5K/7K Engine Selection

Jrad

I've been looking at dropping a 7k (or possibly a 5k) into my KE70 as it appears to be relatively easy - the sump being the only "major" modification, which is nothing.

Just a quick question that I can't seem to find anywhere specifically.

Does the engine have to be sourced from any particular year of TownAce?

The TownAce prior to 1993 had the 1.8L 7k engine

and from 1994-2007 is the 1781cc 7k(yes, still 1.8L but listed differently for some reason?) Also came out in a 5k as well.

An engine from 2007 sounds enticing - pretty much brand new.

As for other stuff like gearbox etc, it's apparently all the same and I can just use the 4k stock.

Although the added torque of the 7k could prove to be difficult for the 4k box to handle.

Also, early model TownAce would've come with carby engines, and later model with EFI.

i'm a bit of a noob with all the mechanical stuff - but would there be any more than just bolt on with this? Or is computer and wiring required? I probably sound pretty dumb for that haha.

Thanks in advance.

Members dont see this ad

I've been told the new 5ke engines come from the great wall 4x2 utes. super keen to find one and have a look under the bonnet and confirm this...

as for the other content of the thread i have no idea, but would love to find out variations/ differences between late model 7k's

Hmm, I did wiki this prior to asking

"The 1.8 L (1,781 cc) 7K was first introduced in 1983. Cylinder bore was 80.5 mm (3.17 in) and stroke was 87.5 mm (3.44 in). Output was 80 hp (60 kW) at 4600 RPM and 103 ft·lbf (139 N·m) at 2800 Was available with a 5 speed manual & 4 speed automatic transmission. Available in both fuel injected and carburetted configurations, the 7K produces much more power and torque compared to the other K engines however it is a lot less 'rev happy' due to having such a large stroke.

7K is available in KR42 Townace SBV vans (1997- 2007) using a large G52 5 speed gearbox (Same bellhousing to box pattern as W55), or automatic."

Further reading on Redbook tells me that the 7K-E was in the 1999-2003 model, and simply 7K was in the 1998.

The "E" appears to be for fuel injected, as the 1998 and before models still ran carbies.

The info on the 1992-1996 models doesn't specify the engine type.

You guys reckon it would be an easier conversion to use a carby model?

I guess that'd also limit availability.

Here's a link to the 1998 info

I've been told the new 5ke engines come from the great wall 4x2 utes. super keen to find one and have a look under the bonnet and confirm this...

as for the other content of the thread i have no idea, but would love to find out variations/ differences between late model 7k's

As for that... I searched a bit. Nothing?

Are you sure you meant Great Wall? The engine codes on them are like 491QE

5k will slot straight in no problems. with the 7k you must cut the bottom half of the sump and flip it 180 and reweld

Yeah, already learnt that, luckily I've got no problems with welding/body work.

Did all my car, made up the customer headlight brackets for my quads because they're off a Corona.

The 5k is an option - but there's something about the 7k that's sticking out to me.

Maybe because it's not a super common conversion, but still easy.

It's got a lot of low end torque because it's out of a van - but that'd haul the little KE pretty well.

I was after what year TownAce I should be trying to look into and any tips/tricks using an EFT vs. Carby model 7k.

7ke with the townace bellhousing,

w58 out of an early supra so it has good ratio's and can handle a pounding,

t series diff so u can have lsd or even hilux so it lasts,

ud have urself a reliable quick little car and it would get out sideways when u want no drift machine but would be heaps of fun

ul need a pedal box out of a ae71 as it will be running a hydro clutch

a nice set of extractors and 2 1/2 inch exhaust so u can get the gasses out and bump the power up a little

or even just bolt an sc14 on her with the efi fuel system to suit after market comp and other stuff listed and she would really fly or even turbo and crack that 200kw k motor

7ke with the townace bellhousing,

w58 out of an early supra so it has good ratio's and can handle a pounding,

t series diff so u can have lsd or even hilux so it lasts,

ud have urself a reliable quick little car and it would get out sideways when u want no drift machine but would be heaps of fun

ul need a pedal box out of a ae71 as it will be running a hydro clutch

a nice set of extractors and 2 1/2 inch exhaust so u can get the gasses out and bump the power up a little

or even just bolt an sc14 on her with the efi fuel system to suit after market comp and other stuff listed and she would really fly or even turbo and crack that 200kw k motor

You are the man.

That's a very concise listing, it's pretty much everything vaguely mentioned that I had read in one place.

I just needed confirmation due to me not being super mechanical.

Thanks, I'll look a bit further into them.

thats a very short list man i can list everything for u but i seriously cbf but this gives u an idea a stock k box and diff wont hold up for long not even a day if u drive like me

so if u wanna do it do it rite it will cost u around 5 to 6k but u wont regret it

doing a propper 4age conversion wont be much cheaper if at all and its the sheeps way out.

ca and sr are gonna be a head fudge and getting close to being a sheep again.

5k will be dissapointing after all the effort, and 1uzfett is just to awesome.

question is how much money do u have to spend how much time do u have and what do u wanna do if all u wanna do if drift buy an s13.

Yeah, don't worry about listing everything - I'll do some searching myself like I already have. I don't expect to be spoon-fed.

I'm not a "drop a 4a in, work it and $7,000 later have a drifter" - if I wanted a drifter I would've bought a silvia.

This car is just a bit of a learning thing for me. I've always grown up around cars and the industry but never done any myself.

My budget isn't in the $5,000 mark though, possibly I'm underestimating the cost here?

If cost is slowly going to rise like that, maybe the 5k will become a better option.

I was thinking of just trying to pick up an already worked 4k-c prior to this.

My current engine is at 316,000 with a sometimes-but-mostly broken odometer

Realistically, I'm after something with some pep, that'll haul up the hills when needed without much struggle.

And as for a time frame - as long as I want to keep the car :)

Edited by Jrad

Common Myth : 7K install into a Ke70 is a quick easy job

Fact : 7k install into a ke70 is not a quick easy job.

When i say Is not an easy job, i talk in terms of - If you want to do a proper job.

When i say proper job, i mean having a vehicle that doesnt over heat. Having a speedo that still reads correctly. Having a gearbox that lasts. Having a differential that doesnt fall out. Starter motor that doesnt burn out.

Quick 7K Install = 7k long motor using K50 gearbox and Borg Diff. Using old radiator. Using the cable setup for the standard box. Banging the sump with a hammer & chopping it.

Proper 7K Install = Getting the 7k sump fabricated properly. Getting the sump baffled. Getting the Townace style bell housing & The W series gearbox (ive used a 2002 hilux box before, works fantastic). Heating cutting and repositioning the gearstick shaft. Cutting and moving the shifter hole forward about 10 cm properly. Ae71 Pedal box conversion. Hilux Speedo Cable, Pending the ratio's you have, a hand made or adjusted speedo face.Hand made rear W series gearbox mount. One piece custom made tail shaft. T18 Differential with handbrake connected up. (lol). Either a New radiator or a very good older one. 7K Factory Rad has a much larger surface area. Because of the extra distance between the gearbox slave shaft pin & the throw out lever on the gearbox, a new extra length slave pin needs to be fabricated. Pending the variant of 7k Motor you have - the distributor setup. The early Carb 7K with the electronic distributor is what you want. the later one for the EFI is no good, unless your going.. EFI.

In my case, we used the early dizzy, the motor was striped down, much larger cam installed, (can't remember specs atm), 3F Solid lifters from an early 60? series Land cruiser, 4KU Pushrods i had to order in from Japan, 3mm machined off the underside of the 4K rocker pedastals.. which was off a really late Ke55 4k (ADM), Inverted the adjusting lashes. No more hydraulic lifters thankyou. Oh, Along with 6 months of head porting, a pair of 40mm Side Drafts & an exhaust to suit.

i think thats everything anyway. It took Months. Monnnnnnths. All credit goes to the Trd brothers though : )

Have a listen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPFKozPChYA . 40 seconds in to 1 min 20 seconds. Climbing a mountain. Torque monster was an understatement. lol.

Comprehenda? =D

quick question u were saying in first post that the townace has the 7k in it 94-07 but is listed differently but still 1.8L wHat is it listed as then ?? On the 2000 model townace I got

mine from it had 7k on compliance plate :$

That's very interesting information regarding other year models! So from what u saying is the 7k is a very common engine in the townace being in such a wide range of year models but they are still so very uncommon to

stumble across at the wreckers .. Maybe the wreckers will

need a few phone calls to verify what engines in

the year models as they would be more accurate than wikipedia ( having good rep of uselesss information) as it's just a dictionary of someones opinion .. I bought a 7k out of the 2000 model and it seems to not need any sump modifications to fit with crossmember in ke10 ..

Ok so u said 7k come out in 93 model

an earlier which it didn't ..

94 to 97 has 3yc and 4yc .. 2 litre

97 to 2003 has the 7k !!! 1.8 litre

No such thing as 2007 townace either from

information just learnt .. Kr42 stopped being produced In 2003 not 2007 ..

In regards to not being very attainable with the wreckers, this could be due to it being a commercial vehicle?

Wreckers such as pick-a-part don't tend to get commercial vehicles because of the company owning them.

How often do you see a ute or a van that isn't a Tarago at a wreckers?

The information from all different sources seems to be clashing a bit haha.

Wikipedia is a bit dodge, redbook seemed more reliable.

It appears that the 7k was 1.8L in 1998 and the 7K-E until 2003.

Redbook only goes up until 2003 so I guess that's correct.

And Teddy.. woah haha.

Sounds like a racing car you're building there.

The quick install was looking the better option because of the cost factor.

Although hand made parts isn't hard for me - we've got a panel shop.

I don't know if my speedo reads correctly as it is, haha. It kind just.. bounces up and down around the speed.

AND YOU ANSWERED MY ORGINAL QUESTION! WOO!

Not an EFI engine!

That narrows thing down, also limits the options.

It looks like I'll have to be on the hunt for a 1998 TownAce 7k engine.

Good luck.. :S

I can see what happens to so many people like myself and I'm sure a lot of you.

Start something.. and it snowballs into a much larger thing.

Just Wrecking Toyota here in Adelaide get a fair few 7K's going through there, and they're good guys to deal with.

Last time I was there (month ago) he had 3 of them 2 carby and one injected. He also said they get roughly 50/50 carby & injected, plus they would no doubt have gearboxes and other bits necessary to do the conversion.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.justwrecking.com.au%2F&ei=wSSBTu2JMIbEmAXFv9An&usg=AFQjCNEb1NaHy21dt7rPsiBi-0GTKwmutg&sig2=pYS-vCWyCSYyMVZq0vRmDQ