Team Racing Dynamic Abilities Tincan

78_7kRolla

Members dont see this ad
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Johno, i'm sure we'll have a chat on the gor :)

I have an update. I have sent off the two heads that came with the car to the head shop. One is confirmed as unsalvageable but the other is able to be done up :D

Got my oil cooler back from the radiator joint and is now sporting a new core and end connections as they were bent and leaking. Rings, bearings and gaskets have also been ordered and should arrive next week. So all in all a very expensive week but at least by next week i'll be able to start putting it back together slowly.

Matt.

• 2 weeks later...

This will be fun... I hate front drivers but my tincan was one of the most fun cars to drive that I have owned!

Can't wait to overtake you on the back straight of winton :P

JP

Amen to that, may that tincan RIP once I salvage what I can from her lol. Still have that Cressida lip hanging around, might be up for grabs once the carbon lip's finally finished (read:I get around to it)

Edited by carbonboy

I'm still after a cressida lip and front bar and also a cage for her.

Anyway i have an up date. Block has been honed and pistons have been cleaned up and rings fitted, unfortunately waiting on bearings as I was sold the wrong ones :(

Got wheels too :)

post-2153-029061100 1297149390_thumb.jpg

Edited by 78_7kRolla

Nice work :)

Don't worry about the FWD haters.. the Detomato is massively entertaining through the twisty stuff thanks to lift off/left foot braking oversteer. I have no doubt that the tincan will be the same.

I remember when these were brand new, Wheels or Motor magazine had one as a long term project they used for some limited club racing. I remember them turning the strut tops one way or another to give them more caster. Made a significant difference to the handling, with only a little more steering effort.

I'm still after a cressida lip and front bar and also a cage for her.

Anyway i have an up date. Block has been honed and pistons have been cleaned up and rings fitted, unfortunately waiting on bearings as I was sold the wrong ones :(

Got wheels too :)

post-2153-029061100 1297149390_thumb.jpg

lovin the nc

• 3 weeks later...

Update from yesterday.

Bottom end is all done, basically gear has been all ready to go back together but waiting on a coolant pipe that runs at the back of the block under the head. So I bought another whole tincan for this piece and the housing where the top radiator hose goes to. Also re-painted the centers of my wheels black and other bits and pieces like rocker covers and heat shields etc. parts washed the intake manifold and t-vis manifold too.

Here are some pics.

post-2153-035033200 1298624152_thumb.jpg

post-2153-051957500 1298624347_thumb.jpg

post-2153-055215300 1298624080_thumb.jpg

post-2153-061816500 1298624101_thumb.jpg

broken pipe :(

post-2153-005952600 1298624388_thumb.jpg

Today's progress.

Chucked the wheels on, and a bumper I got from carbonboy (still need to paint this and get a lip). Then ended up getting the oxy out an fixing the housing and coolant pipe so I could chuck on and tension the head up. Did that and fitted the T-VIS system and intake manifold. Go back on monday re-tension the head up and then start with assembly of the rest of the motor (and will have another working car as a real life instruction manual!).

post-2153-045063500 1298625929_thumb.jpg

post-2153-047377200 1298625912_thumb.jpg

post-2153-036925800 1298625962_thumb.jpg

Will have it running next week :)