The Rwd 2Az-Fe Thread.

LittleRedSpirit

Members dont see this ad
  • 2 weeks later...

Took an excellent cruise to towards Cunninghams gap, and turned off and visited the governors chair lookout.  Didn't expect a 15klm mountain pass on rocky dirt 4wd tracks but it was nothing the 2az ae86 couldn't handle.  Met some cool people up there, chatted to a guy called Kyle for over an hour about cars.

Right as I rocked up I was making this video to send to a mate and some guys were pretty shocked to see the little sprinter crest the mountain.

Have a few more mods accumulating now to be completed.

I have a headlight rewire harness to connect.  Sick of dull headlights.  At the same time I will fix the broken adjusters and get them pointed a bit lower.

I have some hella 140 spotties to fit.  Might make a small bar to mount them on, rally style.

Also have some clamp style base-plates to fit, the throttles either need to be spot welded into the interference bases or they need to be clamped so Ill use the clamp ones from MRP.

I got some tygon 10mm tubing so I can redo the brake remote reservoir system.  The hydraulic hose that feeds the fluid now is sweating the most minute amount of fluid through it, and its attacking the paint on the booster, so I will pull it apart, touch it up and redo the remote reservoir with both the brake and clutch fluid connections utilised.  Then I will have more air box headroom and more room for longer trumpets when I do make a box.

Must have had a pinhole somewhere shrink and open up at the top of the windscreen, car had to sit out in some of this rain, and there were a few drops of water inside the top of the screen that I think were coming from the left upper side.

Will have the trim off this weekend to investigate.  I did a pretty good diagnosis of where it was coming from with all the wet weather we had.  Fucking cars. 

I had a fun drive Sunday arvo for a little while.    I've been feeling off colour for about 3 weeks, only just starting to feel better today, so I didn't go too far from home, just up to Mt Glorious the steep way then a quick U turn and right back down.  Cars handling very well, especially since the wheel alignment a few weeks back.

I took the air-filters off as a test and it makes so much more power and response is improved dramatically, I guess the air can just speed up really fast.  Id love to see the effect on a dyno if Novak ever books me in.

I did pop off the front top windscreen trim, and sure enough, there was a little place where the two outer layers overlapped and there was a little slot that was visible, right where the water was dripping in.  I had let it dry under the carport for half the week so I sealed it up with the non skinning windscreen sealer I had lying around, and smeared it in nice and deep.  I had clipped the top trim in and got it all back together well, or so I thought.  I guess the car did go better without filters because I gave it a squirt over the hill between Ferny Grove and Samford and the trim just flew away.  Cue the earliest possible U turn, and despite the trim laying sideways across the white line I was able to get it back undamaged, and all the clips were still tucked in place, I may just need a little sealant to hold this in nicely in future.

I also put the mrp bases on the trumpets.  The only negative thing is the tiny probably m3 screw that hold the trumpets into the clamps is a bit short as one of them popped its thread, seeing as how once trumpets are inserted, they are not near the end of the thread and would work better if the screw was 5mm longer.  Still works fine though.  I got a small metric tap set over the weekend to play with fixing it in future.

I have also stopped at IFS and picked up some 5/16 flare nuts, some straight and 90 degree adapters and some proper fluid nipples to attach to them.  Simply to give a fluid nipple end and not just to push efi hose onto bundy pipe and clamp down.  I've wanted to do it for a long time but have only just gotten around to getting the parts.  I can now do the ends with either 90 degree adapters or straight on adapters depending on what will clear my eventual airbox the best.

Still playing with idle control, its fine 99 percent of the time, but I had an issue where it would over correct and over shoot so settings have been adjusted.  It just seems to want to be a prick on lower air pressure days compared to higher air pressure days.  In the rain it was a bit of a prick last week.

Well congrates to you and your better half. If you think driving fast cars is a thrill hold on to your hats there is no thrill ride on the planet that can match being a parent. If you can parent with as much passion as you build cars your daughter is gonna be one lucky girl. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Big pain in the ass but the brake booster is being erratic.

At first noticed a lack of assist when heel toe driving, and thats normal after you fail to let the revs come down for a few stops.

Last few drives I noticed it was just inconsistent, as is it would not hold vacuum for a long period of time, or maybe just not enough to charge the booster.

Im torn between do i have enough vacuum, (it did used to work fine), or is the booster failing.  I will buy a vacuum gauge and see what i can do.

Might be.

I hunted around and ended up seeing Scott at Auto power Parts for a test gauge kit.  I get about 14.8inches of vacuum at idle in my idle control manifold.

Im going to test it and see if I get more by tapping the 4th inlet port after butterfly by itself.  Maybe I'm not getting enough vacuum at the booster hose becaue a while ago I teed the pcv into the top of it and took the vac connection off the 4th port all together thinking that might pull the most (but without testing).  Bit scary driving with varying degrees of vac assist on the brakes.

Ill do a couple of tests.  I noticed if you sat on the highway for a bit at constant tps then braked it wold be low on assist, same as if you drive it hard.  It might have a slow pinhole leak somewhere and it might just lose vacuum instead of keeping it captured till required.

I checked the one way valve, and it seemed to hold air for a bit after shutoff, a minute or so, but I will hook up the gauge and do some better tests and determine if its losing vacuum or just never achieving enough.

I can always fit a vacuum pump but I dont think I should need to on a Camry motor with stock cams.  I might do a storage tank though as I can hide that and it would let me heel to for longer.