Ke15 5k Turbo

stevejw

Thought it was about time to put up a Rides post about my current ke15.I started rebuilding it in 2008 .I first got the shell as a spare parts car for the ke15 I had at the time. I never planned on rebuilding it, as it was not that great a shell .It was only ever going to be a parts car for panels etc should something unthinkable happen to my good one. Well the unthinkable happened one night while I was out my house was broken into & my ke15 was used as the getaway car .Latter to be found as a burn out shell in the local pine forest .A few years passed till I finally got the bug again to drive a ke15 .So I decided to rebuild the old shell I had sitting there for parts .I used the front guards / motor and whatever else I salvaged from the burnt out wreck .I finished it with the intention of useing it as an everyday car not an original to go to car shows .(I got one for that half way through this rebuild + another good one all after I started this rebuild)

So it gets some modifications.

Brakes are ke35 discs with a duel circuit gallant master cyl

k50 gearbox while it lasts

First motor setup was the original 4k from the burnt car with a sc14 & 45 dellorto draw through setup.

Worked well ran 10psi boost was fun to drive could switch off the blower & still worked well .I made a second set of pulleys for 15psi but didn’t get the results I was hoping for. It went harder but I didn’t put enough time into turning it & always planned on water injection so the timing could come back up a bit .In the end I just drove it till I found a crack in the manifold so it was time for my second idea to be used.

5k turbo a bit different to what I have seen posted here. I liked the look of the blower but it stood out too much when the bonnet was opened (no mod plate ) I wanted the turbo to sit down low and use a draw through so from the top just looks like a std carbie setup .I’m useing a T25 carbon sealed turbo just the std Asian carbie at the moment but I made the manifold to use a 34adm Webber .Currently running 15psi boost it performs a far bit better than the 4k did supercharged . But the blower had it all down low where this is from 3000rpm up.

Just fitted a new slightly bigger diff it’s a Borg Warner from a corona st141.Only used it as I had it sitting there and was a 4.11 ratio + I knew it was in good condition .I had to cut it down 120mm & change the stud Patten to 4x110 & change the mounts . A far bit of work for only a slightly better diff .I’m going to do another one 28 spline Borg Warner 78 cheap & strong.

The next mod is to install water injection so I can increase the timing & boost without it pinging.

Also put a 34ADM Webber on but at the moment I can’t get over how well it goes with only the std Asian

I always planned to build a motor just for boost (5k with 4k head )but want to try the water injection first as i know a k will handle a lot of boost as it is but only when it has it’s timing backed right off + the water injection works so well with old school boosted 6&:dance: .Then it is just a bolt on/off setup to any k motor .I have set it up with an exhaust flange so I can bolt up the turbo or the std carbie & extractors in a couple of hours.

Well there is a lot of words so now for some picks

post-867-1281529915_thumb.jpg

post-867-1281529997_thumb.jpg

post-867-1281530046_thumb.jpg

post-867-1281530092_thumb.jpg

post-867-1281530125_thumb.jpg

post-867-1281530171_thumb.jpg

post-867-1281530207_thumb.jpg

post-867-1281530259_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Members dont see this ad

Yeah the first pick is the shell that is now the red sprinter .Then the ke15 that was burnt out .I was the the third owner to that when I got it I was still an apprentice 19 years old it my 2nd car i'm now 44 it was a very very good origional sl sprinter. other picks are the engine modes I've done

Very nice mate i like you intuitive design with the draw through set up mate, i hope you found out who flogged your car when it happened, sucks to hear that bud, these are starting to become more and more popular to get restored now days good luck with it, what turbo is that?

No never found out who did it that was about 6 years ago .Only thing I was thankfull for was that they didn't take the mx13 corona mk2 that was beside it which has been in the family since new . The turbo is a garret t25

Edited by stevejw

nice work man, really nice set up and very well thought out :dance:

with the blower setup did you have to do anything with the fuel system, it

looks like your still running a standard pump, did you have a return line or

was it not needed?

anyway awesome job.

cheers Justin

Thanks Justin

The std pump was fine with the dellorto it flowed enough and never leaned out. I used the corolla pump that has a return to tank bult in so there wasnt too much pressure on the needle & seat but I did restrict the return fitting on the pump to give me a bit more pressure than std. With the draw through you don't have to worry about boost pressure affecting the carb like in blow through just have to make sure it flows enough . Also just added a couple new picks one of the diff I just fitted & the turbo now that it is wraped

Cheers

Steve

post-867-1281579011_thumb.jpg

post-867-1281579037_thumb.jpg

post-867-1281579091_thumb.jpg

post-867-1281579120_thumb.jpg

Edited by stevejw

As all have said love the setup and how stealth it looks. You really would just think its just a standard engine bay if you didn't know better. :P I also like the idea of being able to convert back to NA in a couple of hours easily. Draw through makes things so much simpler.

Had it on a dyno yet?

Surely there would be a bit more to be had out of it with a small weber. They can make a bit of difference on a stocko NA one so I do see why you wouldn't get half decent gains on this. Maybe even to stick with the stealth look you can have a look at another members stealth EFI system from an early falcon. I'll find you a link.....

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=18354

Edited by Taz_Rx

As all have said love the setup and how stealth it looks. You really would just think its just a standard engine bay if you didn't know better. :P I also like the idea of being able to convert back to NA in a couple of hours easily. Draw through makes things so much simpler.

Had it on a dyno yet?

Surely there would be a bit more to be had out of it with a small weber. They can make a bit of difference on a stocko NA one so I do see why you wouldn't get half decent gains on this. Maybe even to stick with the stealth look you can have a look at another members stealth EFI system from an early falcon. I'll find you a link.....

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=18354

Hi I haven't had it on a dyno yet still want to do some improvements The webber will be going on and addapting the ke70 aircleaner to fit it so it will still look stock.But I can't get over how well it goes with the little asian .I thought I would be down on boost but it flows enough to make 15psi.I looked into brodies efi setup back in 2008 (my name says I'm new here but I've been on rolla club for years just don't post :D )I got all the info from him about it as I planned back then to use that setup with a blow through .But I then went supercharged & put the turbo on hold till now. The next step at this stage is the water injection only real option with draw through (can't use an intercooler) so I can up the timing which should make a bit more of an improvement over the carbie.It goes so much harder with only a couple more deg's added but then the pinnging starts.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by stevejw