Red Racer, Ned Help With Valve Springs

71-BEETLE-SEDAN

Hi all,

I'm about to purchase a red ae82, It looks pretty clean but needs some TLC, which ill be sure to give it. But i like loud cars, and going fast in loud cars.So this is were my questions begin.

Obviously i haven't got the car yet so i can't post up photos etc. But i would like some questions answered and some pointers given.

Ive driven stock fwd small hatches before, like a 1.3l Charade. It was fun but i want my corolla to be done properly, so coil-overs, or similar, headers and a 2 inch system? To a cannon, short shift kit, and some sticky wide tyres.

Ill start off buy washing,cut and polish,wax tyre shine etc. Oil and filter, which oil should i run, i like nulon in my other cars, is it okay for this car as well? Probably do the head gasket as its apparently on the way out, quick valve clean up, cam seals, tappet seals and adjust tappets as well, flush coolant system, gearbox oil bleed the clutch and brakes. Etc Etc, make it as close to new as possible.

I'm going to start by getting rims first as the car already has a cat back system. Can people link me some photos or post photos of their cars rims and fitment and sizes, or if there is already such a catalog. Ive checked out the tyre calculator etc, i just want to see what it looks like on the car before i fork out. The charade i used to have had 16s on it, they looked about the right proportion to the car, although the front sat a bit high with a few kilos of stereo in the boot. So if i went 16s, i would like to lower the car about an inch or two. Just to sit the car closer to the wheels, close that horrid gap from rims on a stock height car.What widths of 16s are people running on their cars? And if possible offset would be nice too.

Id be looking at up grading the brakes around this time id think, as a security measure more then anything. If there's anything i like more about my beetle is the ability to jump on the brakes and come to a halt allot quicker then most cars, i want this same feeling in this one. How would i best achieve this on a low cost basis, not buying massive brakes etc, just upgrading?

Next would be tyres, obviously needed so i can fit the rims, what work well on light cars, Ive always gone the cheap option well cause I'm cheap, but I'm doing this one properly, so good tyres it will be. Has anyone had experience with splitting the front and back, say different brands/tread pattern front to back. If so what were the results? The car will see some hard driving up and down mountains and probably track-work. If this makes a difference.

Next up would probably be the headers exhaust system. I have a varex cannon sitting next to me ready for this car. I want to get some headers for it first tho and do it all at once. Where have people had the best experience at, eBay, new , site sponsor or scrounge the classifieds? Then, what size pipe should i look at getting installed, 2 inch, 2.5 inch? Mandrel bent or???? Also a quickie, how loud is the 4age, without a muffler or resonator at the end of the headers, will it burble and fart on over run, or not really?

On the charade, my beetle, the work van so far all Ive done for a short shift kit is cut about an inch off the gear stick and re threaded and out a knob back on, is this okay? or should i buy a shift kit. This is one of the things that i think makes the car way more fun to drive.

Next and probably last of the major mods is coil-overs, do i need them or should i just go with lowered springs? The advantage being adjustable damper and ride height, the negative, big dollars.

One more mod that id do first up is a new air filer, the charade had a oiled panel style filter and it seemed good, made some induction noise and helped the top end a fair bit, Whats the best sort for these cars, ill probably make a cold air induction thingy too if that changes anything.

That's about all ill be doing to the car for a while, but there's some more smaller things id be doing at the same time, eg, HID kit, sportier wheel, bucket seat, strip interior,sound system, window tint and repairing rust etc.

I hope this wasn't to long winded, as these are the things running through my mind and instead of open heaps of individual threads about what to do if i do it here people can come check out the theory and practice behind each modification.

For reference I'm located in the southern highlands, and am willing to travel for parts or for help, I'm also keen to give someone a hand igf they get stuck around this area.

If you have any pointers post em up or pm me and ill get photos when i get the car.

Cheers For all the future help I'm sure ill get

Josh.

Edited by 71-BEETLE-SEDAN

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah baby! Dude I like where you're planning on going with this car.

Tyres: I've always found 195/50r15 a good size for corolla's, plus they are cheap. Think 595 RSR

Headers: Could do the 20V extractors? Cheap, need a few mods to fit.

Brakes: Its possible to fit SV21 camry brakes, fair bit more sizeable.

Coilovers: Bazda now sells a proper kit specifically for these, and at a good price!

Okay, so Ive been driving the car around for a bit now and am enjoying it.

Now its time has come for the first mod. Camshafts and cold air intake.

Ive been reading a lot about it so far and Ive come up with the idea that a set of 246 cams would be the best, don't need an aftermarket computer or anything. Ive been looking at adjustable pulleys too, to make it idle factory smooth again. Ill also do the timing belt while I'm there.

Now, which brand should i be on the lookout for,buy them from eBay or online or go to a shop?

As for the intake, is there an off the shelf item, or should i buy some flexitube and a run a pod down behind the front bar?

Cheers

there's nothing wrong with the stock intake system. Just whack a K&N pannel filter in. that's all i ran in mine and it was perfect. Gained more horse power then any POD system will. Just cut a round hole in the stock box then run abit of flexi pipe down to the front bar as you where going to do with the pod. Also this will stop rain getting the filter wet as your still keeping the stock box...

As for cams don't bother unless your gonna spend money on getting the heads ported and flowed and what not. Just get a full exhaust system,better intake setup also better leads and plugs will do wonders. then when you have the money then you can pull down the motor.

New filter it is then.

Yeah i have done a bit of reading and the stock exhaust manifold is good for quite high figures as is the intake manifold, so they don't need changing yet.

It has a set of plugs and leads on the way now, purchased today.

Also got a quote for some federal 595s today, pretty stoked about that, now its time to get em cheaper.

And i was driving fast the other day, and come around a corner a bit to hot and the arse end slipped out a bit, how can i fix this, or do i just gotta go slower? First time its happened to me in a fwd car, used to rear wheel drive cars tho so kept it out of the gutter.

Do i need larger sway bars? More camber? Strut braces?

Cheers

And i was driving fast the other day, and come around a corner a bit to hot and the arse end slipped out a bit, how can i fix this, or do i just gotta go slower? First time its happened to me in a fwd car, used to rear wheel drive cars tho so kept it out of the gutter.

Do i need larger sway bars? More camber? Strut braces?

Cheers

Ah "lift off oversteer". FWD cars take a little getting used too after driving a RWD for a while A bigger sway bar will make it turn in way quicker. A genuine "twin cam" should come factory with at least a front strut brace.

Webers4x48 has a set of "bazda" coilovers in his twinky seca. Well worth the money!! If your planing on using it as a daily id ask for a softer spring rate but if it's mainly a track car the spring he supplies is about right. From memory about the same price as Peders oem type struts with low springs.

Stu.

Yeah its got a front strut brace, what about a rear?

It was odd, ive driven a charade around the same corner and harder and never had it happen, guess this one is just lighter or something. The car seems to have some pretty fat sway bars on it already, Whats the factory size for these cars front and back.

The car already has some pedders shocks and lowering springs, maybe ill sell em to buy the coil-overs, where am i searching for bazda?

Chuur

The car already has some pedders shocks and lowering springs, maybe ill sell em to buy the coil-overs, where am i searching for bazda?

Chuur

Bazda is his log in name on here and twincam.org that I know of. He has a really serious ae-9x levin.

I doubt you'd need a rear strut brace leigh's(weber4x48) ae-82 seca is ridgid enough to pick up a wheel coming up gutters etc.

Stu.

Coil overs = Ordered

Tyres = Ordered

Intake = In process.

Where do people get high flowing air cleaners from, Ive tried all over the internet and nothing to suit the stock air box, I'm about to go down to the wreckers get me a civic air box, or something that they make high flows for and fit it up to my car, or is there another source out there?

And Ive ordered some flex i tubing to run some brake ducts and a path for cold air straight into the intake box.