5K/7K Engine Selection

Jrad

No good asking me about what bolts up to what just yet.

All I know is that I can bolt a K40 or K50 onto the 7k.

And agreed about wikipedia.

Majority of "strange" mods can only be found out by experience.

A lot of the time someone goes "Hmm.. I've got this hanging around - I'll see if it fits!"

And yeah, I'll be able to source engines and boxes locally from various wreckers/Toyota reps.

We've got connections ;)

Now I've gotta wait until the uni term is over, finish rubbing down this '63 Catalina project for dad and get onto some mechanical goodies!

Edited by Jrad

Members dont see this ad

A lot of the differences will be country-specific. Aussie sells the cheapest crudest shit possible usually, just like NZ used to when they assembled cars. USA gets the biggest capacity motor options of anyone, Asia gets cheap hard-working stuff & Japan gets some lovely sophisticated fast gear. ( that ends up in NZ, Russia & other countries that allow 2nd-hand Jap imports.)

• 9 months later...

when using the 7k efi to bolt to a 5k. does the 7k-e have a different rocker cover like the 4k-e or could i use the standard 5k rocker cover?

also beside needing the obvious of the intake manifold, electronic distributer, ignition coil, oxygen meter, ecu, fuel rail, and a air flow meter, is there anything i will need to do the conversion?

• 6 years later...

Would you like to start a new topic with this question, it would be easier to find in the future.

Where do you live and what engines are around??  There is the 2L Toyota Y engine (114lb.ft) that would fit, at least is has a square bore and stroke, or the long stroke 7K (103lb.ft) as you said. An oversquare 18R would be another contender, (107lb.ft)  in fact you could fit almost anything with a bit of work.. How big is your budget and how much experience do you have in swapping motors?

Are you sure the 5K is in good condition? Do a compression test and check the points and timing to see how well it is performing. It is definitely a bit small for a commercial vehicle.

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2019 at 1:45 AM, Pascal lespoir said:

I have a liteace van with a 5k engine in it,is it possible for me to put a 7k engine in it because it's not pulling uphill?

Hey there fellow Liteace owner.  Hope you can give us an intro about your van and engine.  Mine is 5K also.  7K will fit.  Around here some of them were built with 2c or 2ct diesels.  When you are searching, you can also search for Townace, since many of those are the same platform as Liteace.