LittleRedSpirit

The Rwd 2Az-Fe Thread.

Interesting to see what you think of those maxis. I bit the bullet and got some re003 for my e30 last week (as they about the only decent tyre that comes in 205 55 r15). Very impressed so far, but I hear they don't last very long. Luckily it's not a daily drive (and these days I don't drive anywhere....)

• Like 1

Members dont see this ad

Im keen to see as well, obviously not going to have the dry grip Im used to, but I need to be able to get from maryborough to Brisbanein all weather so I really need something that wont aquaplane in the wet.  Im going from 205/50 to 195/50.  This should also help with the aquaplaning.  This is the tyre.

Guy at the tyre shop was a big fan of this tyre.  I could have gotten a similar spec federal for a lot less but according to the reviews they are not as good in wet.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

Plenty of places for water to go on that tyre. Should be a nice compromise for what you need it for. I recently got the cheapest Nankangs I could get for my daily drive subau impreza. And its amazing how much grip "normal" tyres have these days. Especially in the wet. Admitedly the tyres I pulled off both the e30 and subaru were very old and completely buggered. So its an unfair  comparison I suppose:p

Edited by ke70dave

Ive now been for a long highway mission to Brisbane and back for work.  The Maxxis tyre is actually very good.  The straight line grip is good, probably about as good as the non warmed up 595rsr.  It feels like it rolls really easily, it doesnt tram track, and the steering is more laid back and airy as opposed to fighting you a lot on rough roads, it just goes straight.  When turning you feel the lesser grip, a little more prone to understeer on harder steering inputs, responds better to being a bit more measured in the corners.  Havent had wet roads to drive on yet, but I will report in due time.  Wheel is easier to move in slow going, makes the quick rack lighter to handle.  Compared to the rsr tyre, these are quieter on the road too, could run the stereo about 25 percent quieter and still have adequate volume.  They are loud and chirpy when spinning, the rsr just quietly slipped.

IMG_20200110_115216.jpg