Ke38 Van For My Daughter

teza40

Members dont see this ad

Looks pretty tidy there I hope the taillight made it to you in once piece :)

Hi ya,

Thankyou and yes,tailight made it to me in PERFECT condition, love new old stock parts :)...is wayyyyyy to good to leave on the car

with emma driving it i feel.So she was told it goes on for the safety certificate..then comes off as a spare...the old one goes back on..

Got me looking for a n.o.s left one now lol...

Cheers

Terry

Well was pretty much a no go working on ke38 on friday...and Australia day was a lazy one spent some quality time with my other half (Karen)...

Did manage to get the back seat cover (cut n shut/sew it to fit nice) all done and seat fitted friday,wheel hump will be covered i hope with carpet -

Messed about more with pesky rego light lamps,after much stuffing about!

Turns out it was a bad globe from what i can figure... :hmm:

Saturday morning seen me take a drive in the rain to corollandy`s place for the muffler/pipe and some other bits.

Saturday evening seen me not able to stay away from under the house,found and fitted the bonnet and fender chrome on the front.Grill cleaned up and temporarily fitted for the pics..still going to take the headlight grilles off that i made many moons ago.. just so Emma don't have attention drawn to herself..

Ahhh the bonnet..yes number one botched attempt at something a bit fancy...to be continued..

Enjoy pics

post-2215-0-51502900-1359201298_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-92559400-1359201519_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-96255100-1359201547_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-67853600-1359201570_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-18034400-1359201600_thumb.jpg

Thankyou guys :)

I did this conversion to the grille to make it similar to the late 60`s camaro (1967).

Although i really like it and think it is such a cool custom trick,i had always worried about Qld law (police) taking

a DISLIKE to it and causing greif!!!!!!!!!!

As they could argue it affects the headlights full function of shinning light onto the road effectively,which isnt the case!

We all know how the police are towards P platers wether red or green,they are unfortunately targeted more frequently for random

Liecence and breatho test`s etc...

So with that in mind,the only reason`s the headlight grilles are coming off....

1, go through safety certificate for registration

2, lessen the likely hood of Emma being pinged for them..

don't worry they are easy to remove and refit at anytime....two screws on one side and zip ties the other :) :)

I made use of a stuffed ke38 update grill...didnt hack a good one......

Cheers

Terry

It's really got me thinking actually! I was just gonna go down the quadlights path but this is such a better idea!

I might scour a wrecker and then take the bits to a plastic welder. there's a guy on the forums here who does that, I wonder where he's located..

Well good thing it wasnt a nice day in brisvegas today!!!!!!!!!11

Just pretty much wasted the day in trying to sort out the use of gas struts on the tailgate,i had a pair (one is now buggered,leaked it`s insides) of short reach gas struts from a diahatsu appluase we wrecked out years ago.

The first attempt was a fail due to the fact they don't have the required reach to take the tailgate high enough.the second way/attempt is not a total fail but isnt with it`s problems either,i made a 3mm thick (approx) bracket from steel plate.

has a 90 degree bend whic attached with holes drilled to the rubber bump stop for tailgate (on inside near the hinge),to this i attached the end of strut with plate/bracket with two holes (originally bolted to the rain drain channel of the appluase).The ball/pivot end was attached to the inside of tailgate panel,the screw thread bolted into a threaded plate which i made and ground a slot in the side of tailgate frame to insert it.

That in itself is fairly solid set up and works to a point..the bracket bolted to the rubber bump stop seems to need to move (pivot) as the tailgate is closing.It falls short of closing fully without an extra push that shouldnt be required...possibly a longe gas strut is required and possibly a different attached position........

So pretty much at times a frustrating waste of time along with using the grey matter to try n nut this out...lol...

ahhh well......the fun of doing something that the system was never meant for...

Back at work now,which slows progress on ke38 down,too old for physical hard slogg these days it seems...

Whilst the success of sorting out this tailgate delema alludes me still (hinges are really past it me thinks) and I'm certian i will need longer gas lift struts than what i have (just seem to be butcherin my good work :().

I have still been plugging away with small successe`s, hole welded up in replacement rear exhaust pipe/muffler - wiper blades n arms fitted- found the little plastic support for the airiel on the pillar n fitted :),along with the front door cards now made and ready to cover in black panne velvet....

Still a host of little annoying things to redo and do.......

Enjoy the pic

Teza40

post-2215-0-35553700-1359604862_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-72836700-1359604930_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-12823000-1359604965_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-21978200-1359604978_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-97306800-1359604993_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-87032300-1359605020_thumb.jpg

Edited by teza40

Well now///there ya go !!!!

Funny the things you find out when you have the time to look around on here at different threads.....So it seems that with the ke70 van/wagon.

Toyota changed the tailgate hinge system and added gas lift strut of a fairly long length/throw....

correct or not ?????

If this is the case..wondering/considering doing ke70 hinges that sit in the top of the rain channel and pissing off those antiquated ke30 series hinges from inside the rear outer edges of the cargo area!!

Also looks like i was right with my location for mounting gas lift struts - just the ones i have are not long enough...Anyone on here have the closed and extend length measurements of gas lift struts used on ke70 ????

Cheers

Teza40

If this is the case..wondering/considering doing ke70 hinges that sit in the top of the rain channel and pissing off those antiquated ke30 series hinges from inside the rear outer edges of the cargo area!!

Well nice idea..and a big one..but meh gonna give that a miss!!!!!!!!!!! after looking it over,i don't reckon there is enough room or able enough to get the height required to have tailgate not rub on roof....damn it!

Current status on gas strut conversion.......OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!.....hugely over it...looks like will get another good set of hinges and go back to original torssion rods system..hope i can get the plastic bushes for the system.

Spotted this morning a white ke36 windowed panlevan at strathpine westfield carpark (learmonth st side)...original black n white rego plates...sorry no pics..they didnt save to my phone :(...

Despite all ensuring depression over the tailgate,i managed to get the mags on rear repainted with some gloss black and small toyota centre caps to fill the hole....

post-2215-0-78926800-1359880949_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-26353400-1359880996_thumb.jpg