Ke11 Beams

drift freak

Members dont see this ad

So I decided to start on the extractors the other night because I needed to be able to wire up the 02 sensor shortly. I had the original top section of the exhaust manifold already so I decided to cut the flange of where the the 4 runners merged to 2 and make it into a set of 4-2-1 extractors. The primaries are about 1-3/4 inch and the secondaries are 2 inch into 2-1/2 inch main pipe. I visited my local exhaust shop and picked up the bits i needed which included

1* 180deg 2 inch mandrel bend

200mm 2-1/2 inch straight pipe

1m 2 inch straight pipe

While I was there I oxy cut the old flange off and the stock heat shield brackets. Once I got home I cleaned the 4-2 mergers up with a angle grinder, die grinder and round file. I then measured the length of the 4 primaries (390mm) and fitted them back on the car. I then lifted it on the hoist and began fabricating the rest from underneath. I decided to maintain the same length for both primary and secondaries just for simplicity. Heres a few photos of how they turned out.

post-10705-0-06109800-1342824869_thumb.jpg post-10705-0-89689400-1342824884_thumb.jpg post-10705-0-36517400-1342824891_thumb.jpg

Johnno c- thanks, they took a little bit of mukin round to get sorted but I'm pretty happy with them. The only down side is due to limited space I have to mod the gearbox xmember to get the exhaust past it. It might be ok I'll just have to check ground clearance.

Altezzaclub- yeah it went really well, he had some minor scoring on the rear rotors after a few laps but we found some metal filings between the pads and rotors, so we cleaned them up and it was all good. He reckons the car handled really well apart from lifting the I side rear wheel under heavy braking/cornering but this will just take some time to nut out. His best lap time was a 46.2 sec so he was pretty stoked and the marshals were pretty impressed for it's first run.

Yeah it's awesome how interchangeable parts are from different models. This centre isn't the best though for track duties as he still experienced some single tyre wheels spin. I'm pretty sure he is going to a locked centre to maximize drive :)

• 3 weeks later...
This centre isn't the best though for track duties as he still experienced some single tyre wheels spin.

That would be so if its the Torsen centre that the Altezza uses. Once one wheel loses all traction it stops operating.

Best would be a clutchpack type, unlocks under deceleration so the car turns in well then locks up more and more as you put more power through it. Had one but I sold it recently.

Glenn - it will be difficult as there isn't alot of space under the car for both secondaries. I'm having trouble fitting the 2-1/2" pipe past the gearbox xmember at the moment. Plus I've been told to try and keep the catalytic converter as close to the motor as possible for best efficiency.

Glenn - it will be difficult as there isn't alot of space under the car for both secondaries. I'm having trouble fitting the 2-1/2" pipe past the gearbox xmember at the moment. Plus I've been told to try and keep the catalytic converter as close to the motor as possible for best efficiency.

You could always get a length of oval exhaust tubing and go under the x-member if you struggle?

So I thought while i have some spare time I'll post up a few progress shots. I have nearly sorted all the wiring loom out and finally got my fuel tank and lines sorted in the boot.

I'm running Aeroflow 200 series lines and fittings to reduce the chance of vapor entering the cabin. I'm stoked with how neat it has turned out and can't wait to organise the hard lines under the car. Once the fuel system is sorted in the next couple of days my mate who has wired the car up reckons it should be ready to go ahead and start!!! EXCITED MUCH :) LOL

post-10705-0-93403400-1344306937_thumb.jpg post-10705-0-34374300-1344306945_thumb.jpg

I don't think I'm gunna need it. My mates KE20 with the same Beams setup did about 50 laps of the Marulan track flat out and used about 25L. You have to remember that the Altezza is approx 1700kg while mine will come in around the 950kg plus myself (80kg),I think I will be fine :) but yes i did look at using a alloy fuel cell (check previous posts) but wanted boot space as I plan on doing some serious k's.