The Rwd 2Az-Fe Thread.

LittleRedSpirit

I believe Jamie is the second owner since tec arts sold it locally in Japan.  The Japanese owner before him had held on to it, and maintained it pretty well, until ultimately auctioning it during a slow week at the Japan auctions.  Jamie got a good deal on it, got it here, and noticed some things about the car, started researching and ended up finding out it was a parts research car for tec arts.  Apparently used to test things that would ultimately be produced or go onto Tsuchiyas car, or the Purple tech arts car that everyone knows.  Hes actually been able to find out a lot from tec arts, and corresponds with them about what is and isn't original to the car, and is kind of putting it back to original, restoring and cleaning and detailing and just making it what it is, a pretty cool and historic AE86 with a really well researched setup.  Its got a straight cut T50, 4.6LSD, Takao Special 7ag, which is not the 7ag we know in Australia, but one of their 1.6 litre NA build recipes with 20v itbs, ae92 engine, and their own cam spec and headwork.  Makes about 195 HP, revs to 11200 or something retarded like that.  Jamie took me around in it after the show and warmed it up and just dumped it to kind of demo the response, and it just rocketed like no 4age I've ever experienced.  Chatted for a while and we ended up taking each others car for a ride around the lot.

So much unique stuff, like hand fabricated aluminium tig welded front bar mounts, carbon roof, concealed bracing inside the car.  Its got electric mirrors, all the skirts and air conditioning, most of the interior, and weighs well under 900 kgs, so its almost 200 kgs under what a GT APEX edition should weigh.    High rise exhaust manifold, lexan rear window, glass guards, bonnet and hatch.  Has a really cool manually adjustable rev limit so you can decide not to pull 11200 if you get excited.  Surprisingly it had a smooth cold idle, that became lumpier as it got warmer.  Its tidy overall, and you cant really tell at first glance what the roof and guards are made of, it still looks like a pretty legit original Panda as much as it can.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

Members dont see this ad

Drove the car up to Maryborough over the weekend.  It went perfect.  Did some longer range highway economy numbers.  14.33klm/litre over 471ks (6.97 litres per 100klm).  Consumed 32 litres.  Very happy and on par with some earlier tests.  Gives me a range of 645klm between fills on highway driving.  Around town I got 9.6klm/litre from the last tank.  Had a party with some mates on the Saturday night, stayed in his apartment, which is an old shop front in the main street, converted into a loft type dwelling.  Its awesome.  Such a big open space, awesome old brick walls, and hardwood floors, the things decorated in the brutalism style, which is his old mans taste, but works really well there.imageproxy.php?img=&key=69b2c82a94c3a245

IMG_20190721_173515_392.jpg

IMG_20190721_173515_404.jpg

IMG_20190721_130536.jpg

IMG_1514.JPG

IMG_1380.JPG

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

• 2 weeks later...

Crazy week in 2az86 land.  Was working on the ra65 that I used to own, helping do the wheel bearings, and Wifey was shooting off to get a late lunch for us, but managed to back rather hard into the front of the AE86.  I will forever have nightmares about that sound, but yeah, the end result is a smashed left headlight, parker, the freshly painted bonnet is dented and re kinked, and the left bumper mount and bumper is distorted, one smashed driving light, and the most annoying part, the rad support was pushed back a bit, and theres a little ripple and the right upper fender rail has moved over a bit as it was pulled.  Long story short its gonna have to be realigned at the front, zenki parts are unavailable, so it will get a Kouki front and likely just repair the bar that's on it now cause you simply cannot buy a bar for these new any more.  Cant get a left bumper mount so that's  annoying too.  No mechanical part was compromised, so it runs and drives.  Wifey feels terrible, but luckily she's insured and so am I.  Its going back to the same body shop that was just working on it, Northside Smash Repairs, and I've been named customer of the month, sarcastically. 

Not sure exactly how long its going to take to get it all sorted, the parts come from Ireland, and will take a few weeks, the car is at home waiting.  Onwards and upwards.

Oh forgot to say, the day before this madness I picked up a bride rail from a guy at Fernvale, and I ended up cutting it up and remaking it in a couple of hours to suit my sr recaro.  Lowered the seat a lot, made more leg room, got more adjustment and kept in inboard a touch for safety.  Barely drove it twice like that and wifey did her thing so I'm yet to fully test, but I think its a lot nicer, however you feel more through the floor of the car, as far as suspension goes.

IMG_20190728_161440.jpg

IMG_20190728_161500.jpg

IMG_20190728_161612.jpg

IMG_20190728_161608.jpg

IMG_20190727_175941.jpg

IMG_20190727_185103.jpg

Just had the repairs authorised.  Total value is 4800.  Ive just ordered parts from Flos in Ireland on behalf of the smash repairer, had to buy the kouki lights as thats all you can get.  Car will have a different look in future I guess.  Kit comes with kouki headlights, parkers, grill, decal, and bumper lights.  They will repair the bar and its mount.  Any remaining Zenki bits will go on the shelf for a rainy day. 

IMG_20190822_094913.thumb.jpg.df558aaa1c36b266c14c1f918e63e775.jpgThe lights and grill have arrived, so car goes into the shop Tuesday.  Was lucky enough to get the non fog grill as I prefer it over the fog type.

I also installed a different relay box.  Now if I want to pull the rear interior and stereo out its easy without uprooting all my relays, and its next to the battery and I can reach them all from the back of the car without climbing into the back seat.

Also tightened up the cage floor bolts, and took out some redundant power feeds.

Touched up a few paint chips including a little tiny rust bubble that came up, I must have missed it when I did initial prep.  I dremmeled it out, rust convert, etch primed and filled, then rebuilt the 2pak.  Just need to buff it down.

Looking forward to driving it again.

IMG_20190827_083735_093.thumb.jpg.57d201607001bb5b245294983e4cd758.jpg

Car is in the shop at the moment to be fixed.

Picked up some spare cambertops a while back.

Put a tuned sticker on the trim under the screen.

Pulled out the stainless fasteners holding on the gaurds and fitted oem ones that I cleaned and painted.

Removed all the power feeds fror extra accessories and added a shift/warning light setup in the same location the oil pressure light was located before I changed to the dash pressure gauge sensor.

Removed the stereo compnents and the sturdy trims they're integrated with.  Weighed it all, 23kgs.  I will take it too a test and tune before it gets warm again.  Building towards that with the shift light and the weight reduction.  Im looking for a fair comparison to last time, so considering the extra speakers, trim and sub were added since, along with a metal bonnet and hatch, its the least I can do.  All the Kouki lights were surprisingly light when they were shipped over, I wonder how kouki levin vs zenki levin lights compare for weight.

Panel beater rang, knowing how I like to make things, and asked about the different wiring from zenki to kouki park lights.  I had no idea, but after looking it seems the kouki uses a bigger bulb for the parker, making it equivalent to a tail light globe size.  From reading around, Trueno park lights actually go brighter when you put the indicator on, as a side peeker light, which helps with finding addresses and turning visibility.  Levins do not have this function.  I had some bulb holders from a ke70 van tail light loom, that were in perfect shape, but they lacked the rubber seals the lights at the front needs, and the small bulb holders were a different unique pattern to the kouki blinker hole.  I stopped by the shop, grabbed the bits and went to BOSS wrecking at Tingalpa.  I found that there were few sources of compatible bulb holders for the small bulbs, one being ae95R 4wd corolla front bar lights.  Then I stumbled across the st184 Celica, whose tail lights feature the correct bulb holders for the big bulb in the kouki lights, and whose park lights have the correct holders for the kouki blinker bulb.  Both bulb holders have rubber seals suitable for the ae86 parkers.  I didnt want moisture to prematurely ruin some new parkers.  I remade the wiring and tested, and Im about to drop it all back to the shop ready for when they need it.  They tugged it, it was out of square in the bay, its all square now.  They pulled the rad support forwards, I think they gave the front of the rails a little tickle too, and they got the bar mount looking surprissingly solid and straight.  Pretty excited to check progress when I pop in later today.  They even found the exact same spotties and will replace those too.  That was a bit of an effort on their part because they are out of production retro lights.

Need to find the Kouki Eyelid trims as they didnt come with the lights unfortunately.

IMG_20190827_083735_092.jpg

IMG_20190803_094848.jpg

IMG_20190731_155832.jpg

IMG_20190731_155804.jpg

BOSS wreckers, i used to live there during the ke70 days. they used to know be name...but were always suspicious as i was always buying stuff off random different cars for the ke70....

i dropped into there about 6 months ago, not many old cars left then, surprised they even had an ae95. 

To be honest I was on a mission, they had an sw20 there that had the same rear bulb holders as the st184.  The st204 was on different more Camry like bulb holders that didn't suit.  Aside from the Toyota aisle I didn't look at many cars, and I didn't explore the yard this time really at all.  Always good for a haggle at the desk, guy wants 33 dollars for a few bulb holders, I got him down to 22.  Haha wreckers.

When I was last there a few months back they had an rn4x Hilux in decent shape, the sw20, a bunch of old FJ cruiser bodies, there's a big 1980s Toyota crown that's surprisingly complete.  Then just lots of the run of the mill corolla, yaris, Aurion and Camry.  There was an Aurion with a 2gr still in it there, but it was pretty water affected.

I learnt very early on that their prices chosen to make GST easy calculated. ie 20+10% = $22, 30 +10% = $33. So when they ask "yer cool mate did we quote you on that", you just say "yer mate dude on they phone said 22bucks". I bought alot of stuff from them for 22bucks haha. 

• Like 1