Ke11 Beams

drift freak

Champion Stu- I'm pretty sure it's a ke2x column. Looks identical to the two I sent to the scrap yards months ago. I know u should never throw parts out for this exact reason but I had no room and heaps of stuff layin around. Thanks for heaps for the photos though, much appreciated.

Does anyone know how hard it is to change the column from the 20 to the 10 box???

Members dont see this ad

any steering box made for the single lower arm suspension, will probably not fit. i've just tried on a KE17 i'm building at work, and found the later boxes all have longer pitman arms, and this hits the lower wishbone on the KE1X series. I tried boxes from a KE30 & 55 and both had same problem

i've built quit a few custom inlets and currently doing 2 Altessa ones. if you need any help, let me know.

anyone chasing a 6 speed????.. i've got 2. one is set up with custom rear cross-member for AE86

the KE17 pitman arm has a smaller spline than the KE20 & KE30 boxes i have available to me. there may be some other toyotas that has the same (small) spline, but i can't easily find it. it appears as though every part changed when they made the swap from A shaped lower wishbone to single arm wishbone.

no pics to hand of manifolds. i'll have some at work probably.

This is why I think you should just go straight to a rack and pinion Luke. Theres a KE25 with a 3SGE on this forum thats done it. I have been thinking about what to do since you have already sunk a fair amount of coin into the brakes/sleevekit and I think you should adapt a KE70 rack and do what Rob's done with his KE25...

Have a geeze at this and see what his done, It's deffiantly what I would be doing as a KE70 rack and pinion is easy to get, It gives you a rack and pinion, its a better system and the KE70 Steering column fits in a KE10 perfectly with no cutting and it's collapsible for engineering. I'll put a few links up of what i'm talking about.

Robs KE25 R&P conversion

post-9188-085161500%201300877642_thumb.jpg

post-9188-008147700%201300877523_thumb.jpg

post-9188-014901700%201300877690_thumb.jpg

Thats what a KE70 steering column looks like in a 10

This ones straight from Declan, His got the standard KE10 cross member, made some plates and his using ke70 LCAs with custom knuckles.

I think you should keep everything you got, but adapt a KE70 Rack&pinion to what you got now. It really would not be that hard!!

These are some of my pics..

251236_2070084757058_1393026071_2385873_114922_n.jpg

Basically I got the KE70 steering column and removed everything off it. I am going to keep the standard KE10 blinker set up as I don't like the look of a ke70 one in a ke10. Basically i just unscrewed the ignition lock and I'm going to machine up an allow piece that replaces the ignition lock

248117_2070360043940_1393026071_2386412_5805983_n.jpg

Like so....

Anyway, Something to think about.... Catchya!!

Cheers Jordan for the link, very interesting indeed. Will take them down to my original engineer after the bloke in Sydney just told me he wouldn't pass it considerin the size of my engine in the small car. THANKS ALOT D$&KHEAD.

So back to the original plan, just finish the tunnel and head to the engineers asap.

Was he talking physical size or it's 2ltr capacity? As far as physical size goes they are fairly large engine given the capacity. Would have thought capacity wouldn't be a problem as you can engineer a 1.8 turbo in a KE-1x in Vic.

Stu.

Edited by kickn5k

Stu- he was talking capacity. He then told me he was going away from individual cars so I suppose he just didn't want the hassle.

It's ok tho I spoke to my local engineer and he has applied to be put onto the new rta scheme so he will do it without any drama. The only reason I went to the bloke in Sydney is my original engineer was worried about how the change over of regulations within the rta would affect his insurance but it has since been cleared up which is a massive relief as he is closer and really easy to talk too. I just need to pick his brains on the ae86 lower control arm and ke70 r&p conversion..... Fingers crossed he says it's ok as he wants at least one original crossmember from the ke10 for engineering reasons. Given that there is no way the original gearbox xmember is useable I need to keep the factory engine cross member.

Cheers pmp16, I'm not feelin to confident about it. Might have a beams setup for sale but hopefully it is all good. I've asked him to come round so he can see it in the flesh so hopefully he will be up for it. Fingers crossed ;)

The only issue I can see would be clearance. You need atleast 10mm(finger width) to all moving parts(engine included).

In Vic(not sure other states) with engine capacity it's original vehicle weight x 4 for N/A engines and vehicle weight x 2.5 for turbo in a car between 700-1,000kgs.

So KE-1X being roughly 720kg x 4 = 2.880cc N/A and 720 x 2.5 = 1800cc. So in Vic if you had clearance you shouldn't have an issue. Seeing those huge brakes makes me think(know) your building this right. I'm not sure on your tunnel/firewall mods that will change state to state.

Good luck but I think you should be ok.

Stu.