3K Or 4K Bore Pitch/ Spacing

Micksute

This is a stupid tangent but can you buy that sand mould stuff that manufacturers use to make parts from, cause if you could design the head and get the right parts cnc'd you could go down that road.....crazy stupid and expensive i know.....just a thought

Members dont see this ad

Sand casting is definitely the easiest option, if you have access to a cnc, you machine up the pattern. Or, even better, with the cost of 3d printing coming right down you could have a pattern printed. Even wax printed and investment cast wouldn't be out of the question.

Considering fitting a head to a different block requires relocating head bolts, water jacket ports, cam guides, oil feeds etc, and that's before you look at combustion chamber suitability, I still maintain the cast head is the easier option.

Hi Philbey

Water and Oil line up, just need a slight reshape. Cam and combustion (imagine you mean cc head and clearancing pistons rather than shape and squish)...always expected to have to do that. Also need to update oil pump to cope with likely more revs.

Which raises another question, anyone know how realiable the std crank is? What kind of revs can it handle?

Theoretically the bottom end is a little behind when it comes to a high revving reliable design. It only has a partially counter balanced crank and the block is not of a deep skirt design which means that ideally you would want some extra support for the bearing caps.

If you look at modern high revving reliable engines you'll find they have either a complete bearing cradle attached to the caps, or a cast sump that forms the bearing caps to completely secure the bottom end.

Other than that the K motors have pretty reasonable rods and bolts which is a definite plus. People seem to get away with big revs out of them, but they aren't really designed for it and longevity may be an issue.

ROFLMAO. Love it.

On a more serious note. Does anyone know where, or have available some CAD drawings of an existing twincam head? I have sourced some software to make relevant templates and have them made up, but I don't have a base design. Any help/direction appreciated.

On a more serious note. Does anyone know where, or have available some CAD drawings of an existing twincam head? I have sourced some software to make relevant templates and have them made up, but I don't have a base design. Any help/direction appreciated.

waggott made a twin cam head for a Holden six(from memory was a red motor) and also the KAD unit for early a series mini. You may be able to dig up some tech drawings on the net or try the mini or early Holden forums. My mates KAD head is off getting fixed but I'd be able to get a few pics for you when it's done.

I know they would probably be a bit iffy on passing on too much info but bullet cylinders heads make billet twin cam heads. They might be worth getting in contact with.

Stu.

waggot also made a four cylinder engine with a twin cam head too.

I can scratch up some old details in print, but can't find too much online...

img06179pj.jpg

found this too... wtf

twin4cyl.jpg

turns out from Lancia triflux 16v

Edited by TE278U