Auto Kick Down

abbott

ok I apologize if kick down is the wrong name for it but basically I have a ke10 with 4k and 2 speed toyoglide. problem is the way it's been set up it's still running an early carby so has a different linkage I'm suspecting a ke20? problem is I now have a 4k carby and adapting the kick down cable from the auto trans is becoming a massive hassle. now I wanna know is there a way to avoid using the cable? what exactly does it do? and say you were to put an aftermarket carb whether it be down draught or side draught how would you get the kick down to work? it's becoming such a pain in the ass I may just use it as an excuse to go manual but I kinda need to get it moving by next week.

any information is greatly appreciated and sorry if my questions don't make sense

cheers Tom

Members dont see this ad

id be running it, if not the box performs sluggish overall, the kick down regulates the oil drive pressure, so better take off, put the foot down, it kicks back. without the kick down it holds out for as long as it can in gear. Pretty much it gives your box LIFE! :yes:

Edited by Clapped out

• 2 weeks later...

<snipe> 2 speed toyoglide. problem is the way it's been set up it's still running an early carby so has a different linkage I'm suspecting a ke20? problem is I now have a 4k carby and adapting the kick down cable

The two speed auto uses a rod from the auto up to the carby. It connects to the same place where the throttle cable goes on the carby.

Can you manually change to 2nd with the gearlever??

That would make the kickdown redundant- you have a manual auto....

Its how i use to run the two speed in the '30 before i swapped it out for a manual.

• 4 years later...

Reviving an old thread here..

I've been running my 5k, 2 speed toyoglide KE10 without the kickdown cable.

It works fine but it won't let me take of fast. If I forget and press the gas too hard it takes of, seems goes out of gear and revs, then eases in to second.

If I stay gentle until about 25mph (still taking off about the same as your normal traffic but not as fast as I normally do) it'll change into second then I can mash it.

I'm not sure what I did with my kickdown rod... I didn't put it in because it didn't fit straight up to the twin carbies I fitted. I will be fixing all this soon!