Brodie's Ke30 2Door - Supercharged, Intercooled, Megasquirt, C.o.p

brodie

Members dont see this ad

Smithius: You mean you don't have the MS in yet? Thought that'd be in there by now! Happy to help with your wiring if you need it.....

doityourself: Hven't looked into the ca18 CAS, but would be very, very surprised if it didn't... there's not much you can't trigger it with. Given that theres a large nissan ca18 & sr20 following with these, info should be easy to come by.

On a different note, finished my dizzy cover today. I love the array of PVC fittings at the local hardware store!

Have realised that there's a lot of bits that I havent posted photos of, including the intercooler, so will have to post some soon!

• Upvote 1

http://www.diyautotune.com/cars/customer/gary_hart_studebaker.htm

Have a suss at this.....

With the megasquirt you can do boost control, antilag, launch control, nitrous, I'm sure you can do traction control with the correct sensors, you can do everything the top end ecu's can do for a fraction of the cost, you just need the understanding of how to do it, which Brodie has. After seeing and going for a ride in his car, and seeing how well it runs and drives, convinced me to go megasquirt for my project. This thing runs way to good to be a 30+ year old 3k.

http://www.diyautotu..._studebaker.htm

Have a suss at this.....

With the megasquirt you can do boost control, antilag, launch control, nitrous, I'm sure you can do traction control with the correct sensors, you can do everything the top end ecu's can do for a fraction of the cost, you just need the understanding of how to do it, which Brodie has. After seeing and going for a ride in his car, and seeing how well it runs and drives, convinced me to go megasquirt for my project. This thing runs way to good to be a 30+ year old 3k.

Amen to that!

When it was just an atmo 3K, it went so much better than anything else, It was hard to believe it was a 30yr old 3K with blowby!

Aww shucks... Thanks for the kind words guys!

Took the car for a nice long run this morning too, and its only about 10 degrees here. Once the charger body warms up its pretty common to see just over 9lbs at the manifold. COPs proved themselves well, AFRs are far more stable than previously.

The megasquirt can be as basic or as advanced as you want it to be, if you have the understanding. If you're looking for a plug&play solution though, look elsewhere. I spent at least 9 months of researching before I embarked on it, but was after an in-depth project and am extremely happy with the results.

Basic? I've plenty of room for expansion, but am currently controlling with the 'squirt:

-4 injectors, in 2 batches of two

-Radiator fan, runs based on coolant and intake air temp (to cool intercooler)

-Alternator, reduces engine load on hard accel over 1800 rpm, by dropping charge to 12.4 volts

-2 EDIS modules for COP ignition, full control over advance/retard

-Wideband oxygen sensor feedback in full closed-loop system, will log with laptop attached too

-PWM idle control on 7ke throttlebody

-Throttle bypass valve on secondary throttlebody infront of charger, opens when cold or more air required

-Check engine light

-Shift light

-Rev limiter

-Fuel pumps

-Controls cranking for keyless ignition

-Self tunes from oxygen sensor and burns to flash memory

...And probably lots more I've forgotten... I'm only using MS2 as well, which was the best I could get in 2007. MS3 adds lots and lots of other goodies, including on-board SD card logging and sequential injection.

It's only limited by your ability to research and implement, buit if well tuned is comparable in performance to any name-brand ECU. Mine drives well, considering I have had no dyno time, it's all been on-road tuned.

Took some pics, as promised, which may be of some interest...

post-1803-0-36602200-1338089426_thumb.jpg

This shows the intercooler, believed to be a colorado/dmax item, between the grille and radiator.

post-1803-0-15896400-1338089477_thumb.jpg

Radiator has been remounted about an inch higher, be redrilling it's mounting ears, to allow 2" intercooler pipes to pass neatly underneath. NOTHING was cut on the car.

post-1803-0-10364800-1338089516_thumb.jpg

Finished dizzy cap arrangement. Old dizzy has been cut down. Still need to neaten up the boots of the COPs though, will get to that with some sikoflex one day.

post-1803-0-78127500-1338089551_thumb.jpg

This shows the secondary throttle body, which sits under the airbox & in front of the charger. These days its paralleled with the pedal, rather than the vacuum-controlled arrangement I once had. It keeps things much much quieter. Note the large cylinder on the front of it, that's the bypass which is controlled by Megasquirt.

post-1803-0-14364700-1338089588_thumb.jpg

Current engine bay pic.

• Upvote 1

• 6 years later...