The Rwd 2Az-Fe Thread.

LittleRedSpirit

Thanks Dave.

Spent a half hour pressure washing the rear bar to clean old paint and grime off of it, I've been trying to get it in the right spot so I can finish off the arches 100% but the right bumper mount holes are a bit off, not just because I've got do do filler yet, but because they were unequal to the other side by measurement (12mm at first). I got it down to 4 mm different so far by using up the adjustment in the bar mounts and slightly ovaling out the holes, but it will be better perfect. I've still got a slightly larger gap at the rear where my repairs are with the spacing from the body so I will file a bit more tomorrow.

Didn't get onto the screen, I want to finish the arches first, and get in all the practice I can first.

Dunno how or why but a bunch more sand came out of the left sill again, same spot as before, I swear this car was rallied around the desert, jumped onto the floor, and just generally treated like an ae86.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

Members dont see this ad

Been doing odd jobs all morning.

Fixed the melted exhaust tip cutout on the rear bar.

20170103_110449.thumb.jpg.e33809b899cedfdb7eef141974f8b713.jpg

Painted the rear bar mounts and straightened one out.

20170103_110729.thumb.jpg.d21ab6a6610c78e2aee836f7594d9f78.jpg

Filed the bumper mount holes oval so the bar sits square.

20170103_101927.thumb.jpg.d68ad04133d0bd03c4e07bd8237c8fb2.jpg

Had another go at stripping the guards, much more bare this time.

20170103_110455.thumb.jpg.ebba0b9101182f20ea84b236175d84d3.jpg

Used the flexible grinding wheel to knock back 90 percent of the rust in the front screen edge. Ground the zinc off the repair piece, and did a bit more fine tuning of how it fits in the recess, very happy with it now. Ill go out after lunch and begin to weld.

20170103_114959.thumb.jpg.7d84ea6d9d3170ee1afc6fcf11915ea6.jpg20170103_115005.thumb.jpg.38995752be1f476e7bb2eade45a51243.jpg

Had a conversation with the neighbour 2 doors up, hes been doing a car up in his shed, just found out its a 70s era datsun, and not the typical torana or wb that I expected.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

Screen opening is now welded fully, sealed, trimmed, and I have installed the panel inside that I removed after welding up a couple of holes it had in it.

At the rear arches I have welded a whole extra piece that I made in 2 folded sections to realign the edge of the arch better at the fuel filler, did some trimming, re-welding and got it in place. Welded up the tabs inside the arch to stiffen it all up then hammered it flat, made 2 pieces of better steel with square holes in them for the plastic screw retainers that the rear bumper screws to, drilled small holes in them, then plug welded them up in place. Welded up the folded corners so I had strong points to shape.

Did a bit more work on the floor just being fussy, ground everything back, found some rust on the outer layer of the left sill, ground it back, welded up a couple of pin holes, rust converted and sealed it with zinc primer.

Decided to fit the new lift pump since the car was all apart anyhow. The whole point of all this work is to give the car some more manners, so a quieter lift pump will take care of 1/3 annoying noises (the other two are the pull-up relay to make the Tacho work that ticks and buzzes, and the next is the road noise). I knew I was pushing shit uphill space wise, so I ended up making a very sweet little bracket that bolts in on 2 captive threads, clears the fuel tank strap, and holds the pump in a nice spot just in front of the surge tank. Ill rubber line the back of it in the morning, and together with the stock rubber mounts, it will be double rubber mounted.

Tomorrow looking at grinding back and tidying up anything that remains, sanding, priming, cleaning and guiding the shell, and starting with some filler and sanding. Might even use this nice can of acrylic primer filler I have that I can put in the gun now the whole body is good to go for primer filler.

Ill have to find some paint for the interior too. And then paint the shuts out and inside the hatch.

Bought the efi hose I need to modify the fuel system. Worked out the finer points of mounting the lift pump, should just be able to use a longer piece of 3/8 efi hose to connect the hp pump and then it should be fine.

Also picked up a litre of white and a litre of black paint so I can mix a light grey for the interior.

Was tempted by an ex demo 4 channel amplifier from JVC for $59 so i snapped it up, I'm looking forwards to some tunes that I can hear over the car.

20170107_101721_zpsrqibbk2s.jpg

20170107_104459_zpsdv9ggkch.jpg

20170107_104518_zpswxaodptc.jpg

20170107_104525_zpszhqgksba.jpg

Looking noice mate, should be good for another 30yr or so.

I may not reply as often as i like, but its a good day when i see a post notification from the "BBT AE86" thread!

BBT = Big Block Toyota haha.

Have you sorted anyone happy to sort the engine for you? If not I could go through some of works customers after I get back and see if I could get you a good price from a good shop.

Edited by kickn5k
  • Upvote 1

Looking noice mate, should be good for another 30yr or so.

I may not reply as often as i like, but its a good day when i see a post notification from the "BBT AE86" thread!

BBT = Big Block Toyota haha.

Have you sorted anyone happy to sort the engine for you? If not I could go through some of works customers after I get back and see if I could get you a good price from a good shop.

Hello thanks for the reply.

A good mate of mine, (andostack on AE86DC) James, has offered to help, he is a mechanic, should be no worries doing it, however I'm still kinda interested in some head work. Mainly some performance valve seats and just clean up the ports lightly. Id be curious what you could come up with. I've got head and rod bolts, and the 88.5mm HG and pistons/rings kit for 11:1, so I'm ready to go I guess.

Fuel systems nearly complete again. I have reinstalled the tank, new surge tank and the high pressure pump I'm working on now. Had to slide it over 2 inches and put a longer piece of hose on it, but it should just fit inside the old mountings. Looking good. Taking a break to let some spilled fuel evaporate, then Ill go finish it. Might see if the lift pump will prime itself too, or whether I need to manually feed it to begin.

Carter's are self priming

Thank you.

I filled the surge tank so I can just put it all back together and it will just start after a quick prime or two.

Got it all buttoned up, its a work of art I think. Its good my hands aren't too big. Put in a lot of fresh hose and all new hose clamps. There is about 6mm above the lift pump to the floor.

Fuel filter is easy to get to.

20170107_165103_zps8edo5t6d.jpg

20170107_165057_zpsgk3u8rzf.jpg

20170107_165040_zpsmq417tfu.jpg

20170107_165014_zpsmdbvvj82.jpg

Line to fill the tank

20170107_164949_zps6oyd1e0u.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Prep has gone on at a good rate. A couple of mates came to help me a couple days ago but it was in the middle of the ehat wave so we got bugger all done. Since then I have just been working on guide and filler. Once I'm happy with the whole exterior I'm going to mix up and paint the inside. Then the shuts.

I still need to sand, and prep the gaurds.

Very happy with the look of the arches and the car in general.

20161119_151542_zpshj2tfvbx.jpg

20170104_184351_zpsxwbyvw5e.jpg

20170108_153835_zpswiowrwvp.jpg

20170110_175848_zps1e491dyz.jpg

20170110_175756_zpsrxpdtxns.jpg

20170111_153505_zpsu3g20byf.jpg

20170111_153534_001_zpszsfssae5.jpg

20170113_080804_zpsdje4hoxz.jpg

If I had ac I would have piped it to the carport, haha.

Decided to have one final go at the roof front line, as an exercise in perfectionism. It had the faintest of low spots.

Have been doing prep over the repaired B pillars. I noticed a pinhole in the drivers one yesterday so I welded it up, and have now prepared the pillars both sides, just waiting on a guide coat to dry hard to go over the left side once more.

The left door has had a significant repair, with lots of spot welds evident from inside the shell, and quite a bit of filler down low. Its sound though so I'm prepping right over it, I'm not going to do a better job than the panel beater who did it first. There's also some slight malformation of the metal under where the rubber strips were originally. I don't know is this was a symptom of the repair or a separate issue caused by amateur rubber strip removal.

Once these issues are addressed I need to finish the prep on the left sill and some of the lower edges of the doors, and thats it. Ready for a lick of the fine primer I have here. One final rub back, then inside, shuts and off to the booth.