline should be near bulletproof.

Looks like the rear tailshafts share the same uni joint too, so that little problem is easy to sort as well.

New ratios are 3.6, instead of the old 3.9, so the missus should be able to get some good economy, i know i won't.

Pics coming soon, the woman must have the camera.

8" diff :yes:

IMG_2123.jpg

bolts straight in and comes with a factory rear air locker. so driveline should be near bulletproof.

IMG_2120.jpg

IMG_2134.jpg

intake used jero air box on its side, got some silicone so i don't drown it again, just need some pipe 3.5 inch

IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg

Had to remove washer bottle to fit snorkel inside the guard, still room for it, just need a different shape.

IMG_2125.jpg

Got some 33 muddies too on procomp rims.

With these kind of superchargers can you setup an intercooler very easily? This thing will fly and with that supercharger the slow speed offroading will be great. A mate from school who's up the coast has an Jackaroo with a chev 4L v6 and a 4 speed commo auto, on 4.7's and massive muddies. Has been wide bodied too, 8" lift :lolcry: Have to introduce you guys so you can go tear up some offroads somewhere, looking at spending the weekend in Pomona in a week or 2, so definitely beer time :)

They do make a cooler kit, a spacer plate style water to air, real pricey though.

Probably the biggest let down with this setup if i was chasing some extra grunt, its pointless without the intercooler, and the smallest one available is $1200.

Beer time :yes: , too right! still got my number?

• 1 month later...

its been awhile since an update on this, but it is getting a fair bit of attention.

made some mounts for the radiator, the pins are on the side, so made these op using the factory rubbers.

IMG_2163-1.jpg

IMG_2162-1.jpg

also made an adaptor for the pajero airbox to commo afm.

ran out of mig wire so only got to half weld it, just goobered the rest.

IMG_2161-1.jpg

Changed the rear flange on the tailshaft to suit the new diff

IMG_2160-2.jpg

out with the old diff.

IMG_2168-1.jpg

IMG_2170-2.jpg

IMG_2169-2.jpg

in with the new...

IMG_2171-2.jpg

Also finally put the new seal in the diff, and finished that side off with cv and all that.

IMG_2175-1.jpg

IMG_2173-2.jpg

IMG_2176-1.jpg

alot of stuff is complete, have started it breiefly, but it stalls out after a few seconds, but still have to hook up throttle cable.

IMG_2161-2.jpg

How did you go getting it running? have you got the security removed from the ECU? The engine will not run without the body control module (BCM), Commodore Keyhead and ignition barrel ring , this is why it only runs for a few seconds, it then cuts the injectors.

You can buy a BCM simulator to override the ECU security or take the ECU and get it reflashed without the security.

Did you already know this?

yeh mate, thanks anyways for the help, has been flashed by dicks electronics.

I finally found my multimeter, and it turns out i had the wrong wire from the pajero,

it was only giving power in the start position.

Runs sweet now as far as i can tell with no zorst.

final list:

bleed brakes (cause of diff change)

charge lt don't work?

Wire oil light up (can't find the damn wire)

transfer case oil

both diffs oil

auto shifter (coming from usa)

reverse lt hook up

auto start p+n only wired

Mount ecu + relay board

Clamp battery down

mount throttle cable properly

probably stuff i missed, but getting there!

• 1 month later...

yeehaa! progress!

nearly time for some off road action.

We have plans for landcruiser park first weekend in may.

I mounted the ecu, fuses and relays behind and beside the glovebox.

glovebox is now slightly smaller, but at least puter is out of water zone.

IMG_2189.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

Also bought a b+m shifter because i was too lazy to play around with a factory one.

that backfired, as the new lever for the gearbox hit the tailshaft, and i had to custom the whole things anyways!

Should have stuck with a factory shifter, the console would have been easier too.

IMG_2187.jpg

IMG_2188.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2192.jpg

Fitted a thermo, just fits between the pulleys on the engine.

No room for shrouding, will see how it goes anyways, could modify radiator support to give some more room i think.

IMG_2193.jpg

IMG_2194.jpg

Also fitted an oil cooler for the auto, Decided to stick with the proper brake style joins that the commo had, so got the flaring tool and made up some hard lines to suit.

IMG_2197.jpg

IMG_2198.jpg

This list is done and dusted...

bleed brakes (cause of diff change)

charge lt don't work?

Wire oil light up (can't find the damn wire)

transfer case oil

both diffs oil

auto shifter (coming from usa)

reverse lt hook up

start p+n only wired

Mount ecu + relay board

Clamp battery down

mount throttle cable properly

zorst

car Is now at the exhaust shop, dropped it off this afternoon.

So, left to do is ......get a rwc and mod plates.

then:

wire rear locker

skids

fit all bash plates

make sill protection