Ke38 Panelvan 'grace' Now With More Sr20!

caibs

so i spotted this panno sitting neglected at a petrol station, thought it was stolen and had been dumped. had a smashed window but looked like it was in decent condition so i left a note on it asking if they'd like to sell.

few weeks later, the owner got in contact with me and a deal was struck and i got it towed back to my mates place the next day where we started to clean it up.

to our surprise it came up exceptionally well. the back was full of jahova's witness propaganda and heaps of random shit. manky carpet and whatnot. it took a bit of work to get it running but it did run and drive quite well. the motor was a little smokey though, so i decided to pull it.

a stroke of luck came about and i picked up another panno with good glass and tail lights and some other goodies. i then picked up a motor out of a ke70 that ran reasonably well.

so i pulled the motor and gearbox, replaced the 4 speed with a 5 speed and got the new motor running. carby has a tiny air leak but it runs fairly well.

other work i've done;

- new front and rear main seals

- new clutch

- replaced front struts

- installed pump up air shocks in the rear

- replaced window & tail lights

- 13x6 jellybeans

so now its quite presentable and runs quite well. few little wiring jobs left to do before i take it over the pits.

here she is after i picked it up and cleaned the years of grime off it;

Image140.jpg

Image139.jpg

rear floor had haenous carpet

Image138.jpg

pressure washed new motor

DSCF0268.jpg

cleaned up the 5 spd

DSCF0267.jpg

DSCF0263.jpg

DSCF0265.jpg

DSCF0273.jpg

DSCF0272.jpg

ive owned a heap of rollas in the past, this one is probably the tidyest. i'm just going to leave it stock, get the stockies widened to 7" 0 offset on the rear, slam it and put in a cd player.

Edited by caibs

Members dont see this ad

thanks guys

i've had heaps of rolla's before, but this one stands out i think. quite unique in its own way.

it's actually a one owner, who passed away then some dudes bought it but never touched it.

here is some pics of my old corollas, and my vl turbo which is my current daily until the panno's rego'd. its a bit of a pig to drive so I'm looking forward to the relaxed motoring offered by toyota haha

rolla.jpg

DSC03671.jpg

DSC00336.jpg

rolla4.jpg

DSCF0176.jpg

alright bit of an update, got the day off tomorrow so i'm gonna take it over the pits. brakes feel a little bit weird, not quite warped but i dunno. hopefully its just a bit of surface rust on them and it'll go on the drive to the licensing place.

installed the new struts, finished the wiring & did a few little things. all it needs now is a good wash. i'm excited, hopefully she'll be on the road in no time!

haha cheers bud. it was a shame i never got it running with the 4agte, only had it running with the 4agze- and even then i spent more time finding replacement diffs for it than actually driving it.

well, good news.

monday i took it over the pits, with the following to be rectified;

- rhs engine mount

- adjust front wheel bearings

- fit all bellhousing bolts (one was loose)

- remove old rego sticker

- wheel alignment

so yesterday i got to work, fixed it all up and fitted a ke70 carb because the old one had a gasket leak and it was easier to swap the whole carb over. then went for a wheel alignment (which i believe made it pull to the left even more) but regardless, got a receipt for it.

took it over this morning and it went over with no hassles.

absolutely stoked. gonna order some retro plates for it, as the new ones just don't look right.

DSCF0286.jpg

DSCF0289.jpg

DSCF0287.jpg

DSCF0288.jpg

having a huge blindspot kinda sucks to be honest. other than that, i'm loving it.

You get used to the blind spot, honestly i think it has made me a better driver.

makes me concentrate a bucket load more. (still on my p's)

so now I'm making less sparatic lane changes and noting what vechicles are in what order on my left. so i can time the gaps right :)

pretty much stay in the left hand lane lol

Edited by Mason.

Only thing I'd do is lower the grandpa visor so its in line with the roof.

This thing is wicked. I have a set of ke38 roof racks with the chrome roof strips sitting in my garage that are never going on my car.

Tried selling them to Mason :wink: