My Ke70 Weekend Play Thing

snot35

Heater core is back and looking good.

Started unwrapping the loom that goes in the driver's side guard. Still trying to decide if that is a good idea or not :D It does give me everything I need though, so I've got a pretty good idea of where everything is going to go know with the exception of the wiring for the alternator. I know where I'm going to run it, just haven't finalised how it will be wired. Still progressing though.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it was easiest to run alty wires under the rad to the original wiring on the passenger's side. An extra one goes up to the COR relay box just above the alty, and the electric fan wires come out of the same loom.

I'm using a Camry plug on my alty too, also that odd plug on the ECU.

I had to run a few wires down that driver's guard but I didn't put them in the loom. That will be much neater.

• 1 month later...

Wow, I thought it was longer since I touched this thing, but only a bit over a month!

Life has been flat chat, job change, blah blah, too f'ing cold in the shed. The shed has developed a leak too which isn't ideal. I had the seat out of the car so I could get in and do wiring and it ended up soaked which didn't make me happy. Night in front of the combustion heater sorted that.

Been racing the MTB too so had some maintenance and upgrades to do there.

But on to the car. Got out last night and tidied the shed so I had a decent work space. I teased out the wiring I wanted from the drivers side and re routed that over to the passenger's side where all the relays will go. It's looking reasonably tidy which makes me happy.

I also managed to pick up JDM AE86 washer and overflow bottles, which also makes me happy :) So I'll use the washer wiring in the AE86 loom and have a decent space for the air filter. At some stage I'll make a cold air box in that front driver's corner.

Got a gearbox gasket kit on the way from Japan too. The plan is to get it moving and then drive it up onto the ramps so I can get it out, do the gaskets and then put it back in.

Yeah, I've got both KE70s on electric fans now.

Tridon thermoswitch in a DirtDevilRacing inline radiator hose fitting. That earths out a relay that fires up the fan. One has an 85deg switch (too low) and one has a 90deg switch. (which is fine) One has a dash LED that comes on when the fan is running just so I know, although you can hear them when waiting for the lights to change.

• 4 months later...

So, this runs! Life has been insane, but now I need to rip down the shed around it so it has to move or there will be dramas.

It actually came together fairly easily. I'm only running a temporary wiring for the moment. I wanted to run it all first to work out how it would fit together before doing proper wiring and using nicer connectors. My wiring came together well. I only fried one wire of my own making when I hooked up a relay in the same fashion as a Toyota relay and internally they were different. Easily fixed and fortunately I didn't kill anything else.

I was a little worried about it not working, I'm using the AE86 loom I have along with an AE86 dizzy which I hadn't used before, so there were some unknown quantities. I turned it over and got some back firing, so I knew ignition was OK. Then I remembered I'd only put the dizzy in for show, not for go. Corrected that, hit it, and we're away! It's very loud though, I may need to do something about that, not sure.

Unfortunately I was having the floating idle problem. A quick google told me one of the first things to do is check the coolant level. I did, there wasn't enough. Then I found the leak. Damn it!

I decided to use the RWD water pump I had, because RWD, but I think the seals have dried up and it's not water tight. I've ordered a new FWD version and I'll just use that, I'm going to run thermos anyway.

I have to say though, it's nice and easy getting the water pump off on a RWD car! I'd forgotten how nice it is to work on them.

So for now, panels are on, the tailshaft is in. I just need to put the pump on and the steering wheel and we should be OK to move it around.

Edited by snot35

Yeah, might take some chasing. Pump is fixed but the problem remains. This is an untested throttle body so I'll put on the other that I know is ok and see how that goes. But, it's outside! Has only taken 4 years ???? So I've discovered that the flex in my exhaust leaks, and my driveway is steep enough for fuel to come out of the line when parked on the slope!

post-3479-0-18603400-1482024467_thumb.jpg

post-3479-0-33189200-1482024525_thumb.jpg