Ke20 Gearbox Trouble

well, i've the 1974 Corolla KE-20. Everything inside is still stock, with the 3K motor. the car's gearbox is totally screwed. its stuck on either gear 2 or 3. i cannot change gear. Clutch depressed, engine turned off, i cannot change gear. its not the first time this has happened. the last time it happened, my mechanic took the gearbox out and freed the gear. then it was back to normal again, but it happened again. i know this didn't happen because there was insufficient gear oil, because only 2 weeks before this happened, i changed the gear oil, and it was topped up to optimum level. among the symptoms before this happened was a sound from the gearbox was quite audible. sounded like chain being pulled thru a pulley. and this came up only in high revs. the car can still be driven now, but only in either gear 2 or 3. i can't shift to reverse too. i need help, has anyone faced this problem with the stock gearbox, and solutions for it?! change the gearbox? or can it be repaired? if repaired, what could be done? and if i'd have to change it, what would be the best 5 speed gearbox to fit in? and please explain everything i'd need to do. i have limited knowledge in this issue, and i'd need to make it legal too. the car will be going thru a Malaysian PUSPAKOM change of ownership check as soon as i get it done.

ps. i don't want to change the engine. i just love how it sounds!

Members dont see this ad

Ask the mechanic what the problem was last time, then pull the box apart and find out if it is that problem again.

If the selector fork or rod has either broken or jumped out it will be easy to find the problem. If you can fix the broken part easily then just do it, or if you have to buy a new part it will be cheaper to get a 2nd-hand box and keep yours for spares. If you've stripped teeth off a gear that's the end of the box.

The more you pull apart the more you learn!

thanks guys, all of you. its the same problem. and according to mechanic, we can't repair it.. it is the selector shaft. because i can't shift into any other gear right now.. thank you soo much for the link too.. i'll most probably want a 5 speed. thanks!

The KE70 gearbox has a different gear shifter position to the KE20 one, but it can be fitted?

You will have to cut the floor and cap/cover the old position, no good if you have centre console installed, you would be better getting a 5 speed from a KE35 or KE55 corolla, don’t have to modify anything just bolt in fit.

owh, that sucks. its quite hard to find a KE35 ~ Ke55 gearbox in Malaysia. i'll continue to search. thanks for the info buddy, i do have the centre console installed, and moving the shifter would spoil the fun in the car..

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers, took out the gearbox today, and we found that a cylindrical hollow tube, which is suppose to sit at the gearbox-driveshaft connection had worn out. this thing slides up, probably when braking, and jams the shifter. seems easy to fix, but the tube needs to be made custom, and the new one has to fit tight. we're getting that done. otherwise, the engine is running well, and we're changing the clutch plate.. the car will be back running very very soon. can't wait for that!