'67 Ke10

Jono.C

Got a tip for you

My corolla's bumpers had been sitting in weather for months if not years, they'd gone flat and had a bit of surface rust.

Before you invest in re-chroming

Give them a good wash, and give them a once over with some cutting compound. You would not believe the difference.

Unfortunately i didn't take a before hand photo, but i will have an 'after' photo up soon.

Bar a few tiny little chips they look amazing.

It's worth a try.

Cheers!

Members dont see this ad

This is the result from a short time spent with a rag and some cutting compound.

No more crappy black paint.

post-9662-063025800 1300705450_thumb.jpg

Also, picked up this manual off ebay a few months back, printed date is '68. Very useful, if you see one, buy it.

post-9662-003268900 1300705560_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jono.C

Nah, should be right, you can wipe the cutting compound off with petrol or similar if you feel the need to, still looks the same.

Had a scope and measure up of the 2 corolla crossmembers

post-9662-035868800 1300752053_thumb.jpg

The measurement from middle of each hole (as indicated with the white lines) on a ke20 is 135mm, on a ke10 is 100mm.

So i'll have to redrill 2 or maybe all 4 of the holes.

The reason i say 4 is i noticed on the otherside of the holes the is a plate which i presume is or strength which has a raised up section right next to here i need to drill.

So if i drilled there i couldn't bolt it on properly.

I might have to heat it up and flatten that bit down.

We'll see.

Jono

Curious to see now several members are deciding to switch front ends

Have a 3tgte lined up for this, will grab it next week if all goes to plan.

Then i'll switch in the new front end, start fab'ing mounts and try and get it sprayed before the weather gets any worse :/

• 2 weeks later...

Getting rather sick of the weather, found a long strip of rust on the rear gutter so i ground it all day, went to get out the grinder and it starts raining >|

Missed out on a 20v 4age for this which i'm not too pleased about but i've tracked down a 16v which might find it's way here ;)

Cheers, Jono

Wouldn't have been able to enjoy much progress today either bro, weather is bonkers here atm. Good for slideage though :dance:

Saw a clean ke10 for sale a few months ago. They're great cars man hold on to her. Might see me sliding around Hobart sometime, my daily is a ke55 on jellybeans, with the passenger guard in primer and a "JDM as f*ck" sticker, can't miss it. Can't wait to see this on the road!

yeah i've seen your ke55 :P had a laugh at the jdm as fark sticker :P hahah

I haven't gone too far with the front end as yet as i'll be rego'ing the car factory then doing all the modifications.

Yeah i was contemplating ae86 struts but they're heavily over priced for what they are compared to ra60 struts.

Looks as though i'll be using ra60 or t18 which t18's are the same as ae86 pretty much anyway.

Hardest bit will be all the alignment, especially making the brackets to put the rack on

• 2 weeks later...

So today i started working on getting the Ke20 engine crossmember in. Not as simple as it may seem.

You need to redrill atleast 2 of the holes, except you can't! because toyota put a rasied up strengthening bar right where you need the hole (omg lame)

So, out comes mr grinder.

Relief cut to allow it to be flattened

post-9662-008863800 1303545723_thumb.jpg

Press flatened and surrounding metal hammered down to allow for easier/ cleaner welding

post-9662-019703500 1303545861_thumb.jpg

Edges welded together and ground smooth

post-9662-023011200 1303545948_thumb.jpg

Sprayed black for neatness and or filthness (omg, hektik)

post-9662-047998400 1303546014_thumb.jpg

Next up is holes being drilled.

As this comes up in question i'll be doing this step by step in my build thread as well as maybe a faq thread if people think it's worth it

Edited by Jono.C