My Ke70 Weekend Play Thing

snot35

Started on the wiring.

I hate it so far! :) But it's not really going that badly, I've got an idea of where everything is going to go. I have an AE86 Kouki engine bay loom, so I'm in the process of auditing what I have so I can splice it into the loom under the dash. I'd like to reconcile of much of it as I can, it seems my car has power on both sides of the bay to the coil as well as all the starter and alternator stuff. I'll take out as much of that as I can and probably move the relays to inside the car if I can.

I jumped under the car to try and plug in the reverse light switch and found that I have some oil seepage from the gearbox.

Poop!

I remember now, I don't think I put a gasket between the box and bell housing when I swapped them over. I'm pretty annoyed about that. I might leave it for a bit and keep an eye on it. Can't be bothered pulling the box just yet.

I'm leaning back towards doing an 8mm feed pipe and working out how to put the factory filter in the bay. It's just the tidiest solution with the least number of joins and fittings. More labour, but I think it will be cheaper because I won't have to buy fittings. Not to mention better.

I also managed to bend up a new brake line, but that still leaks.

And I noticed a leak on the clutch slave.

I'm in a bit of a "F this car" phase, but I'll pull through.

Oh, dash is mostly back in and I've reassembled the column. I'm trying to clear out all the stuff I've just stored in the car that's related to the project. Now that I'm trying to sort wiring, I'm going to need the space.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Banked some XT130 struts yesterday. They were pretty cheap and came with slotted rotors and EBC Green pads.

Once we're up and running they'll get turned into coil overs. I managed to grab a sleeve kit cheaply too, assuming Australia Post can find them (f&*K)!!

Yeah, it looks fairly straight forward, so I'm not too worried. I might do a little more than I have to, just so there aren't too many superfluous wires around the place.

Diff will be awesome, but is a little way away, probably later next year if I'm honest. I'll probably run the 4.3 locked borg for a while. It's got a noisy bearing though, so that may not last too long behind the 4AGE.

I had a bit of a look at the XT130 struts tonight. God they have big brakes! I'm going to put them on the scales I think and compare them to the TE72 struts. Given I've never run out of brakes, I'm not sure how much I want to add a heap of un sprung weight to the car for now. I did find that there are Wilwood calipers that bolt up while trawling the forums here. I'm just trying to work out what discs were required. It was for a 20mm vented disc so I might be better off saving up and doing that with them further down the track. The Wilwoods are 1.5 kg vs 4.5 for the Sumitomos....

Oh, and Aust post found my coil over sleeves. What a saga!

Dash is back in, so I sat in it and made brumming noises. Not too much has changed, the shifter is mostly in the right spot. I'd like to move my seat back, but if I do that I'll definitely need a shifter extension of some sort.

I also printed out wiring diagrams for the KE70 and AE86. Some of the wiring colours on the body plug are different to what I have, but I've identified them all and am pretty happy that I understand what's going on. I'm going to diagram what is going on and then get the old man to check it after. He's an ex electronics tech and pretty pragmatic so that will make me feel more comfortable.

If I let the magic smoke out I'd be very, very unhappy!

Yeah, losing the smoke terrified me! When I first drove the 4AGE I threw in a fire extinguisher to threaten it.

I had a bit of a look at the XT130 struts tonight. God they have big brakes! I'm going to put them on the scales I think and compare them to the TE72 struts. Given I've never run out of brakes, I'm not sure how much I want to add a heap of un sprung weight to the car for now.

Those weights would be interesting. The unsprung weight seems to get overlooked in a lot of conversions, and it changes the feel of the car a lot.

Nothing off a fwd look like fitting?? The Suzukis and Mirages have small ventilated discs, but I haven't really chased it up since we put the rally car on hold.

post-7544-0-05851500-1463711294_thumb.jpg

post-7544-0-89531000-1463711303_thumb.jpg

Well the caliper is designed for a 12.7mm disc, so I'd have to juggle all that. I guess it would be possible to make spacers to make the caliper wider, but I get the idea that that's generally frowned upon. I searched through a brake rotor catalogue and found a heap of discs that could be made to work, some almost perfect in size.

Given there are already big slotted rotors on there with decent pads I'll probably use them to start with and worry about it later. It's a project far down the track! I did measure up to see if I could use my current springs with them. It might work OK, not sure what it will do to the height. I might muck around with that after she's running.

While I have you altezza, those springs you put in the back of the rally car, that was in the Celica wasn't it?

I grabbed some from the AE82 Seca I wrecked and they don't fit. I think the bottom out tower in the Celica is probably narrower.

Edited by snot35

Did a little last night. Removed the seat and stuff I'm storing in the car to make the wiring easier.

Did a few traces on the AE86 loom to identify everything.

God I hate wiring. I'm not sure why, I've barely done anything, I'm just not enthused by it.

I'll press on.

• 2 weeks later...

Whole family has had colds, so that took out two weeks. We're all over it now pretty much, but it's cold, so I've been wussing out!

I have printed and taped together and AE86 wiring diagram and spent a few hours developing a plan of how I'm going to tackle it. Fortunately a reasonable amount of stuff plugs in and I was smart enough to grab the COR with plug and wiring, along with the body plug for the ECU.

The plan is to put as much as I can through the AE86 loom as the old KE70 loom was pretty damaged. All the reversing connectors had been torn off and it only provides connectors for the oil switch and temp sensor. All the power etc is over the other side of the bay anyway, so it will be tidier to use the AE86 setup. The only thing that won't really line up properly is the washer bottle power. I'd like to put a washer bottle in the AE86 spot I think, but it needs to tuck in pretty well as it's going to get pretty hot over there.

The AE86 loom seems to plug into the starter wire and has coil power etc, so I just need to adapt it in the car with some relays.

Sounds simple enough :)

While I have you altezza, those springs you put in the back of the rally car, that was in the Celica wasn't it?

I grabbed some from the AE82 Seca I wrecked and they don't fit. I think the bottom out tower in the Celica is probably narrower.

Yes, it was. Those little springs were the only ones I could find of a large enough diameter, and even then we ran them upside down so they fitted as best we could. They will fit the KE70 vaguely, but the inner diameter is a mm or so smaller than the diff spring mount I think.

I still haven't drawn up a full wiring diagram of what I did and now I probably won't remember it all... I swapped The Girls 4AGE KE70 for the Golden Girl with its 4K yesterday and the difference was instant. No power of course, but lighter in the steering, clutch and gearbox, so quite different to drive.

The ones I have must be different. They are tapered, the larger end fits the diff nicely but then fouls on the bottom out bumper tower. Turn them over and the smaller end won't fit on the diff perch. I'm going to have to search some wreckers.

I'm going to be difficult and do my wiring completely differently! I've found where to get my ignition power and constant 12V, there's a plug in the driver's side kick panel that runs wires down the right side rail to where the coil was for the 4K. I'd like to replace that plug and make my own mini harness, but I'm not sure where everything goes just yet. The white 12V wire keeps going all the way around the front of the car into the fuse box!

There seem to be so many redundant wires in a KE70. The only other main one I need to work out is the starter signal.

That actually makes a lot of sense! Why didn't I think of that? :)

So the family car blew the clutch today, which was awesome! I'd just dropped off the kids, changed from first to second and let out the clutch. "Clunk" it went, and there was no drive what so ever. I was trying to go up hill, so that was that. Did a bit of diagnosis and figured that it was the clutch. The road service guy confirmed it and then I got a tow to the local mechanic.

It's going to cost quite a bit.

But it made me take the day off work so I got a few bits done including some cars stuff.

Got some relays and another mounting block, so I very nearly have everything I need for the electrics. Also ordered some different dies for my ratcheting crimper so I'll be able to do some good joints on the wiring.

I also did a wrecker run and picked up a plug and some tails for the alternator and the right nut for the bottom of the fuel filter. The u pullit didn't have any twin cams so I took a punt with a plug from a Camry and nut from a ST202 Celica. Both worked! It also makes me wonder if the Camry might have an upgraded alternator that will fit? It looked identical to the 4AGE unit.

I also chopped the dud muffler off of the exhaust system. The new muffler lines up nicely so I'll zap that together some time soon.

Edited by snot35

New muffler welded on. It sits in place nicely, but I'm not happy with the welding that I did. I removed the hanger from the old muffler and that went on nicely, but the pipe join is a bit rough. I might tidy it up, I haven't decided. At the moment I can't work out what I did with the exhaust gaskets, so it will have to come off again at some stage anyway.

I also did a bit more wiring. the CORS and ECU plug are now connected to a terminal strip to I can prototype everything and get it all in the right spot. Turns out the ratchet crimper I have doesn't have the right jaws at the moment, so I ordered some designed to do the joints that I want. I'm also out of spade terminals for prototyping the relay connections, so I'll pick some of those up today. The aim is to get it all together with my dodgy crimpers and test it while I'm waiting for the new crimper jaws. When they show up I should be able to finalise the wiring.

Oh, plus, I took the heater core in for fixing. It was leaky. I asked them to turn one of the pipes so that they both pointed in the same direction, so I could then use the AE86 pipes I have. Went to pick it up, they forgot and just fixed it. That pushed that back a few days. No big deal, but I was hoping to use my procrastination on the wiring to get some other jobs done :)

Edited by snot35