The Rwd 2Az-Fe Thread.

LittleRedSpirit

As always I wrote down my username and password years ago, but when I tried to log in today it said the password had to be 6 characters long, and mine is only 5. That finished that, followed up by the Hotmail email I used on it no longer existing according to Microsoft.

I think I'll just write it all off as a typical modern day incident as the internet matures. In reality we should be parking truck bombs outside their headquarters.

• Upvote 1

Members dont see this ad

So moving on.  My headlights now point in the appropriate direction.

Thought all my adjusters were bung.

Pulled em off, lubed em, and then noticed that someone had would them all the way off the adjusting threads.  Once I wound 2 of them back on, and I replaced the one stripped adjuster, I was able to get things correct.  Makes such a difference, they were kinda high and left before.  Ill fit the headlight rewire kit I purchased a few weeks back soon, and then I might have decent headlights once and for all.  I also have some hellas to go on if required, and I do like the look of the rally spots.

Will be replacing front rotors, pads, and re greasing bearings soonish.  Have had them sitting on the shelf for a while, the plan was always to see what a fresh set of Celica brakes was like before doing an upgrade.

Been emailing BC about the possibility of some cams, springs and mild headwork while I'm installing the pistons to get the most out of it.  You can retain vvti with even the stage 3 280/272 cams.

Blew a shit tonne of dust out of the drums, they definitely do their job turning gasoline into heat and dust quite effectively.  Must be some hella dusty shoes.

Added another 8mm to the inlet length, and seems better again.  Seems like longer is best with this motor.  I've also ordered an aluminium bend so that I might be able to design some curved trumpets to fit inside my space for an airbox and give me an inlet length another 50mm longer again.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

BC kind of annoying to talk to, non committal on answering even basic questions.  Wanting to sell performance parts but give very minimal ideas about the performance seems disconnected to me.  Claiming, we would put up the dyno charts but we had a hard drive die.  Seems dubious to me and I lost a little confidence with them through the low quality of the interaction.  Wouldn't answer a basic question like if set up ideally with ideal cr, how different would the 280/272 cams be to the 272/272 set.  How much extra rpm to pull, etc.  Trying to work out if I can run thew rpm required to make best use of them.  Its like pulling teeth getting them to back their items with even any data.  Only way I got a response to anything was actually to write him off and say, "You know what, you aren't interested in this at all, sorry for boring you, I wont darken your door again."  Then i got a mildly decent answer top one question.

I received the aluminium bend I wanted, its about right.  I need to find someone with a 2 inch od tapered die and alloy welding facilities so I can make the trumpet slide into the tube and weld it on.  Could do almost 300mm trumpets if required and have a 630mm inlet.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm booked in for a tune Friday morning, wondering what the powers going to read with the longer trumpets.

Been running intake vvti mapping from a 2grfe, it works great, but Ill design a few test maps to test different content in those maps, I would like to do a 10 20 30 and 40 degree pull to see where the curves cross.  I will also test up to 200mm trumpets by holding the 150mm trumpets inside the 94mm trumpets just to get a test done.  If there's more power there Ill make some to a much greater length with a bend.

Just got back from the dyno.

Was not able to increase peak hp, but did a few other productive things.  We did some testing to reveal the itbs are at their limit of flow.  When you increase inlet length by 2 inches like I did, you should see some more torque across the lower revs.  This did not occur, which is generally a good indicator that the air is already as fast as it can go as it passes the throttle butterfly.  Therefore the only way to make more peak power is to go to a bigger butterfly throttle.  Rob thinks around 50mm butterflies.  The limit of the silvertop itbs if you bore them is around +2mm so about 45mm butterfly.  This isnt going to cut it really.

Instead of finding power we did the vvti setup and found the most appropriate setup for each and found whatever was available under the curve.  We did 50, 75 and 100 percent tp tuning, and interpolated the rest, which yielded some nice drive ability and response.

We trimmed a lot of fuel out of the maps, and reduced the overall consumption I would say fairly dramatically, full throttle was close to ok but a touch rich, but 75 and 50 percent were way rich and it allowed me to slash fuel out of unimportant zones of the map that you dont really drive in but that you often blip the motor through when you change gears.  I have already noticed less unburned fuel rumbling out of the exhaust on the change.

So looking forwards, I need to stop fussing with inlet lengths and to look at increasing flow through the inlet manifold.  I need to stop worrying about cams till I work out how to input more air into the motor.  That would be a wasted exercise unless that happens.  In the longer term I may buy a used 2azfe to fit in the place of this low mile near new motor, and then I can pull this motor down, get my pistons fitted and get an inlet made that will open up the airflow.  Then I could consider cams, bigger valves and some porting, and maybe some 4-1 headers to see what that does because science.

How on earth do you have time for all this with a new born? Mine is due in 4 weeks, so maybe there is hope of e30 projects:D

Great info in your posts as always. What detrimental affects are expected if you make the throttle bodies bigger? the internet gurus will tell us that you will "lose low end torque". Your engine is swimming in torque already, do you think there will be much effect?

It would have some effect on airspeed at low tps undeniably, but airspeed and inlet length can be balanced to pick that up.  With the stroke of the engine it pulls hard enough from 1000 rpm with nice driveability.  Maybe that figure shifts to 1300 rpm, and the peak goes from where it is now to slightly higher?  I can live with that.  It currently plateaus around the 110kw mark for the last 600 rpm.  In theory if it kept going from there, it would improve peak and not hurt the low rpm performance too much, its always going to suck a lot of air being a 2369cc engine.  I still dont know about cams, because I dont want to spin it faster than 6500 rpm, and it would probably need rods and pistons done to save weight to achieve it day in day out.  It may be happy to peak at 6500 rpm anyhow, and I'd only really need lift and minimal duration increases if that were the reality of it.

Maybe a nice well balanced setup would be 50mm ITBS, port tidy up more than porting as such, and some lighter valvetrain equipment, maybe oversized 1mm in and out, on standard camshafts.  I think with a 4-1 header I can put the peak to the top of the rpm band and shift the VE a bit higher if we can get the air through the inlet and out the exhaust.

And on the time issue, I simply scheduled some time this week for golf and car related stuff.  Its good to have a work life balance, and I've just completed a large renovation project and am only working on smaller jobs at this time, so I had a small window to do this.  I did fresh oil and filter at 7pm last night, and washed the air filters.  Wifey is very understanding and coping well.

The thing my child is teaching me is to be more productive with my time, because my life now contains a new layer of inescapable responsibility, but it doesn't feel that way, I find it inspirational.  What I do I want to do well, with work and with my interests.  I want to set a strong and thoughtful example for my child, and I want to see her grow up to be an interesting person and not a vapid level 7 iphone zombie.

20170901_104140.jpg

20170825_080728.jpg

20170813_164347.jpg

20170813_164229.jpg

Got a couple of levin decals in the mail.  I'm considering fitting a black rubber door strip and then the GTV stickers, since its pretty well styled off a gtv.  Its got the zenki levin front, lotus rear lights, zenki grill, zenki lip, quick steering rack, so aside from the hectic bonnet its pretty zenki GTV styled.  I'm actually pretty keen to find some power steering knuckles and to try those with the rebuilt 3.4 turn std rack i have for this thing, see if its nicer st speed, its almost a bit twitchy at high speeds, and the stock rack and shorter arms might be more neutral around the centre, and that would make it more similar to a gtv which I think had a manual rack and PS arms from the factory.

Ive also devised a way to fit some high performance itbs to this motor, I can buy some from rhd engineering.  I've been looking at whats out there.  The Jenvey ones area bit old school looking, not super compact and they are about 185 pounds a throttle, without linkages and that's just too pricey.  They take much more to fit and are so darn expensive.

I really want to fit upstream injectors at the same time, because I believe that this would give a much stronger top end to switch to those around 5000rpm, and get better atomised fuel from the inlet by delivering it farther upstream.

The RHD engineering product looks the most adaptable to me.  They bolt up to side draught manifold mounts, so you can use them on a number of things.  They have o rings both sides as standard, and I like the efficiency of that.  They have a very compact design.  They also have an injector opening under the throttle plate, which I think is a good place to inject to get the atomisation to be maximised.

All it would take to fit them would be to make an adaptor plate that shares both patterns and bolts to my current manifold.  I would probably use the 48mm size as I think with a half inch thick aluminium adaptor plate I can port match them into my manifold nicely and just bolt it all up.  I still need a second fuel rail and a second set of injectors, but that's not too hard, I could even just use a stock 2azfe rail and tap an outlet on it.

IMG_0650.thumb.JPG.10deb32e932123cc93b8bf6550cb0bf7.JPG

aabaed4s-960.jpg

jp1983Levin_brochure15.jpg

26baed4s-960.jpg

itb rhd 3.jpg

itb rhd 1.jpg

itb rhd 2.jpg