5k Engine Transplant

Xany

I know this is like deep in the archives... but Xany, this is a very informative and very beneficial thread for me to study, as it gives me warnings and things to keep an eye out on with my car!

Good job on the motor too! :)

Members dont see this ad

hehehehe.....i was waiting for someone to dig this up...

while its been dug up i may as well update it.

atm the 5k is still smoking as the valve stem seals that we replaced the non-exsistent ones with came off. The head will be going off to bob up at frawleys engine reconditioning to get a flow job on the ports and valve seats...then hes going to hopefully change the valves over to a better sealing system.

the LSD is still sitting on my garage floor and the new discs are sitting right next to it....waiting on some brake pads and then we figure out how to get the handbrake to work....

the T50 is also sitting on the garage floor waiting to have the K-T bellhousing attached to it, its also sitting right next to it..... :angrybird: just waiting on my brother now to get the clutch for it and it should be a goer......YAY!

so hopefully in the next month i should have the LSD and Gearbox in....with a custom length tailshaft.

its all coming together.....and to think this time last year i bought a supercharger and was just going to whack it on....hahahaha....yeah right....i like to do things properly.

Good stuff! :thumbsup: And yeah, it had to be another KE55 rolla boy in search of a 5K.... ME! :thumbsup: hahahah

And don't worry, give you time, that little blower will go in after all has been put back into place :angrybird:

so hopefully in the next month i should have the LSD and Gearbox in....with a custom length tailshaft.

custom length tailshaft???

what T-50 box are you using?? there is 2, small shaft and large, the later been in the AE86.

if you have a K box in there now there shouldn't be any difference in length when you fit the T-50 box.

correct fook....

i'm actually slotting in the R31 LSD diff at the same time so i'll need a tailshaft that is a little shorter than normal....

however.....just thinking i may be easier to slot the t50 in first.....then do the diff, measure the tailshaft to see how long i need it and then put the stock diff back in until i get the tailshaft made up....so i'm not without a car.

Edited by Xany

• 6 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Wow....how times have changed.

That engine is still going strong in the car....built over 10 years ago! It's had a few bits and pieces done to it since.

I've recently pulled the old Corolla out of the parentals place (it lives undercover there) and been slowly getting it back to a reliable car again. It actually didnt take too much, just mainly a full service and a replacing a couple of oil seals.

I've been tinkering with the thought of pulling the engine out and either refreshing it with flat top pistons and new bearings, rings and gaskets....or rebuilding a 3TC engine for the car.

The supercharger idea never really got there....closest i got was the supercharger mounted on a bracket with a belt on it. The very next day I got defected for it....Karma is a bitch!

I think its time to reuse my motor building skills and actually get this engine the compression it deserves!

• 5 months later...

Funny enough, I think it wasnt long after my last post on this thread that the engine decided to blow a headgasket....can't complain really.

The car was towed to back to my house and has sat since the end of april until now....as I had too many things going on and not enough time to work on anything.

Today, I eventually got around to actually pulling the head off and having a good gander at what went wrong. Cylinder 4 was the culprit with a water jacket at the back of the head gasket blowing through into the cylinder.

That cylinder has pitting in the bore so I'm now trying to find time to pull the block out and hopefully get it all tested and bored out again. :D Then i'll be sourcing some shallow dished pistons for the ol' 5K and slugging them into place and replacing bearings etc.

Head is currently down at the engine builders getting a going over....should be all good :D

11218863_10153162610196903_2181989764910893466_n.jpg

11350895_10153162610326903_3519036888011330062_n.jpg

11231678_10153162610356903_5214540376397253504_n.jpg

11988251_10153162610446903_2369532542117228031_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

3K%20head.jpg

This is how the head looks at the moment. :D

Update is basically found out that my engine block was stuffed.... .40 thou over and couldnt get the bore smooth enough on cylinder 4 to class it as "good". So I put the call out on the facebook page and Cameron came through with a standard bore block! :D

I dropped it off at the machinist just the other day and it hopefully should be good to go next week :)

I'm hoping to have the engine built again by Christmas.....I miss driving it. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Should hopefully be picking up the .40 thou machined block in the next few days.

Just for records sake, head should now have 2T valve springs and LS1 chrome moly retainers (just cause I can).

Watch this space. :D

Having issues with the retainers unfortunately....LS1 retainers are slightly bowed upwards on the inside near where the valve stem sits....thus making the top of the retainer REEEEALLLLLY close to the top of the valve stem (possible binding issue with the rockers). It's unfortunate because everything else looks fine.... So now I have to figure out if I can either machine the retainers down or get slightly different ones. UGH

I would just use the crow cams double valve spring set they do.....however because of the way the stem seals have to be set up....I would never be able to fit the inner spring as it wouldnt fit over the stem seal I've used.

/back to the drawing board.

Edited by Xany