The Rwd 2Az-Fe Thread.

LittleRedSpirit

Members dont see this ad

There is one advantage to a noisy lift pump - because I have a fuel cell I don't actually have a fuel guage. The only way I can tell how much fuel I have left is the lift pump getting noisier when it stats to run dry with slosh. I know that's probably not as important to you but if you ever hear it you'll get a good "get to servo immediately" warning.

well done mate, the last item on your list is the best one, get out there and enjoy it! Your instincts with the tuner are no doubt correct, and by the sound of it the $$$ charged was over the top, with 11.8 in the top end there wouldnt be much power to gain really, timing is where a tuner would hide power if he desired to do so. also quads and tps tuning is an absolute pita to tune, and never really gets as nice to drive as a normal map setup, mine has been a real pain and matty spy said as a joke " don't bring it back unless its got a single throttlebody on it." the drags will be a heap of fun mate, hope it goes well!

Persistants plus ,good work !! I must say i have heard the tuning story before, not your tuner but sounds exactly the same story.

Took it to another tuner and he said i will get X, KW OR ITS FREE!!!

In the end my friend told him thats fine no more KW please it will explode haha .

This guy really new his s#it.

Nice work ,its a real credit the work you have put into it.

rob

I gotta say this is probably one of the few AE86's I really admire. It really is a function > form car in the best sense.

Unofficial Rollaclub Car Of The Year for me tied with Matts KE30.

Hey thanks Reed. I seek to inspire people. :clover:

With ego, greed, misinformation and general incompetence it's difficult to find any satisfaction in the aftermarket car industry in general.

Yes there's a lot of shonks, especially in qld where the motor trades are unregulated. Many self taught people who think they know everything.

There is one advantage to a noisy lift pump - because I have a fuel cell I don't actually have a fuel guage. The only way I can tell how much fuel I have left is the lift pump getting noisier when it stats to run dry with slosh. I know that's probably not as important to you but if you ever hear it you'll get a good "get to servo immediately" warning.

Thats a good point. ;)

Besides the tuning dilemma, you must be pretty stoked! The car is a real credit to your ability. As blzbud said, its a class example of function/form. It has my vote for COTY :2thumbs:

Thanks a lot mate. I am stoked, and after the refinements its a lot more civilised. If I can find some skinnier rear wheels I can go through the hills in it. I live at the base of the Mountains now here in Brisbane.

well done mate, the last item on your list is the best one, get out there and enjoy it! Your instincts with the tuner are no doubt correct, and by the sound of it the $$$ charged was over the top, with 11.8 in the top end there wouldnt be much power to gain really, timing is where a tuner would hide power if he desired to do so. also quads and tps tuning is an absolute pita to tune, and never really gets as nice to drive as a normal map setup, mine has been a real pain and matty spy said as a joke " don't bring it back unless its got a single throttlebody on it." the drags will be a heap of fun mate, hope it goes well!

The money was high but its not really an issue of cost, its the fact he ʞ©$ɟed around making a lot of low rpm refinements and shafted me on the top end, instead of following my instructions, he did the opposite. Plus now what does the tune really mean as he didn't even play with the vvti and try to find all the torque.

It runs good on the quads, Ill just restore some of my settings that he corrupted and then Ill be fine. The idle air manifold is a great thing.

Persistants plus ,good work !! I must say i have heard the tuning story before, not your tuner but sounds exactly the same story.

Took it to another tuner and he said i will get X, KW OR ITS FREE!!!

In the end my friend told him thats fine no more KW please it will explode haha .

This guy really new his s#it.

Nice work ,its a real credit the work you have put into it.

rob

Thanks mate. :y:

Got a couple more things sorted. I've borrowed some ssr mesh wheels from Peter down the road for the interim. Just 15x7 plus 15 or so. I went ahead and fitted them up but then noticed the 165 tyres on them. I couldn't get the jack out so had to slip blocks under the tyres, then went down the tyre shop and had my 195 tyres fitted up. Goes great now, I just need to fit some bonnet pins and some hatch clips to make everything nice and secure at speed. I also bought the pieces to do the ae86 tacho mod so the tacho will work as well.

One odd thing, fuel gauge was perfect initially but now is intermittent, and the odometer isn't turning over even though the speedo is. Wierd. When I pull the dash apart I might have a few things to fix.

20150924_123057_zpsawhba85p.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled apart the dash and had a look at the odometer. I have pronounced it dead.

I also have done the tacho mod and just need to wire it to ecu now.

Fuel gauge shows signs of life again.

Adjusted the shocks.

Tightened the hatch up.

Removed swaybar while I look for better bushings. The whiteline oversize bar does not fit as it collides with the rear housing of the diff centre.

Cleaned all around and tightened up the fit of the dash plastics around the cluster.

Getting a faint hint of fuel smell while driving and noticed the rail has a bit of an issue where the fuel hose connects, I need to use the proprietary Toyota fitting and not a hose and clamp.

Tightened up manifold bolts at the head.

Had a long drive the other night. Things insane but the more I drive it the more bad tuining cells I find, so Ive done a couple edits on the tune so far and it gets better each time.

I have, I admire the work you actually went through to do it, no one else that has done it has probably gone through the fab you have to do it and have probably used custom bell housings etc.

I was just saying that rwd 2az's do exist and I wouldn't be surprised if more popped up.