The Rwd 2Az-Fe Thread.

LittleRedSpirit

Ive been working on the left door, its a ʇ~~ɔ. Looks ok now though.

Ive painted inside. Its a stealth sorta grey about 3 shades lighter than the primer.

20170121_172441_zpsnlqc7haw.jpg

20170121_172427_zpsucwqd1dm.jpg

20170121_172354_zpsbveqqjzg.jpg

20170121_172329_zpswhayipc5.jpg

20170121_172314_zpsee6wod72.jpg

20170121_172242_zpsmv35ipol.jpg

20170120_185336_zpsev5bpbba.jpg

Mixed a custom grey, then ran out with a tiny bit remaining, then made a hail mary dregs mix, got a perfect match first go with no other option, and was able to finish with a little extra thinners. Joys of custom.

20170121_145006_zpsftaflkur.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Today I painted the shifter white and played around with hydrographics, did a test to see if the acrylic lacquer would work, it was crap. Might try again with enamel, just for a point of difference.

Painted the Blackout under the screen, then laid the dynamat in the front footwells and a bit on the firewall and roof.

20170122_191702_zpssaktpwao.jpg

20170122_191605_zpsdktutc01.jpg

20170122_191549_zpsardnfytm.jpg

Still got 3 sheets left so Ill also do some in each door, rear quarter and the rear floor above the diff and pumps. Its pretty cool stuff, more flexible than you would think even with the foil. You just hammer fist it into place, after trimming to shape. Might be worth refrigerating it for a few minutes before use on a hot day, but today was pretty good for it.

Need to paint the roll cage properly again, and thats gonna be hard with the rest of the car painted inside. I guess it just means some awkward masking to do. Might use a similar light grey and then any over-spray might not matter.

Ordered a 19 inch shifter housing from Dellows, even though the guy told me they were out of stock on the phone 2 weeks ago. If its on ebay ill give it a go and see. I'm going to make the other part you need to switch from 18 to 19 inch housing by simply adding the metal in with the welder. I also ordered the rubber boot that goes on the shifter itself as mines in many pieces, and I have ordered a pair of black jdm seatbelt buckles as a replacement for mine from amayama. Currently the buckles are so UV affected, the plastic tubes that hold them in place for you to use one handed have disappeared right down to the lower regions, so that they just flop around and require 2 hands to use every time or rattle on the floor. A surprisingly annoying thing that makes it a bit easier to live with daily.

I installed all 36 sq feet as that was always the plan, the entire lot weighs 7.36 kgs so it represents a 5 kg weight saving over the factory stuff having used it all. I'm probably not doing a roof lining, so the dynamat has quieted the roof perfectly, which is what I wanted, it was a drum before. Total weight of the piece above the head is 920 grams.

20170123_091936_zps2txxgnom.jpg

20170123_091926_zpsbxij2kgf.jpg

20170123_091921_zpsmvldbfat.jpg

20170123_091842_zpsbekksxtp.jpg

20170123_091834_zpshnkhsqid.jpg

Fair enough, thats lighter than I would have guessed.

I only mentioned as I once helped a mate dynamat his car audio demo vito. We were rather surprised how much a sheet about the size of a4 would deaden a while roof panel.

It's great stuff. Have you ever seen the demo display some shops have with 2 metal garbage bins with subs in them. 1 with and 1 without dynamat?

Fair enough, thats lighter than I would have guessed.

I only mentioned as I once helped a mate dynamat his car audio demo vito. We were rather surprised how much a sheet about the size of a4 would deaden a while roof panel.

It's great stuff. Have you ever seen the demo display some shops have with 2 metal garbage bins with subs in them. 1 with and 1 without dynamat?

No I haven't but the roof was an amazing transformation. It sounds properly dead, and it was the source of all the resonance in the car body. The tinninessis all gone. I did use it sparingly in other places but my primary concern was where the road noise came from. I had driven a lot with a felt blanket in the back to stop stuff rolling around, and it always made more of a difference to the sound when it was more in the back seat than right up the rear, so thats why I did it where I did it, just focussed on the problem areas, and it felt retarded almost installing it after just finishing the removal of some remnant deadening the other day before painting.

Rolling back the memory to when I looked at the dynamat stuff, there were a few different types. This one was appealing because it was only a couple of mm thick and had the best weight vs performance for something a little more weight conscious.

I also went to Andersens and got some fluffy felt cloud underlay for the foot wells to make the new carpet fit better, and to make it pure lux.

Had the carpet sitting in place today making the stuff conform better to the floor before cutting the holes, then I went and cut all of it in except the roll cage bases. I also pulled out the sound and heat insulation panel I made about 5 years ago out and fitted them to the firewall. I think I had traced the stock one and it worked out really good. Ill have to glue it in place before the interior goes in with a small amount of contact adhesive. Probably just in a couple of spots.

I'm going to re route all the wiring to the left side of the firewall so I can simplify a few things. I'm also tempted to fit my heater. I'm thinking of using a commodoore heater tap with a vacuum operated valve that will eliminate the cable and also let me keep the heater circuit circulating at all times as its bypass style.

20170123_140401_zpsujjbpn6f.jpg

20170123_141056_zpsiatgzbas.jpg

20170123_142900_zpsbmjgtma4.jpg

Bit the bullet and ordered some brand new 3.583 diff gears. The last set in Japan. $930. Bit of a shot to the dick but its going to help the economy a lot in the long run, and I already have to have the diff shop fix the de-tent spring in the w box so they can do that at the same time.

Also ordered some black seat belt buckles brand new but am as yet unsure if available.

Ordered the shifter housing from dellows and its marked as posted so I guess they have remaining stock of that part at least and I'll only need to make the knuckle for inside.

Also have a shifter rebuild and a new rubber cap coming for the shifter.

The ratios are too close as it is. Its only a smaller change than it seems, as the change is from 3.909 to 3.583. So its .326. Its about right, it still wont be as tall as Camry gearing but it will get me closer while keeping me a little higher in the revs without being ridiculous.

Speed in gear km/hr @6000rpm:

With 3.583

With 3.9

Highway rpm 2720 with 3.583 and 3100 with 3.909.

I would buy the unicorn 3.412 set if I could have located some.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit