Robbie Butler -'79 Drag News

GJM85

Yeh that's at Collingrove TOM. Cool car, I didn't see it running as the guy was packing it up to take home because it was raining. These elfins probably weigh in at 500kg with driver, so 10's could be possible.

Just looked on my105.com and there's a couple for sale in the 20k realm but not complete!!!

It wouldn't be out of this world to build a 5K to get into the 13's. Big ports, big cam, bored out 100thou and a shitload of compression running octane booster.

Members dont see this ad

Pretty cool, Looking at what they knew with head development back then, these days if you where

crazy enough you could probally do better i would have thought .The car runs 94mph, so it makes so where between 80-90rwkw

Pretty awesome. Whats the most people have made here?. I know when i spoke to the elfin/open wheeler races over 10yrs ago out at mallala they said there motors where making 75ish rwkw, but revs where around the 8500rpm ish mark from memory.

Wonder how much lift and duration that tighe cam has..lol

cheers

darren

• 7 months later...

Robbie is still very much alive and still into drag racing with Toyota running through his blood. I'm his son Garreth Butler. That is one definetly for the memory banks and has all these memories tucked away in a special folder of TOKYO TOUGH! Thank god he doesnt have the chops or mullet anymore! Cheers for the find guys!

• Upvote 2

Great read! 13's from a na K series is nuts, would love to know the specs of formula 3 head and tighe cam. It was daily driven during the early years too...

Garreth; do you happen to know if your father still has this car? it would be something special to see let alone hear.

Crowie the Corolla motor was pulled out, car back to street trim and driven around till the mid 80's. Dad sold the Car around 1985 and sadly shortly after that it was ridden off, completley totalled. But the motor itself was only sold 5 years ago, all the info and memories are still there he could turn around tomorrow and do the same again!

Edited by ARE57

wow..! huge thankyou for going to the trouble of scanning and upping this mate..!

My uncle who got me into Corolla's, was good mates with him.

he had a couple nice 'Rollas(street registered, hotties) from memory

once again, nice one mate, thanks

Very nice find indeed.

Would Robbie still be around?

How cool would it be to get some of the old nastalga, the stories and the info Robbie must have in his head.

I would love to know the reaction of the v8 and six cylinder drivers to the mighty rolla.

How many chicks did he pull using the power of the rolla and mo combo?

This is a guy to invite on a cruse. Maybe a cruse to the drags and then he could sit shotgun in a KE10?

Thats if he,s still kicking.

yeah mate. he still runs Butler's Toyota Mechanic section from memory?

His daughter(Teagan) went to school with my wife, too.

I might try get in contact with him and see if he can post here :-)

Robbie is still very much alive and still into drag racing with Toyota running through his blood. I'm his son Garreth Butler. That is one definetly for the memory banks and has all these memories tucked away in a special folder of TOKYO TOUGH! Thank god he doesnt have the chops or mullet anymore! Cheers for the find guys!

and LOL, i will learn to read the whole thread b4 posting...

awesome mate, you could def ask him to post/advise here.

what an honor

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey Guys

I remember all of this news from when i worked at Butlers Toyota, Toowoomba. Robbie was an owner along with his brother and a third person (Names i know). I heard that it ran 12.7 with fuel injection but sounds a bit far fetched, although 13's is good. I bought the Carbies of one of the mechanics, who bought them from Robbie. I never got to use them but had done a sweet little KE25 up when i was in my early twenties, late teens. The front carbies venturies were 38's and the rear were 34's. I just sold these the other day to a guy from South Australia. Many problems over the years forced me to let my little pride and joy turn to trash. I was once going to build a good engine and a mechanic from the BMW side recommended a cam of 41/70.

Robbie used to race in off road, when i worked at Toyota. He raced a bombed Land Cruiser Ute. The mullet was the go even in the early 90's when i was there :yes: . Anyway i have a couple pics for ya, of the Carbies, how they were today (Hardly used, just old) and of my little ride, back in the day. I have recently sold it all to a guy who is going to ressurect her. He just told me that the engine still ran after sitting for over ten years. The mechanic who built it was a superb mechanic who worked for Toyota for 25 years when i was there-so knew the in's and out's of these engines. The engine itself is more then 20 years old from rebuild and as far as i know, does not blow oil or smoke and i thought i cooked it in traffic, that is why it sat!!!

post-18884-0-82239800-1374555293_thumb.jpg

post-18884-0-81942200-1374555336_thumb.jpg

post-18884-0-13451100-1374555458_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Very nice find!, cmon guys yas don't honestly think this little critta was full of forged this and holden this n datsun this, do yas? it was probably only,

a ten year old car in 79, so it would of been like boltin goodies onto a late model car ( other than the head and machine work) great ingenuity and ,

general mechanical nouse will get the k series screamin! and why is 9500 rpm so unbeleivable? i doubt this fella grout filled and sleeved the block,

so it didnt snap in half at 7000 LMAO

• Nah! It was only a light car to begin, 500k or so. It is all in the headwork. I had my 25 up to 170km with auto (2 speed toyoglide) diff and corolla 5 speed box. It had little work done. Also goes on driver skills as well. He was a talented driver thats for sure. Just by fitting a thermo, gave it more horses. Upgrading the electricals a little adds a little extra.

Be good to see a video of her screaming down the track. I heard it sounded like a swarm of bees going down the track and took off in 3rd, finished in 3rd, wheel standing off the line. 7000 revs isn't much! Mine used to at least reach 7500-and i had mild work. It is all in the mechanic as well. Can't run pooly aligned machinery at high revs and expect top fuel dragster speeds without breaking.