The Rwd 2Az-Fe Thread.

LittleRedSpirit

Cut my 150mm stacks down to about 112mm.  I heated the bases with boiling water and froze the trumpets with icy water and interference fitted them together.   Then I did up the fastener.  should be pretty hard to seperate.  They only measure 46.7mm inside.  Ideally I need to hone away 0.7mm of the alloy to make them 48mm id.  Not sure how to do that with what I have at my disposal.

I have options of 450mm 375mm and 295mm to test for total inlet length as well as two different throttle locations 80mm apart.  I also polished the bellmouths right up.

20180321_150932.jpg

20180321_150849.jpg

20180321_144742.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad

Last night I remade the throttle rest and made it so it sits on top of the throttles and mounts on the throttle bodies themselves, so if I space them upstream i can still use the same throttle rest.  I then removed the 80 plus 37mm trumpets and put on the ones I made above.  I think it went better with the longer setup, so with that in mind, I will try the long trumpets on a spacer next and see how that goes.  Should be an improvement hopefully.

Started this this morning and it was slow to start and running on 3.  The unplugging of coils and the lack of temp in exhaust pipe indicated cylinder 4.  Pulled plug, it showed no signs of fouling, so no spark at all really!  I swapped to OEM coil, fixed!  It ran smoother than it has yet on the new throttles.  I messed around and swapped to yellow jackets when diagnosing a miss while working out the itbs calibrations, it was just fouled plugs, not coils.  There the yellows remained, but a few times lately I had not had the drive I expected under hard acceleration, knowing what I know now, I assume it had a miss under load, and eventually this degraded to a miss at idle, so I guess I can surmise that the yellow jacket product is rubbish, and put them all in the bin and save my money for oem coils if I ever need, I have a full spare set on my other motor anyhow that are perfect after 78000ks.  The yellow jackets were good for 3 weeks, maybe 500ks.  I already sent one set back that seemed to create a miss.  Unacceptable.  OEM is best for ignition parts.  Car is going better than ever now at least. 

I did notice a substantial increase in fuel economy.  From 8.9 to 9.9klm/litre around town.  This I can attribute to extra efficiency getting air into the engine.  This is all a little surprising considering I added fuel here and there to the map compared to before, and extra transient enrichment.  I drove it rich for a bit, and have continued to trim the maps as required in the logs to optimise.  Basically, that's amazing economy for the first tank running in some new itbs and tuning them.  I think I need a highway economy test drive, somewhere about a 550klm round trip to see if I can get it on one tank.

• Like 1

Just got back from dyno.  Now 157hp.

A steady 10hp gain and closer to my expectations.  Torque is more linear and didn't really lose out anywhere even at low revs.  Response is crisper and the fuel map is a bit smoother shape overall.

The engine liked 2 degrees advance on transient events.  It was crisper with that added.

Very happy.  The torque increased a lot and the evenness is impressively driveable.

20180420_124714.jpg

20180420_124720.jpg

Matt AE86.jpg

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

Thanks alot!  Im very happy with the improvements.  I can also move the throttles upstream so I might do that at some stage just to see whats up, and Ill likely move the fuel injectors too and see how it runs.

Im keen to go to the drags now and see if I can break 14 on an aspirated setup.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

Been following mate, love the trumpets and the dyno results. In my dreams i am planning a similiar setup for my bmw. But I've gotta get the megasquirt running first!

One of these weekends ill have to come for a visit. I Still have that engine crane too. Dragged its sorry ass to my new house last year, and its right up the back of the shed now!

Hi David.  Yeah its been a fun few weeks getting this going and seeing such strong gains from the work.  I will need that crane back someday in the next couple of months as I have to get the Camry stripped out at some point.  Visit anytime, you drove it before so I would be interested in what you think of it now.

Looking to get what I need together to install the 11:1 pistons as soon as possible.

I have the coated slugs already, I also have a genuine full engine gasket kit and a spare head gasket, Toyota black goop, some rod bolts, and some new flywheel bolts.  While its apart Ill check the bearing clearances but hopefully they are fine being such a new motor.  I have some ring expanding pliers and a ring compressor.  Also bought an engine stand and a leveller for the crane as I dont want to damage the duco.

I'm leaving the spec sheet here because I don't want to lose the info.  I opened the box when I first received it years ago and found no spec sheet inside.  I just emailed last night to get it replaced and they sent me the specs.  I was looking online for some specs but could only find specs for turbo pistons, as it seems nobody does NA stuff anymore.  My piston to cylinder clearance is 0.0030 but most of the turbo cars were 0.0035 to 0.0045 from what I was reading.  I'm also considering using a slightly enlarged ring gap so NOS isn't off the table.  Dunno if Ill ever bother though.

cp specs158991.jpg