The Rwd 2Az-Fe Thread.

LittleRedSpirit

I was reading those fuel consumption values and thought...meehh...not so good until I realised it was klm per litre. Its a bit early in the day. So I converted it. Freakin awesome for something that has got a stack of poke. Impressive and so pretty.

Members dont see this ad
10 hours ago, LittleRedSpirit said:

so is it possible its doing 11.75ks/litre around town now just on this change?

Most definitely is possible and I'd say almost expected.  You have pulled a good amount out of the map and it's atomizing better, that will always change economy for the better.

Do you run lean cruise?

22 hours ago, kickn5k said:

Most definitely is possible and I'd say almost expected.  You have pulled a good amount out of the map and it's atomizing better, that will always change economy for the better.

Do you run lean cruise?

I do once ive found a happy place with the tune, I switch it over to closed loop, and it goes fine, but I hadnt really tested the difference in economy if any.

On 2/14/2019 at 6:43 AM, Big G said:

I was reading those fuel consumption values and thought...meehh...not so good until I realised it was klm per litre. Its a bit early in the day. So I converted it. Freakin awesome for something that has got a stack of poke. Impressive and so pretty.

Thanks Graeme,

Im pretty excited to hit the highway and see what it will do.

Had another thought, I know I set the fuel pressure high enough when I got the car running, I wonder if the retarded cunt that dynoed the car and didnt even change any timing, Gary Coombes, who left it really over advanced, might have knocked back the fuel pressure when the car was in his hands?  I cant imagine a reg adjusting itself down.

I just conducted some real world economy tests.  Around town, driving like on a dyno to get logs, I achieved 10.25km per litre (9.75 litres per 100 km).  The previous average was 9.25 km/litre (10.8 l per 100km).

Highway.  Previous best was 12.25 klm/litre (8.16 litres per 100klm).  I just tested it and got 14.1 km per litre (7 litres per 100klm).

10.8 percent better around town.

15.1 percent better on highway.

Finally getting the economy I expected to from this car.  Its comparing favourably with the Camry the engine comes from, it gets about 14l per 100 in town, and about 7.5 litres per 100 highway.

I dont see where right now, its about where I expected it.  I can still tidy up the tune and then go to closed loop fuel control, that will trim it as lean as possible.

Off to All Japanese Classic Show and Shine at Earnshaw Road, Banyo today.  Swamp garage Steven is on the way to convoy over.

Had a great Sunday morning at the 7 of Clubs all Japanese Classic show and Shine event.  Unlike last year the AE86 was well represented, with stock ADM, Stock JDM, ADM to JDM, UK Spec and modified versions, mine with the 2az and another with a rotary.  Notches and hatches, Levins and Truenos.

The black ae86 called Loco86, owned by a bloke called Mitch, won the peoples choice (I voted for him too).  Great dude with an immaculate adm to jdm conversion.  Built by him and his dad.

20190217_111521.thumb.jpg.2fd8891ee4fa8a5f523bcf537c0549ea.jpg

IMG_20190217_121222_193.thumb.jpg.895f5e87d0bd4a88c44c6258095f451d.jpg

IMG_20190217_121222_196.thumb.jpg.a3539d112546d3a51aab8b4367633cf3.jpg

IMG_20190217_121222_210.jpg

IMG_20190217_121222_212.jpg

IMG_20190217_121222_204.jpg

IMG_20190217_121222_186.jpg

IMG_20190217_121222_182.jpg

IMG_20190217_121222_183.jpg

20190217_120223.jpg

20190217_102807.jpg

On 2/15/2019 at 8:39 AM, LittleRedSpirit said:

I do once ive found a happy place with the tune, I switch it over to closed loop, and it goes fine, but I hadnt really tested the difference in economy if any.

I saw a sizable gain in economy with the sprint 500, went from high 10's to low 11's ltr per 100km to about 9-9.5 on avg now. That's on E85 too.

Haven't quite got it where I want it with open loop yet, so I'm not ready to drop it in closed loop and sail off into the sunset.  I log every other drive, and run the wideband 24/7. 

On the previous 2 weekends, ever the tinkerer, I continued to work on things.  Fuel system mainly.  After hearing a throwaway comment about fuel pressure regs buzzing, and transferring that to the body as vibration if rigid mounted on "the skid factory", I decided it was time to bolt the reg to the front of the motor instead, which I did.  Not to stop there, I found a nipple in a vacuum test kit to replace the one that unscrewed and fell out of the reg, which prevented me from using vacuum reference previously.  I hooked it up and tested, it was right on spec.  I also inspected and rerouted some fuel lines, they could still be neater, but I'm confident now its all had a tonne of heat cycles and its kinda sitting where it sits, I've mounted a few things better and insulated some other things.  I've heard too many stories of cars burning up.  I also got under the car where the pumps are and wrapped and covered any line that had any proximity to an edge or surface that could, in time compromise the hoses and leak fuel.  Not pretty stuff but pretty important.

After putting the vac signal back to the fpr, I have had to richen up the first few rows of the map, and it seems the top of the map is a touch richer.  I've got a bit of a lean spot at 6percent tps and below.  I seem to get one little lean spot about 2300, one about 2700 and one about 2900.  Its odd, I'm playing with timing and I've smoothed it out, and it was a bit lean, but its a bugger because it takes about 2 percent tps to maintain light acceleration so you end up in the annoying map a lot.  I cant see anything weird in the logs except for fluttering afrs which makes me think its a fuel atomisation thing at low throttle openings and load.  Might try to filter map sensor, because the lean jumps seem to correspond with slight increases in manifold vacuum.

Fuel consumption is good still.  Im almost 300 still a bit above 1/4 left.  Used to get about 265 to this point about town.  Been online shopping this morning for oil cooler parts.  Ive bought a cheap 25 row cooler, since its the same as you can buy everywhere branded or not.  I have purchased the mishimoto sandwich plate adapter with 185f (85c) thermostat.  Ive also bought the fittings to attach the lines to the plate.  I need to get it all installed and design the lines and their routing once its all situated.

Saw the MCM ls1 kingswood at Strathpine SCA.

Saw myself and my car in the background of the skid factory video about all Japanese classic day.

Threw in  photo of the relocated fpr.

Cool cat came over and put a kamei lip on a tarago. 

Screenshot_20190303-071957_eBay.jpg

20190302_102118.jpg

20190226_133043.jpg

Screenshot_20190225-182650_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20190302-113609_Gallery.jpg