Bigger Wheels On Ke55

KE55EVO

what are the widest wheels i can put on a ke55 sedan i am hoping to get 8inch wide under it if i can't i am going to tub it any info will help also does anyone know where i can get info on that orange ke55 (NSW car) with it looks like it has been tubed also i would love to be able to find some info on his build

Cheers Matt

Members dont see this ad
big rims on small cars are perfect to show off yah brakes "hey everyone look at my tiny brakes!"

max id go is 15's any bigger youll look like a tool unless its done mungi mod style

big rims only suit gemini's

Edited by Evan G

Same. The only reason i'd go to a 15" is cause of the cheaper tires that are also easier to find.

18's on a ke55 and you'll look like an id107

And the other thing is that you'll look even more like an id107 if you hit a pot hole in the road that you didn't see

Or having to creep over the bumps and other crap on the road cause you don't have the working suspension cause of the wank-factor rims.

hey moot what size wheels were the 245 15,16,17 etc did ya have to do ant body work etc

Cheers Matt

they were 15's and i just had the guards rolled.the wheels were custom offsey simmons though...

i'll go for 18's next time.people seem to think that a bigger sidewall cushions more bumps in the road,this might be true if you run 8 psi in your tyres :laff: but otherwise its a big load of bs,thats what suspension is for :lolcry:

You can run 8's on the front and rear as long as offset is close to 0. rear guards may need to be pumped a little. If you're going to run 17's you need to make the rolling diameter as close as possible to a 15/195/65 tire as inner guards may rub depending on offset and your suspension setup.

I say go with what you want, it's your car. but if you are going down the 17's road make sure you test out all clearance issues before you put down some cash.

cheers

i'll go for 18's next time.people seem to think that a bigger sidewall cushions more bumps in the road,this might be true if you run 8 psi in your tyres :laff: but otherwise its a big load of bs,thats what suspension is for :lolcry:

Who told you that?? Go for a ride in a car with thin wall tyres on 18s, then go for a ride with 15s and you will notice the difference in the bumps.

The sidewalls do flex even when running 35 psi. When you hit a bump it is not a gradual flex but an instant one, yes a tyre is not designed to do

the work of the suspension but it does add to ride comfort. Also I hope you have a heavy wallet, tyres for 18s are just as expensive as race tyres

for 15/16 inch rims. Oh and did I mention that 18s are illegal on KE55s? I think you can legaly go to 16 inch rims.

Who told you that?? Go for a ride in a car with thin wall tyres on 18s, then go for a ride with 15s and you will notice the difference in the bumps.

The sidewalls do flex even when running 35 psi. When you hit a bump it is not a gradual flex but an instant one, yes a tyre is not designed to do

the work of the suspension but it does add to ride comfort.

:hmm: yes who told you that ?

If it was just solely up to the suspension to do the work of keeping the sprung weight off the ground, the rims would only have either the rubber painted on or solid rubber wheels.

Should take more notice of what the tire does and how it performs in use.

You can see sidewall flex from pictures and video of race cars taking corners.

There will be some sidewall flex with carrying a load.

The same can also be said of planting the foot when you take off from the lights.

And for the visual experience, jam a tire into a straight edge gutter and watch the tire wall flex to cushion the blow and try to ride up the edge long before the springs (leaves might have a better chance) will even think of taking the blow.

Where do you think buckled, damaged and bent rims come from ?

8 psi is mostly used on dragcars for the extra grip when launching and the "gearing change" when the tire is at speed. About the only other type of vehicle that might come close to that pressure would be a competition off-roader (eg rockcrawler), about 15 psi. But even then you'll be running the risk of the tire coming off the rim unless it was beadlocked. The reason for it is so that the sidewall of the tire will help the tire to mould around the obstacle and keep traction. Pretty will much every topend comp crawler won't even run springs in their rigs, just extended length shock absorbers and the tires do the work of the springs.

All in all, apart from the wank factor the only thing that might be gained is lighter unspung mass, maybe. And maybe a higher topend speed, that'll be about the only performance gain.

But if its what you want, go for it :jamie:

and to summarise, yes tyre walls deflect:

http://www.tireguytogo.com/images/bent_rim-1.jpg

this is a good photo that goes it as well. ugly car, but check the drivers side front wheel.

http://www.stowaway.us/gallery/d/972-2/srt4.jpg

the only way to tell if huge wheels will fit your car is to try some on!

18x8 id say will be pushing it....upside is you will increase your ground clearance 10 fold.

do you guys realise how hard you need to push a tyre to deform? you certainly wont do it easily on the street with a road tyre.

8 psi was a tonuge in cheek comment,i'm well aware of deforming a tyre on 4wd's (we won the nissan trials a few years ago.we used to run 0 psi with beadlocks)

and as for who told me this? well no one.its just what you learn after building heaps of cars and being involved in motorsport over 20 years :)

The reason for it is so that the sidewall of the tire will help the tire to mould around the obstacle and keep traction. Pretty will much every topend comp crawler won't even run springs in their rigs, just extended length shock absorbers and the tires do the work of the springs.

i think you may be a little confused :yes:

All in all, apart from the wank factor the only thing that might be gained is lighter unspung mass, maybe. And maybe a higher topend speed, that'll be about the only performance gain.

if the rolling diameter is the same,the top speeds will be the same.other advantages of a bigger rim with lower tyre profiles include,bigger brakes,less tyre squirm (side wall movement in conering)more rubber on the road for a given width(tyre face sits flatter),possibly lighter.